Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Supermicro curse strikes again

nice score.
    did one up for a local business a few weekends ago.
    the "ablecom" power supply gave up.
    total recap fixed that.
    still a lot of life in that platform.

Comment

Board came in, I can boot from it's chip but since the EATX versions didn't have a SATA version my onboard SATA is non function (can't boot from HDD).

I also can't hotflash as phlash16 sees the board as being the wrong model when I use the DAE chip and when I hotswap a different chip, it whines about memory managers being in place.

Also, Uniflash isn't working right; I tried copying the DAE image off the chip and then wrote it to the ebay chip and the chip doesn't boot anymore. good thing I didn't try it with the DAE's chip... I think the issue is the bootbock BS.

So, it looks like short of cannibalizing a non-EATX X5, I'm SOL (For some reason I remember trying to get a chip from supermicro and it not working out?). Damn.

Edit- what the hell, I tried emailing supermicro. Wish me luck.
      Last edited by ratdude747; 09-22-2014, 09:42 PM.
      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
        Edit- what the hell, I tried emailing supermicro. Wish me luck.
        When I built the replacement system for "big mama", the new SM board had a BIOS quirk that caused it to not allow it to boot from my 3ware SATA RAID controller. I emailed them, within an hour, they sent me a BIOS revision that wasn't even released yet, flashed, problem solved. My point, their support was superb!!

Good luck!!

I got an email from the seller I bought this latest SM experiment from, it shipped today. I guess that BIOS from that board won't do you any good if it can't be cloned and/or hotflashed.
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
        Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
        http://folding.stanford.edu/
        Team : 49813
        Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
          When I built the replacement system for "big mama", the new SM board had a BIOS quirk that caused it to not allow it to boot from my 3ware SATA RAID controller. I emailed them, within an hour, they sent me a BIOS revision that wasn't even released yet, flashed, problem solved. My point, their support was superb!!

Good luck!!

I got an email from the seller I bought this latest SM experiment from, it shipped today. I guess that BIOS from that board won't do you any good if it can't be cloned and/or hotflashed.
          nope, all X5DAL's use the same BIOS image. The X5DAE/DA8 use a different image though (SCSI addons instead of SATA addons). So, no pressure, but indeed an X5DAL-G chip would be a drop in replacement.
          Last edited by ratdude747; 09-23-2014, 06:20 AM.
          sigpic

Comment

nope, all X5DAL's use the same BIOS image. The X5DAE/DA8 use a different image though (SCSI addons instead of SATA addons). So, no pressure, but indeed an X5DAL-G chip would be a drop in replacement.
            Yes, i know the chip would work...but that would simply render another board dead, theres nothing to be gained unless the BIOS can be replicated. Did you test that other board to see if it works?
            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
            Team Stats

Comment

As I don't have another set of coolers, no.

Supermicro told me it's too old but to check with the RMA dept. just to be sure.

Dun dun dun... She may be dead. and I don't have another EATX case. damn.
              sigpic

Comment

Found a place that has blank chips:

https://www.rocelec.com/parts/results/all/?s=N82802AB8

Too bad they require $50 minimum... damn. Now I see why BCN was born!

edit- some place called freelance electronics has one in stock... for $10. $10 minum order... I'll try it. Hell,what's left to lose here?

edit2 - NM, as if I can't write the DAL bios, then what for? the link to ^ is here btw:

http://rcfreelance.com/searchresults...mber=N82802AB8

I'd need another bIOS chip with the right bios to boot up, and then use the blank to hopefully write. TC, If I shipped you a chip, would you be dumb.. er, I mean kind enough to try a hotflash? No pressure but I had to ask.
                Last edited by ratdude747; 09-23-2014, 12:20 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

I'd need another bIOS chip with the right bios to boot up, and then use the blank to hopefully write. TC, If I shipped you a chip, would you be dumb.. er, I mean kind enough to try a hotflash? No pressure but I had to ask.
                  Sure, send it to me.....with a lab rat board to try it on, nothing to lose. My shipdesk machine was a different story....but this other one, yea, if I hose it, I wouldn't lose any sleep.
                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                  Team Stats

Comment

Well well well... SM says $20 shipped for a chip. I have to fill out and scan in a form but for $18 + $2 shipping a chip is mine. Easy fix IMHO... I'll also order a blank chip probably and try to hotflash a backup (so I can mod one with SLIC w/o the risk of a complete fuckup like I've seen).

