dell Optiplex gx280

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: dell Optiplex gx280

Nice pics! It looks like this problem might not be all Nichicon's fault. The issue with those small form factor cases is that there's little to no airflow under normal operating conditions, which leads that area by the CPU to get very hot. The only time the CPU fan spins up faster is if the proc gets REALLY hot. I never liked that design... Anyway, considering it's only the caps located in the hottest part of the whole case that are failing, makes me think that the temps are just too far over the spec....
    Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

That may be the case. Then again on some boards the caps near the RAM-slots are failing too. I haven't seen this in more then 2 or 3 of the 50 cases we have so far. That could of course be because of heat. Maybe the PC is placed by a radiator or something..

Comment

yes heat could accellerate failure and also the imac g5's with the same issue were in small cases. But there was also failure on the intel boards and others which were probably in normal atx cases.

i thought it is interesting that in some cases the caps are almost all showing identical failure which indicates a common problem with them, rather than seeing just one or two fail.
        capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

It's been awhile since I posted anything, but I've been hugely busy recapping every damn thing I can get my hands on as well as re-fanning every proprietary power supply I can get my hands on in those "name brand " machines. This turned out to be quite a lucrative side business since I know how to do what the help desks can't.

Wanted to post a reply to all of you out there with DELL clam shell SFF machines i.e. Optiplex GX50 GX150 and the like with those damned low profile PSUs.

The model I'm looking at right now is an HP-L1116F3P. This is a piece of s$#t of a PSU made by HIPRO, hence the HP in the P/N. I found out about these people after quoting and repairing (recap and new fan) many of the HP-F1106F3 PSUs, as well as the MBs, (damned Chssi s%@t!) (IBM FRU# 00N7673) found in IBM NetVista 6648 SFF machines. I've posted previous about the high use of Chssi in the MBs on these machines, but the PSUs all contain G-LUXONs. The PSU fans are cheap Adda sleeve types of the less common 20mm thickness, but I found a great replacement and these puppies are working great!

Ok back to the DELL issues- the above listed PSU P/N for the Optiplex is a single PCB design (unlike the IBM which is two PCBs stacked opposing) with G-LUXON all over it and an externally mounted (unlike IBM) 20mm thick fan- sound familiar! I can do these as fast as they come in and DELL thinks they are band-aiding the problem by changing MBs and offering refurb. PSUs. HaHaHa! I took apart one of their refurbs supplied to me by a customer and it had the same crappy caps in it as the one that it replaced. It only lasted 3 months.

Folks it's time to learn how to do what we used to do in America. Build it oursleves and build it right. We've gotten so lazy and happy with the communist Chinese and the Taiwanese building every damned thing on demand that we aren't responsible for our own mess. We can't even fix our own s&$t that we designed and had them produce. No one knows how! They just pull and put, replace or throw away. I'm glad I learned the jack-of-all-trades "survival of the fittest" method of life from my parents so I live right in this world.

Just remember people- that college degree everyone's trying to ram down their children's throat the last twenty years won't save you if you can't think and have common sense to survive. One day you will realize that the majority of those you rely on to do your grunt work are more valuable than you! Not all grunts are great, but the really intelligent one's are hard to get and expensive, for a reason!
          Last edited by willawake; 02-23-2006, 02:10 AM. Reason: lets have some paragraphs

Comment

Dell has finally agreed to change the motherboards on all of our 1300+ GX280's bad caps or not.

Comment

excellent news

Comment

Originally posted by axlmastr

The model I'm looking at right now is an HP-L1116F3P. This is a piece of s$#t of a PSU made by HIPRO, hence the HP in the P/N. I found out about these people after quoting and repairing (recap and new fan) many of the HP-F1106F3 PSUs, as well as the MBs, (damned Chssi s%@t!) (IBM FRU# 00N7673) found in IBM NetVista 6648 SFF machines. I've posted previous about the high use of Chssi in the MBs on these machines, but the PSUs all contain G-LUXONs. The PSU fans are cheap Adda sleeve types of the less common 20mm thickness, but I found a great replacement and these puppies are working great!

Ok back to the DELL issues- the above listed PSU P/N for the Optiplex is a single PCB design (unlike the IBM which is two PCBs stacked opposing) with G-LUXON all over it and an externally mounted (unlike IBM) 20mm thick fan- sound familiar! I can do these as fast as they come in and DELL thinks they are band-aiding the problem by changing MBs and offering refurb. PSUs. HaHaHa! I took apart one of their refurbs supplied to me by a customer and it had the same crappy caps in it as the one that it replaced. It only lasted 3 months.
                i just got a bunch of dell psu in to repair.300 more on the way too.
                these have the hp prefix and are full of exploded arcon caps.
                the days of dell being a decent pc are long gone....

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu
                  the days of dell being a decent pc are long gone....
                  My dell dimension 2 y/o is still running great. Just opened the PSU a few days ago, OST primaries and OST secondaries also, nothing bulging or leaking. PSU made by Lite-On. It's more correct to say that the Optiplex line is crap. I had an optiplex P2 machine fry the IDE controller; it would boot up but not find HDDs when they were most obviously connected.
                  The great capacitor showdown!

Comment

> The model I'm looking at right now is an HP-L1116F3P. This is a piece of s$#t of a PSU made by HIPRO, hence the HP in the P/N. I found out about these people after quoting and repairing (recap and new fan) many of the HP-F1106F3 PSUs

If I'm not mistakan these have a proprietary controller marked HP-1001 or similar. I've seen several with busted Arcon and Asiacon caps - but all of them worked fine after full recapping. However, +5Vsb is apparently rated at only 1 A, so it probably won't work on i865 or newer Intel boards - should be OK on Socket A or Socket 754.

