bad caps on intel 865 gbf motherboard.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bad caps on intel 865 gbf motherboard.

discovered several days ago that my intel motherboard 865 gbf, bought about a year and a half ago, has open and leaking capacitors. the computer parts store here (in vancouver bc canada) reluctantly agreed to provide me with a new replacement. when i get that new board, i will be keeping a paranoid and suspicious eye on it, forever. the board is somewhat usable under linux, being flaky and unpredictable only occasionally. under window$ xp pro, it either works really good or not at all, with major system instabilities. thanks, badcaps, for cluing me in to my horrible little mess.
    Attached Files

Re: bad caps on intel 865 gbf motherboard.

No surprise at all there. Nichicon HM series which are known leakers. Your replacement board should have Rubycon in place of the HM.
    The great capacitor showdown!

Comment

near the cpu, the black with orange gold stripe are the nichicon HN or HM. Like Chris said, those are the ones guaranteed to fail. Check on your new board to see if you can find any.

If you cant then the new board should be fine for years. Dont worry about any other nichicon series they are fine.
      capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

I put one of these on my bench this afternoon, trying to figure it out. Damn thing hard reboots like you hit the reset switch. I can boot up to a live linux cd with no problem and run that. But I am trying to install windows xp on it, it does the first step and copies all the files to the hard drive, then reboots and it has the initial detecting hardware 39 minutes remain screen for about 30 seconds and reboots instantly. It was running in a machine with windows xp many months, and it developed this problem suddenly.

I ended up upgrading the owners computer and he left me the board with cpu. Have a new power supply hooked up, new ram, new cdrom, new hard drive, has onboard video, and have tried a different cpu.

Comment

looks like the op could creat a mini dust storm blowing that box out.
          and i had a similar board with a bootlooping issue where the nichicons were just barely bulging.scope showed lots of crap on vcore
          a recap fixed it.

Comment

The 4 caps behind the parallel port were nichicon HMM, I replaced those with rubycon, still no luck. Installed linux with no problem, ran prime 95 for 2 hours, played some chromium, worked fine. Flashed bios to p24, now it works perfect!

Dont understand it, but happy.

Comment

got my replacement intel 865 gbf motherboard today, with marked reluctance from the local comp parts dealer to help me with this still-under-warranty matter. intel's customer support was eventually very fast and helpful, after having grasped the nature of the problem. in the store, i closely examined the new board before accepting it, and it does indeed have high-quality rubycon capacitors. a couple are slightly different values, but the machine works fine under boot-from-cd ramdisk linux. no burn-in period yet, and i'll test windows later. even bios is back to its original, usual behaviour. (this board came with intel's most recent bios version.) all my electrons are once again spinning correctly and happily, and i can hardly wait for something else to happen. so far, in addition to this capacitor leakage, i've had to deal with a fried hard drive (my fault, i think), bad memory (i now avoid cheap memory, and have top-class ocz which is great), faulty operating systems (several windows, many linux/unix), and the great void within my head which is actually larger than anything outside of my head. i thank everyone for their information, and i hope that ratting out intel is helpful to others. intel should not have had this problem, but the company was quite rapid in helping me once i found a customer support agent who had sufficient coffee for the day. i will wait a bit longer before getting an asus motherboard or other parts, for my eventual second machine. i usually like to buy stuff absolutely new, under warranty, for full price; especially this time, i'm glad i did but i'll still be very careful as i acquire more parts. thanks, everyone.
              Attached Files

Comment

a couple are slightly different values
                which ones did you mean?

the MCZ 820uf 6.3 are very common next to the cpu on intel boards, they are the best non polymer electrolytics that rubycon make. the silver and blue caps next to them appear to be polymer caps, i believe they are Chemicon NPCAP PSA series. they are rated for 680uf 2.5v and at those values they are probably direct replacements for the 820uf 6.3 MCZ. looks good.

did you see any yellow caps with K vents?

what revision is that new board ? it will say on the box and board something like -206
                Last edited by willawake; 11-22-2005, 04:07 AM.

Comment

you are correct. the replacement cap values on the motherboard are identical to originals, except for 2. the original value was 820 microfarad; the new parts have a value of 680 microfarads. otherwise, it's all the same. i believe the revision number is '-412'. see the attached photos, one closeup including serial and production numbers, and the other photo showing the new board as a whole. i do not see any yellow caps with the 'k' vent. i've made a few simple modifications to my machine, like a bios hard-switch which replaces the standard jumper, and fan switches to manually control airflow, etc. (these changes are not related to capacitor problems, but are for my convenience, and may be partly visible in some of the photos.)
                  Attached Files

Comment

looks great. its a really late revision.

thanks for the photos. now you got me thinking about trying to get a late revision replacement for my d875pbzlk

Comment

DAMN!!!

