Proview 900W 19" WXGA LCD Monitor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proview 900W 19" WXGA LCD Monitor

I have a Proview 900W (P/N FV926AFW) 19" WXGA LCD monitor sitting next to me on my desk at the moment. There's a very strage problem with it. When I first bought it home today the screen would come on but after a few seconds the baclight would switch off and I'd be left with no backlight and a very dark display.
    I got cheseed off so I took the display apart and disconnected all internal cables leading to the LCD panel and reconnected them, I guess that solved the backlight issue for a while?.
    Since the backlight now came on, I could see the panel itself started doing strange things, the display was distorted and starting coming up with random lines.
    I reconnected the cables again thinking I may have made something loose, but nothing was loose.... the problem still persisted.
    I let it do the distortion thing for a while, in the meantime the LCD was getting warmer (due to the fact it was on) and the problems went away. It's like once the thing is warm it's fine. Now I can't get it to repeat the distorted display and it's been on for a few hours now without an issue.... only thing I've noticed is that the LCD isn't very evenly lit, the top is darker than the bottom of the display, but then I was reattaching the screws etc and noticed the variety of caps in the LCD.
    On the video board (i think thats what it's called), the caps are made by YEC.... yuck. None are physically bulging because they dont have vents on them. lol
    On the power supply, the caps being used are HEC brand and none seem to be bulging or leaking.... but HEC are a known bad brand so I'm not sure about this.
    I don't know what could be wrong, but now the LCD is working like any other normal LCD would (look at the pic with the Windows XP desktop and see what I mean by normal).
    What I want to know is why the bottom of the LCD is so bright and the top is darker than the bottom.... how many lights does an LCD have for backlight?
    Also could this monitor have bad caps to cause those issues I previously had? Anyway, I have pics enclosed to help show what I'm talking about.

Thanks.
    Attached Files
    Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Re: Proview 900W 19" WXGA LCD Monitor

OK, I found out that there are two bulbs that give out the backlight due to the two sets of cables leading to top and bottom. I'm guessing theres a short somewhere in the lighting system because I just had fireworks come out of the connector of the top lights once I connected the top light cables in. The connector on the cable has a small hole from the burning, but the connector on the PSU is fine.
    LCD panel still works, but backlight issue where it will shut off after 2 seconds is back.

Thanks.
    Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

Your monitor could have more than one CCFL (Cold Cathode Fluorescent Light), so I would check that out. Your inverter could also be failing, but I would try replacing the CCFL's first, it is cheaper.

Here's some links on the subject, You may find cheaper CCFL's somewhere else, though:
      http://www.lcdparts.net/CCFL1.aspx
      http://www.ccfldirect.com/ccfls.html
      http://www.suburban-elect.com/produc...FQcmIgodb3tCSw

Comment

I disconnected the cable to the top CCFL (it didnt work in the first place due to the clue of the darker top compared to the really bright bottom) and my display still does that 2 second shut off thing. Where is the inverter on this LCD?? I presume it's where the CCFL cables connect up to??.... if that's the case then the inverter is on the same board as the PSU.... and the PSU is filled with crappy HEC brand caps.

Thanks.

Comment

When the video modes change (e.g. 1024x768 to 1280x1024), the backlight comes on and then off again in two seconds, I thought that once the backlight cuts out, it stays off no matter what the video mode?? May seem strange but.... I'm trying to be optimistic about the state of this LCD....

Thanks.

Comment

The power board has two self contained inverter modules, black epoxy rectangles.
            You want to pay attention to anything you say has a hole burned in it, specially up at the tubes, that's not a good thing.
            And since you've shown the lcd drivers connected to the glass I'll warn you to be gentle with that section.
            Try not to move or disturb that assembly.
            Jim

Comment

Originally posted by arneson
              You want to pay attention to anything you say has a hole burned in it, specially up at the tubes, that's not a good thing.
              The connector of the cable to one of the CCFLs (top CCFL) have a small hole in it after I connected it wrongly. I can't find anything on the board that is physically burnt of damaged. I disconnected the cable to the top CCFL since the top CCFL light was faulty in the first places. I can't get to the tubes because i think they are concealed inside the panel itself.

