Dell Optiplex GX270

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell Optiplex GX270

ok here is the deal.. motherboard on my offbrand computer with an Intel Springdale-G I856 motherboard finally died on me after 6 years of use. I'm pretty sure it's due to a bad cap so I check the board and don't really find anything too out of the normal except for one cap in a row of bigger caps right next to the processor. seems one of caps is leaking this silverish stuff out of the top. that could explain why my computer would just reboot it's self constantly and randomly after warming up. any ways on to my question about the dell optiplex gx270!!! after my computer died I need a cheap replacement so I looked around and found a dell optiplex gx270 for 50 bucks without the hd and or ram which didn't matter because I have the 300 gig seagate and the gig of kingston PC-2700 from my old pc in this dell. I bought the computer and then after I did I then found out about the massive problems with the caps on it. Stupid I know yes I should have done some research before hand. ok so how do I tell if this is one of the early model's which seemed to have the bad caps or a later model which from what I was reading seemed to be more stable. the computer hasn't got here yet it should be here any day now and if it does have the bad caps the seller has a 30 day return policy so I can get rid of it and get something else

Re: Dell Optiplex GX270

open it up and look at the caps. if any cap is bulging, or it has Nichicon HM or HN with a datecode ealier than 2005 (should say something like H0537 .. 05 being the year, 37 the week) -> return (if you don't wanna recap it)
    ticking timebombs...

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony84
      found a dell optiplex gx270 for 50 bucks without the hd and or ram which didn't matter because I have the 300 gig seagate and the gig of kingston PC-2700 from my old pc in this dell. I bought the computer and then after I did I then found out about the massive problems with the caps on it. Stupid I know
      Not stupid. The Optiplex GX-270 is an excellent machine. Fix the caps and it will work for a long time. I switched all my hodge podge computers to repaired GX-270 until the GX-280 became available then switched.
      sig files are for morons

Comment

agree.. I got one in here about a year ago with the replaced caps on it and I believe that they were replaced with rubycon's... if I remember right.. but i am not sure if that was a factory replacement thing or a personal recapping done either.. if you are up to it, i would just recap both of the motherboards (if they need it).. do both at once.. would make a nice spare setup if you need it later..

Comment

well good news all the larger caps say rubycon on them from what I understand are the quality caps phewww I sweated that one out alittle loll

Comment

one thing to check.. the one that i got in here, there was 1 cap at the front of the board (if i remember right) that were starting to show some wear (tops starting to pop up). if so make sure that there are none on yours that are doing the same. I just replaced that one bad cap as the rest were fine.. of course that may have been a fluke too that there was 1 bad one..

Comment

Is there someplace that shows the different caps that need to be replaced per board? I saw the one for the ff board my mine is a smt (small mid-tower). That is 4 ram slots and 4 expansion card slots plus video. A nice pic with arrows for that board on which to replace would be awesome.

Comment

They aren't that consistent.
                Even though the same model board not every smt GX270 board will have the same assortment of caps.
                "Cap position 1" might have an MBZ on one board, a FJ on the next, and a MCZ on another.

They do use all Japanese caps but their were these wonderful HM and/or HN Series Nichicons with date codes between 2001 and 2004 that have a manufacturing defect,, those need to go regardless of bloating.

You either replace just the bloated ones or everything 6.3mm diameter and larger depending on your point of view.

The Dell Optiplex caps go bad either due to the defective HM & HN or excessive heat.
                SMT boards don't usually fail due excessive heat.

Are you sure you don't have a bum PSU or a dead/dying fan?
                I've seen a lot of smt boards with blown chipsets suggesting there is some issue with [some of] the PSUs they used.
                [They don't use the same PSU in every one either...]
                Mann-Made Global Warming.
                - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                -
                You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                -

Comment

well, I've had to start for no video. I almost always fail to get it to boot up. It MAY start booting up but usually fails before the O/S loads. And there are at least 2 burst caps and 2 swelled caps on the mobo. I know every board is different on the caps it may need replacing. But the photo of the one board has circles and arrows of what needs replacing if it is the defective type. Just wondering if there was a similar pic for my type. Not so much "these have to be replaced" so much as "If you have bad caps, these are the ones to check".

Comment

I already answered that question.

>> You either replace just the bloated ones or everything 6.3mm diameter and larger depending on your point of view.

Point of view => Do you want just a repair or a complete overhaul?
                    That's up to you.

HN and HM with bad dates should be treated as bloated caps even if they aren't.

If you are speaking of the drawing I think you are, I am the creator and therefore legally the legitimate copyright owner. The guy on that other site is breaking the law in claiming he holds the copyright.
                    Mann-Made Global Warming.
                    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                    -
                    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                    -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
                      I already answered that question.

>> You either replace just the bloated ones or everything 6.3mm diameter and larger depending on your point of view.

Point of view => Do you want just a repair or a complete overhaul?
                      That's up to you.

HN and HM with bad dates should be treated as bloated caps even if they aren't.

If you are speaking of the drawing I think you are, I am the creator and therefore legally the legitimate copyright owner. The guy on that other site is breaking the law in claiming he holds the copyright.
                      IMO while its all apart replace them all whether bad or not. Its not that much more work

Comment

Dell customers are reporting that Optiplex models including the GX270, SX270 and GX280 are failing due to defects in other components, including potentially the hard drive, power supply, fans, ICH5 chipset and DDR2 RAM. Hagens Berman Sobol Shapiro LLP, a law firm based in Seattle, is investigating these claims and wants to hear from consumers whose Optiplex computers have exhibited frequent crashes, so-called blue screens of death, no-post issues, disk drive malfunctions, thermal failures or other issues. Learn more here: hbsslaw.com/delloptiplex.

Comment

Working...
                        X