Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dell Dimension 4700 MB

^
    That board is s775. It should be newer than '05. I doubt the original Nichicons would be a problem.
    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

KZJ and KZE aren't known to fail like KZG's are. I'm not saying its not bad, but, its unlikely
      Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
      ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

That's a good point.I did however align it correctly Whoops.This was supposed to be a reply to Momaka.Did it wrong.
        Last edited by Philpc; 03-23-2013, 01:30 PM. Reason: Placed reply in wrong place

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
          ^
          That board is s775. It should be newer than '05. I doubt the original Nichicons would be a problem.
          Not sure when it was made but the PC was bought in spring of '05.

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
            KZJ and KZE aren't known to fail like KZG's are. I'm not saying its not bad, but, its unlikely
            Wrong. KZJ are. They are just not used as commonly, so we don't hear of quite as many failures. KZE are fine - up there with their Rubycon and Panny equivilants.
            I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

I did some more looking at the mb and am wondering about some of the smaller caps;they have no vent lines on top.In the first picture there are 5 smaller ones;one is at the end of the PCI slot and has a reddish tint and then there are 4 others in kind of the "11:00 position" on the board under a mb screw hole.
              In the second picture it's in the center of the picture forward of the power slot.

Please advise.

thanks again
              Attached Files

Comment

Still awaiting help. BTW they are 22 uF 25v.I was thinking I'd go ahead and replace them but am having trouble finding replacements on Digikey.Advice on that is appreciated.

thanks again

Comment

Any of these caps at Digikey will do for the 22 uF 25V ones:
                  493-1893-ND
                  493-1853-ND
                  565-1599-ND
                  P12927-ND
                  565-1703-ND
                  P15154-ND
                  P14452-ND

I still suggest you replace the KZJ too. Also, re-read my post at #20 and check the date on those Nichicon HN and HM caps. If the board was made in 2005 as c_hegge suggested, there is some chance Dell may have used old stock Nichicon caps from 2004, so check.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                    Any of these caps at Digikey will do for the 22 uF 25V ones:
                    493-1893-ND
                    493-1853-ND
                    565-1599-ND
                    P12927-ND
                    565-1703-ND
                    P15154-ND
                    P14452-ND

I still suggest you replace the KZJ too. Also, re-read my post at #20 and check the date on those Nichicon HN and HM caps. If the board was made in 2005 as c_hegge suggested, there is some chance Dell may have used old stock Nichicon caps from 2004, so check.
                    Don't have one in front of me at the moment, but if memory serves, Dell used bipolar 22uf and 220uf 25v caps in the audio section, might want to double check before replacing them with standard polar caps.

Comment

Guys thanks again for the help.Health problems have prevented me from further working on it but now am better and am ordering more capacitors. I know in a previous post that I was ready to chuck the motherboard but I'm so intrigued by the possibility that for a few $ I might have the PC working again.
                      This time I'm ordering about 20 more various through hole sizes and will what that does.
                      I'll let you know after I'm finished.
                      thanks again!

Comment

I'm back to the MB and progressing fine with the replacements.Have 3 more questions.First some of the capacitors are Rubycon.Where they also have the production problems back in 04-05 time frame?
                        Second a couple of the caps I have bought have a diameter a little larger than the original.Does that present a problem? Third are the chip type caps likely to fail also?

thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by Philpc View Post
                          First some of the capacitors are Rubycon.Where they also have the production problems back in 04-05 time frame?
                          No, Rubycon have been all fine. Although if you have any Rubycon MCZ that have been in a very hot spot on the motherboard for long enough, they will go bad eventually.

Second a couple of the caps I have bought have a diameter a little larger than the original.Does that present a problem?
                          As long as you can fit them on the board and they don't interfere with each other or other components (space-wise, that is), then it shouldn't be a problem. However, you will find that you may have to have the capacitors slightly raised from the board - all of this due to the fact that they will have slightly larger lead spacing and thus you won't be able to get them flush to the board.

Third are the chip type caps likely to fail also?
                          On LCD monitor t-con boards and in laptops - yes. But on desktop motherboard - no.

Comment

Thanks so much.Will keep on replacing the Nichicon and see what happens.

Comment

Working...
                            X