Thanks.

Comment

Big screens with 12 or 16 flourescents are easier for replacement
                but the inverters become more trouble.
                This looks an awful lot like your board:
                http://cgi.ebay.com/Proview-PL926WBi...QQcmdZViewItem
                but I don't think you need this.
                Read where he says he wished he'd replaced the tubes.
                Jim

Comment

You'll have to dismantle it a bit more to get at the CCFL tubes. They should be mounted in a somewhat removeable section. Take pictures while you disassemble it. If you order new CCFL tubes from the internet, by the time they arrive you may have forgotten how it goes back together.

Comment

Is there any way to measure what voltage or current is coming out of the connectors to the tubes? (I know it sounds dangerous since it is high voltage) Maybe I have bad caps and the drop in voltage is causing the backlight to turn off?
                    Even with one bulb or vice versa installed, the backlight still cuts out, so I just had a thought that it may not b the tubes that are dead but more likely the inverter has gone south?

Thanks.

Comment

The connectors top and bottom should be identical.
                      Swap and see who lights and who doesn't.
                      Your ccfl wires are not just wire. its stranded flexible high voltage insulated wire, and you mentioned one was damaged.
                      Jim

Comment

Originally posted by arneson
                        The connectors top and bottom should be identical.
                        Swap and see who lights and who doesn't.
                        Your ccfl wires are not just wire. its stranded flexible high voltage insulated wire, and you mentioned one was damaged.
                        They are in fact identical and that's exactly what i did the other day. I swap the top to bottom and it started burning the connector on the wire once the top one was swapped to the bottom. At that time the bottom light was not plugged in. The bottom one is still fine and running without a problem except the darn thing just cuts out all backlight after a few seconds.

Thanks.

Comment

I reconnected the slightly tinged/ burnt connector to the board and guess what? The thing came back to life!
                          Except the top CCFL isn't working and it is slightly darker on top, but I don't mind.... it works for now so I am happy. It seems to me that I have to plug that top CCFL cable in to get the thing tow ork. I don't know why, but I think the inverter requires some load to start or maybe something like that.

Thanks.

Comment

The reason why it won't work with a CCFL removed is because almost all monitor inverters I've ever seen are designed to shut down in the event of a CCFL failure.

When you pulled the plug the fault circuitry tripped as if a lamp blew.

This is to prevent damage to both the inverter circuit and the display.

The top of the display is probably dimmer because the CCFL near the top is nearing the end of its life.
                            Last edited by Krankshaft; 07-29-2008, 02:23 PM.
                            Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Stevo got pissed off because the LCD died on him again yesterday. It now exhibits the exact same issues with the backlight continually turning off. And conincidentally this happened on a hot day because we've just moved into spring....

So I am now selling the LCD because I don't have the skills to fix it. If you're curious about it.... here it is....

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Faulty-Provie...QQcmdZViewItem

First time I've sold something on eBay so please excuse the crappy English I used for the auction.

Thanks.

Comment

Utter grabage. Sorry.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

Originally posted by Wizard
                                  Utter grabage. Sorry.

Cheers, Wizard
                                  Is this in relation to my english or the LCD?

Comment

The pick up only will make your ebay deal very difficult.
                                    Sorry you were not able to get it working.
                                    Your english is good enough.
                                    Jim

Comment

I work with flat panels of all kinds for a living: LCD (monitor and TV), DLP, plasma. This one is low of lowest junk. The mainboard is odd chip sourced cheaply, LCD either CMO or one other low end panel. Proview is not a maker, company sources stuff from other makers but not from brand makers as it is too expensive for proview's taste. Same examples of what Seanix does as well. Ditto to Viewsonic, and HP sometimes.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

The LCD auction on eBay was over yesterday and I couldn't actually believe that I got it sold for $52.50.... I was hoping for more like $5.00, but I guess it's worth more than $5.

Comment

Working...
                                        X