I has the exact same board with the exact same failed capacitors about a year ago. A guy here in Cebu, Philippines (were i'm currently residing) recapped it for me. And the board is now back to operational status.

(BTW the guy I was taling about names Ruel, happens to be the only person in this part of the country who recaps mobos. :-))
                      CPU: Sempron 2500+ / P4 2.8E / P4 2.6C / A64 x2 4000+ / E6420 / E8500 / i5-3470 / i7-3770
                      GPU: TNT2 M64 / Radeon 9000 / MX 440-SE / 7300GT / Radeon 4670 / GTS 250 / Radeon 7950 / 660 Ti / GTS 450

Main Driver: Intel i7 3770 | Asus P8H61-MX | MSI GTS 450 | 8GB of NO NAME DDR3 RAM (2x4GB) | 1TB SATA HDD (W.D. Blue) | ASUS DVD-RW | 22" HP Compaq LE2202x (1920x1080) | Seasonic S12II-620 PSU | Antec 300 | Windows 7 Ultimate with SP1

Comment

Got the same mother board intel 865 gbf

don't have the problem with bad caps but i found the cmos checksum error continously whenever i started the computer.
                        searched for the error n tried to trouble shoot it. while doing it i removed the battery in order to see if its alive or not, found the battery is hot. searched for the cause and found that NTB 18NO6L ic's which r located next to the battery r getting real hot. If smone has the same board plz tell me is it normal or its the begining of a big fault, rest of th pc is at room temp, if u touch these ic's in working mode they even nearly burn ur finger(70-75 C may be) they r really hot.
                        plz tell me is that normal or not , bcoz i don't look in to my pc that often .
                        Attached Files

Comment

Not sure if those are linear regulators to supply 2.5v to the AGP slot - somebody here can confirm/contradict this hypothesis. If so, they'll get hot with a heavy load in the AGP slot. 70-75c is not too high for a high-current power FET - they're usually rated to 150c. However, if they get too hot, they'll melt the solder and desolder themselves.

Comment

this pic is not of my motheboard(apolgz)

its to show the fets that r getting hot, i pickd this pic frm the above thread, soon i'll put the pic of my motherboard.
                            my mother board is havin a lancard installed in first pci slot and nothin installed in AGP slot, so thats may not be the cause.
                            can 70-85c cause badcaps, bcoz the capcitor next to the fets is gettin hot too

i'hv started a thread >>

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4465
                            Last edited by Wolus; 10-16-2007, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Every time I see an Intel 865 lately, it's got leaking caps. I've recapped one and am currently using it with a 3.0 Prescott cpu and it works rock solid and stable with XP.
                              I used 1000uf/6.3 to replace the old leaking 820's. 820uf proved to be too difficult to find locally.
                              I've now got another one to do but need a Prescott P4 and some 400ddr ram as well.
                              I'll recap it and watch for the parts I need.

Intel is very aware of problems with this board:
                              http://www.intel.com/cd/channel/rese...tes/193414.htm

Comment

I ran into a herd of 865 boards at my son's place. All are well-used workstations, now in the surplus pile. All have KZG, etc in place, none are bulged. All are running 3.2 Prescotts, known to be a hot runner.

Comment

Bought a 2.8 Prescott on ebay for $32 incl shipping for my latest 865 board.

The Prescotts in these boards are baking the hell out of the 820/6.3's beside the CPU but there are 2 or 3 others of the same value elsewhere on the board that go at the same time so I am not making the assumption this is heat related.

Virtually every Intel 865 board I come across now needs these caps replaced.

Comment

i have been using 820@2.5 polymers in these.
                                    the reason these boards have such tall caps for 820 8mm lytics is they are special ultra low esr types.

Comment

Q: is the 2.5v spec for these polys due to the VRM output being below 2.5v?

Sorry about newbie question, I have not studied how the VRM operates.

I have some Intel boards with 820/6.3 around the CPU socket. These are interspersed with polymers. I was thinking about recapping them with MCZ. Would all polymer be a better idea?

Comment

Working...
                                      X