Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

APC Smart-UPS 1000- Should I install active cooling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

APC Smart-UPS 1000- Should I install active cooling?

Hey all. Just ran a manual on battery test just to see how well it'll hold the load.

It held the load fine (4 computers, a monitor, a D-Link switch, 2 routers, a clock, 3 incandescents, and a CFL), and it was around 76% load. I happened to take a look around the UPS because why not, and I noticed kind of a burning smell being emitted from the unit. No smoke or anything like that, just something getting hot.

Should I install a fan (or 2) in this unit? A few months ago, I did an automatic battery runtime calibration at FULL LOAD, and it passed that test fine, and it took around 20 minutes to wear the battery down to the point where the UPS stopped the calibration.

Anyone? Anything?
    LOL.
    Just a question.
    Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
    RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
    Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
    - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
    - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
    - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
    - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Re: APC Smart-UPS 1000- Should I install active cooling?

About a month ago I just took my smt-2200 totally apart after 3 years to blow all the dust out. Maybe dirt collected a bit inside...
    My smt-750 has no fan installed and it doesn’t smell either.
    Last edited by CapLeaker; 06-15-2018, 04:30 AM.

Comment

If you are able to fit a fan or two in then I would recommend this, when I get these in for servicing I usually fit fans if they are not installed to help with cooling as at loading there is a significant current draw on the low voltage side. If my math is correct to achieve 240 watts at 240 volts assuming a 100% efficiency is going to pull 20 amps on the 12 volt side or 10 amps if 24 volt.

Also inspect the PCB for heat stress and bad poor solder joints.
      Last edited by llonen; 06-16-2018, 03:01 PM.

Comment

The APC Smart-UPS 1500 has a fan.
        It might be possible to fit the same one, as they share the same case...
        "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Working...
        X