Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing Capacitors in Sega (and other) Consoles

Hello

I have been on a bit of a re-capp'ing adventure of late.

I have replaced the capacitors in

Sega Mega Drive model 1 VA6
    Sega Mega CD model 1 (x2)
    Sega 32X (x2)
    Sega Genesis 2 VA2.3

I now have the case of the guilts as I have used cheap capacitors (JackCon etc).

While they work fine (the SMD caps in the Sega/Mega CD model 1's had leaked) I would like to re-visit these and replace with decent capacitors, I am thinking Rubycon or Panasonic. Also thinking of getting from Element14 vs eBay as

1/They SHOULD be genuine and

2/The price difference is about the same

3/No waiting 3-4 weeks for the capacitors.

Now my question extends to which series of capacitor should I use?

For example we have for Panasonic series AM (13cents each) up to GA (82cents each).

I am thinking of getting the middle cost option say AD, FC or M series.

Is this the right train of thought? Anything has got to be better than what I foolishly put in there. I should have known better as I worked as an Electrical Fitter for nigh on 10 years building circuit boards. Not in designing and spec'ing hence the questions.

Thank you Pete
    Last edited by omp; 06-30-2013, 05:34 AM.

Re: Replacing Capacitors in Sega (and other) Consoles

Of the 5 Panasonic series you listed, the only one that seems to be a low impedance, long life series is FC. FC is a very good, low impedance, durable, series. If Element14 is a reputable distributor, use them and avoid eBay, which folks here regard as a "reliable" source of fake and counterfeit parts. Also, look into Badcaps owner Topcat's terms for shipping to Oz. He has genuine parts.
    PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
    To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

I don't think those need low impedance caps. Panasonic M series or Nichicon VR series will work. If they use a switching power supply, using Panasonic FC series for filtering might be good.

Comment

Pretty much concur. FC (like Nichicon PW or UCC/NCC LXZ) is low impedance, but not extremely so. OTOH, it's also a long life series (ala PW and LXZ; some of the others omp cited are 1000 and 2000 hour series), which may be a very useful characteristic.
        PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
        To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Thank you for the information.

I have to redo one of my capacitor lists as I misplaced the original! D'oh!

Comment

Sorry for double posting....

The further I look into this, the more options I have, for Panasonic I have

KS
            KA
            NHG
            FC
            M
            AM
            GA

etc....

I think I will as advised stick with either M or FC.

Comment

Working...
            X