Anybody want to buy/take an X5DAE with 2 CPUs and a mangled cooler mount (somewhat mushroomed)?
                    Last edited by ratdude747; 09-23-2014, 03:05 PM.
                    sigpic

Comment

Well well well... SM says $20 shipped for a chip. I have to fill out and scan in a form but for $18 + $2 shipping a chip is mine. Easy fix IMHO... I'll also order a blank chip probably and try to hotflash a backup (so I can mod one with SLIC w/o the risk of a complete fuckup like I've seen).

Anybody want to buy/take an X5DAE with 2 CPUs and a mangled cooler mount (somewhat mushroomed)?
                      I am interested, I could use another machine with PCI-X slots as a server for my 64bit Firewire 800 cards and external drive bays. Send me a PM with the details and what you want for it $ wise or if you need something in trade.

Comment

My SM bargain arrived, and just like I thought....tossed a GPU and some RAM in it and away it went....so if you need a BIOS copied, I've got a good one...but a fresh chip directly from SM, I don't think that will fail....unless you put it in backward or something...

Thanks for the heads-up on the ablecom power supply. this one works, but I guess it needs to come apart to be recapped....I wonder if I know someone that can do that?!
                        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                        Team Stats

Comment

Yup. The chip is in the mail.
                          sigpic

Comment

My SM bargain arrived, and just like I thought....tossed a GPU and some RAM in it and away it went....so if you need a BIOS copied, I've got a good one...but a fresh chip directly from SM, I don't think that will fail....unless you put it in backward or something...

Thanks for the heads-up on the ablecom power supply. this one works, but I guess it needs to come apart to be recapped....I wonder if I know someone that can do that?!
                            just remember to not grab the soldering iron by the pointy end!

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu View Post
                              just remember to not grab the soldering iron by the pointy end!
                              Waaaa?

Attached Files
                              "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

clever (russian?) girl, she knows such a big iron makes no sense, so she's trying to make a pencil out of it!
                                <wink>

Comment

WTF happened to my thread?

Once I get the chip and get it installed it will be back on topic.
                                  sigpic

Comment

WTF happened to my thread?

Once I get the chip and get it installed it will be back on topic.
                                    LOL...I hope so!! You'll have un-done your goofup that you blamed on Supermicro!! Remember the BIOS Savior from yesteryear? Those were awesome back in the days of experimenting with CPU microcodes, memory timings, and onboard peripheral firmwares (usually RAID controllers). Might try to find one before the next BIOS hacking experiment.
                                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                    Team Stats

Comment

LOL...I hope so!! You'll have un-done your goofup that you blamed on Supermicro!! Remember the BIOS Savior from yesteryear? Those were awesome back in the days of experimenting with CPU microcodes, memory timings, and onboard peripheral firmwares (usually RAID controllers). Might try to find one before the next BIOS hacking experiment.
                                      the only devices from yesteryear that I know of is POST cards... I'm too young and my dad didn't do BIOS mods or anything super hardcore like that (hence why I never was exposed to such). I will see about obtaining such...

(I never blamed supermicro... I was referring to a personal curse after a PDSGE went belly up not too long prior).
                                      sigpic

Comment

It uses the RD1-PMC4 kit... which, like all other Bios Savior kits, is out of production and from what I could find unobtainium. Damn.
                                        sigpic

Comment

Yay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/INTEL-N82802...item2c8be38b24

made an offer for two of them... cheapest source yet. I'll try to hotflash those off the new chip from supermicro and then, if they both work after the fact, I'll use one of them for modding (the SM sourced one will stay stock).
                                          Last edited by ratdude747; 09-29-2014, 03:01 PM.
                                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                          X