EVGA 7600GT 256mb PCIe Poly Mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EVGA 7600GT 256mb PCIe Poly Mod

Of that batch of 13 I got of these cards, I poly modded most of them. I recapped a couple in lytics, insured they were working properly, and then measured voltages to see what I could do as far as poly modding them. The pic below shows what voltage is on each, and what polies to use.

These cards are drilled for both 3.5mm and 5mm lead spacing on all caps, so there was no cramming to make the 10mm polies fit in the positions for 8mm lytics, and visa versa with 8mm polies fitting into positions for 10mm lytics.

Here's a few pics of the finished product:

Good luck if you try this.
    Attached Files
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Re: EVGA 7600GT 256mb PCIe Poly Mod

I recently re-capped a Galaxy video card (7950 GT AGP) using a combination of Sanyo SEPC and Ruby MBZ (originally had Sacon FZ). Work like a charm until I accidentally bumped it and fried it.
    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

How do the values of these new poly capacitors compare to the original electrolytics? I have a few video cards I'd like to try polymer capacitors on. I know with motherboards, people sometimes reduce the capacitance, I'm wondering if the same thing is done on video cards?

Comment

You only reduce the capacitance for the CPU VRM. for a video card, the capacitance stays the same. That was what I did with the 7950 AGP, which worked fine until the bump.
        I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

on this card, 470uF 16v lytics were replaced with 330uF polies, and 1500uF 6.3v lytics were replaced with 820uF polies. The 560uF 4v poly went in place of a 1500uF lytic as well.
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

Nice CPU cooler .
            Just wondering, about how much did the polys cost for each card?

Comment

^
              The polies weren't very much. I have some really cool southern engineered CPU coolers and fan arrays. Fooling Dell fan controllers is fun sometimes.
              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
              Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge
                You only reduce the capacitance for the CPU VRM. for a video card, the capacitance stays the same. That was what I did with the 7950 AGP, which worked fine until the bump.
                does not matter if its a video card vrm or a cpu.
                general rule is half but where the polys were still lower esr than the 3300's in a vrm i subbed 820's.bulk capacitance is not needed in these vrm's.
                always works just fine.always cleaner than it would be with the best lytics.
                now i dont blindly experiment on customers boards.i will test a poly mod thoroughly before i offer it to my customers.
                i have subbed polys on many video cards and never an issue.
                those 7600gt's will likely overclock well now as a side benefit.

Comment

^
                  I dont blindly test this on customer's stuff either.....always do it to something of mine and then beat on it for a while. if successful, I'll recommend it as an option to those who ask.

I put one of these poly modded cards in a dell precision 670, been running without a hitch since I made this thread. haven't tried any overclocking experiments yet....but I will.
                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                  Team Stats

Comment

how does it compare to an nvidia geforce 8400gs 256mb?

the copper tell me its better, as does does the prescence of 2 dvi ports (mine has a vga and dvi)
                    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

7600GT is better. The only good thing about the 8400GS is that it's DX10 compliant (which doesn't mean much since it's an entry level card). If you're asking which one will do better with games, it's the 7600GT.

Comment

In terms of speed, you can pretty much always assume a "400" level card won't match a "600" level, especially in adjacent generations. 600 is generally the start of the gaming cards, while 400 cards are much more conservative. The lower cards don't evolve as quickly because they worry about heat, noise and power on those.

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/g...&prod[1557]=on

Looks like the 8400GS is also slower than the 6600GT, which is 2 generations older.

Comment

ill have to get one.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat
                            on this card, 470uF 16v lytics were replaced with 330uF polies, and 1500uF 6.3v lytics were replaced with 820uF polies. The 560uF 4v poly went in place of a 1500uF lytic as well.
                            Any conversion between them? How do u know its ok with lower volt?

Comment

You should take two of those and run them in SLI... Best bang for buck is in the 600 and 800 series cards in SLI.

Why is it you use a lower uF on the poly's?

Comment

to maintain the right filtering. polys filter twice as well as lytics, so only have the value is needed.

my board has no sli... so i only grabbed one. i like it.
                                sigpic

Comment

They should be. EVGA has made some of the most reliable cards I have ever ran. Heck, my old 8800 GTS 640MB card is still running to this day. Over 3 years old, and no caps bad, still running strong. Just gave mine to a buddy when I recently upgraded.

Comment

I must add I've not seen the best of Evga. I've 4 bad ones I intend to recap, but that's not necessarily to say the company is bad, but rather used cheap parts in these cases. We all see that the FZ series is as reliable dampened balled up tissue as caps. I'm anxious to get some sets of the polymer from Topcat and finally recap the ones I have. I'm going to run 2 7300gt's in sli on a socket 754 athy 3400 for kicks.

Not to steer from the topic but to add, my preference in video has been XFX for some time now.

Comment

Don't get any GeForce 8 series based on the 8400/500/600/8800GT core guys - there's something called "bumpgate" essentially Nvidia didn't bother putting a particular protective substance in the GPU chip itself which causes it to fail due to heat stress.

Comment

^
                                        I've never heard that one. How about an article of some kind to back that up?
                                        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                        Team Stats

Comment

Working...
                                        X