X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: echostar hds-600

@Agent24.
    Nooo.... I think you may be right.
    Had it running for two days now, but each day I have had trouble powering it up in the morning. Turning on from standby shows Checking hdd... for a long while. Usually takes 2 or 3 attempts to finally get it booted. I suspect, like you said, a bad cap still, and taking a while to build enough charge before it can power the HDD enough. Shame.
    Going to turn off the standby feature for now, but I guess I will need to buy and attempt to replace all the caps. Problem is working out which ones.
    Also worried about completely trashing the whole thing from trying.

You mentioned this is a multilayer board - how can you know or tell?
    Regards
    Jason

Comment

It will be a 6 or 8 layer board.
      That is necessary to break out the connections under the large processor in the middle of the board (BGA)
      Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
      For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Originally posted by bootlegger17 View Post
        I guess I will need to buy and attempt to replace all the caps. Problem is working out which ones.
        Without an ESR meter or access to one, you just have to replace them all and hope it solves the problem. This often does because cheap electrolytic capacitors are high failure components. In the event that some are bulging, that can help, but in your case there is no apparent visible clue - and in fact it may not even be the capacitors at all.

Also worried about completely trashing the whole thing from trying.
        Yes, it can be difficult. The best thing you can do is read up on proper technique, have good tools, and practice on as many old boards as you can get. Start with easier ones and work your way up. When you learn how to tell accurately if solder has melted properly on a single layer\double layer or other 'easy' boards, you can tell on the harder ones. If you don't know what to 'look' for you won't know if you're doing it right.

You mentioned this is a multilayer board - how can you tell?
        By looking at it Budm's explanation with the BGA example is a good giveaway.

Basically, if it's not single sided (and those are very obvious) - it will be at least two layers. Double-sided or two layers are only used in simple or older designs. For something modern and complex, expect at LEAST 4 layers, often more.
        "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
        -David VanHorn

Comment

Working...
        X