Wireless card driver issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless card driver issue

As some of you may know, I got a Dell C640 for my grandmother and ordered a Broadcom based mini PCI card so that it could have wireless connectivity with the provided inbuilt antenna. I waited 2 weeks and the wireless card came from Hong Kong. No biggie there at all.
    Anyway, I installed it and Windows XP detects that the card is there and says it's an unknown "network controller", no biggie there either.
    Now when I try to install the driver it doesn't install! I've run the stupid EXE file over and over again and it doesn't install and application nor a driver. I even extracted the driver and manually made Windows look for the driver in the extracted files and it still tells me it can't find the correct driver.

This is the card I bought: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/320436515...ht_3458wt_1071

I'm just frustrated it won't work even though I've tried the right apparent driver... unless some fuckwit sold me a fake card that says "broadcom" on the chip but is really some other shit chip in there....
    Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Re: Wireless card driver issue

first step: uninstall the driver. (it's a must)
    second: turn off the computer.
    third step: remove the wireless card from the computer.
    forth step: turn on the computer and install the driver (without the wireless card)
    fifth step: turn off the computer.
    sixth step: install the wireless card and reboot.

if the above doesn't work, most likely the card is defective.

Comment

some wireless card cannot find their driver just because you have not install the software before you install the hardware.
      it sounds wired, but it happened to me so many times.
      Last edited by belippy; 06-02-2012, 11:13 AM.

Comment

i got a knock off nvidia from china! did not think anything of it! downloaded multiple drivers from nvidia sight! all to no avail! came with a drivers disk(prefer downloaden up dated drivers) used it an it worked fine! at bottom of page ya posted there a link for drivers! try there drivers!

Comment

Originally posted by t.j. View Post
          at bottom of page ya posted there a link for drivers! try there drivers!
          That's what I did! No-go
          Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

look up the ViD and PID in the device manager, then check the driver .inf file if it's listed there.
            "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Comment

Originally posted by kikkoman View Post
              look up the ViD and PID in the device manager, then check the driver .inf file if it's listed there.
              Thanks for the tip! I completely forgot about ViD and PiD... turns out what the seller provided me was just an application, not a driver. Once I found the correct INF files off the net for Broadcom it worked!

Comment

Originally posted by stevo1210 View Post
                Thanks for the tip! I completely forgot about ViD and PiD... turns out what the seller provided me was just an application, not a driver. Once I found the correct INF files off the net for Broadcom it worked!
                i use pcidatabase.com to check those VEN and DEV (also has usb; VID and PID)

Comment

Working...
                X