Comment

Thanks guys for the pictures and the info. I just ran into this problem today, darn heat sink!

-James-

Comment

Ok guys! I just bought a Sick Dell optiplex GX 150 to replace my even sicker old home built. Mine is the mini tower. Here is what goes on with these units as I'm told. There is some sort of voltage regulator daughterboard on the mobo. That daughterboard is next to a heatsink on one side, and the case on the other side. Its too close and can, and does short out sometimes. Now when it does short its bye bye PSU! Yes my Dell has a Hiro clunker PSU in it from this problem too. The simple fix for the problem is to just cover the backside of the daughterboard with electrical tape. Anyone who can run an iron will also want to put the extra long leeds from the burt Dell PSU on the replacement PSU. The long leeds are needed to open the suck butt clam shell Dell case without having to unplug most everything inside. Here are the numbers off the "original Dell" PSU. PS-5201-8D1, UR#E132068. I think an after market PSU would be the best choice since to Dell unit os only 200 watts. Next I'll dump that stupid green plastic little fan cpu cooler thing for a real CPU fan/cooler, and install a rear case fan too.
                        "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
                        Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
                        John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
                        Rod Serling

Comment

I have a full size case gx280 and my caps are bad....They all look like a frozen can and ther is a yellowish orange powder coming from 7 of the 9 caps at the haet sink between the cpu and the printer port. I did but some 1800uf 6.3v caps but they are the wrong size....After finally finding the right 1800 uf and 6.3v i bought them....only 8 bucks shipped for 9 caps...but these are about 12mm and they will not fit without running together. I looked at digikey and mosler but they are all 12mm ...mine are 8mm wide. Can somebody point me in the right direction to get 9 of the correct size. I have a local store that has a 2200uf at 6.3v. that is 9mm. will that work or will ir fry my mobo?

where can I get 9 1800 uf @ 6.3v 8mm caps?

oh yeah my original were nichicon 1800uf 6.3v 105 degrees and have a marking on them of HN(M). A0332 and that is it.

Comment

Ok sierra here's the deal. I just repaired this mobo two days ago and all I did was use the same Panasonics on all of the boards I've repaired. So what if they're 10 or 12mm O.D.! All you do is place the center one and then the two that go either side of the center (if it's the three under the that damned heatsink) get their leads bent so perfectly that they are placed offset of their mounting holes but well spaced from the center cap. It's like an "S" shaped lead made from two 90 degree bends. It takes a little practice with some fine nosed pliers to do the bending and get the legs the right lengths, but anyone can get it. Other members here have mentioned this method of bending the leads and dry fitting the caps until the desired offset is acheived because some of the damn heatsinks for the proc infringe on the mounting area anyway (slot 1 Pentium II and Celerons were notable for this). The OEM uses the smaller O.D. cap for space issues around the CPU when in many cases, good cap or not, the placement is a contributor to the failure issue in the first place. The heatsinks radiate so much heat that the cap's close proximity doesn't allow for heat dissipation from the cap and the heat kills the cap anyway. Nichi HNs were just plain bad for the conditions they were subjected to in the first place because they, though marked, are not as well suited for a high heat environment like the Rubys or Panis or United Chemis. The HNs in the Dells were usually Orange/Black and about 10-12mm high for 1500uF 6.3V and about 15-20mm high for 1800uF 6.3V. 1500s remind me of OS-CON 820/4 on the GX50s- like short "oils cans". Hope this helps because I do many of these out of warranty and don't have any comebacks. I'm still repairing the PSU for the Optiplexs if anyone is interested. I know these Dells inside and out.

Comment

Hey guys, I just joined here after my two desktop GX280's crapped out on me and both on the same day. Am I correct in understanding (after reading this) that the caps on the board are all that is wrong here? What if I got two new cases with PSU's and new MB's and moved everything to it. Should it work or is there anything else you guys are having to replace?

I have the bad caps and the screaming fans like you guys all mentioned.

Comment

call up dell and get them to fix them.
                                at the very least they should send you replacement mobo's.
                                they are easy to change.

Comment

If they're under warranty get Dell to fix them. If not, it's cheaper and less time consuming for me to repair them then go through all of what you described. Turnaround is a day.

Comment

Just so that you guys know the cap kits sold here for the GX270 will not fix the GX280's. I know the kits don't say they will, but I was hopefull as I had not seen the full damage prior to recieving the kits. I had ordered two kits and they are each short 6 caps of replacing them all that are bad. This is what the GX280 has:

10 - nichicon 1800uF6.3v - All bad 8MM wide and about 20MM tall
                                    5 - nichicon 1500uF6.3v - All bad 10MM wide and about 12MM tall
                                    3 - nichicon 820uF6.3v - All bad 8MM wide and about 12MM tall

The GX270 kit has most of them but not all. I am off to find a local place that sells the rest. All in all I am pleased with the kits though. Good quality parts.

I don't have a warranty through Dell anylonger.

Comment

You can use NCC KZG 1500uF/6.3v/8mm to replace all of the 8mm caps, and there are numerous choices for the 10mm caps.

Comment

Yeah but the kit doesn't come with enough 8MM to replace those other caps. So, if the voltage is the same and the uF is higher I can use it in place of any smaller uf cap? I am no expert by any means. as you can probably tell. lol

Comment

you can use higher uf and/or higher voltage no probs.

Comment

Working...
                                          X