This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

HI from Italy,Found this forum while searching for solutions to an issue with a Sony TV.
    It's nice to find an online community and to be able to share with all of you!!

Comment

Hi forum members. Found this forum when looking for a way to remove bios passwords. Great forum with lots of valuable information.

I own a re-use computer shop in the Netherlands. As we have more than 1000 laptops a year coming in and going out I thought it would be helpful to learn more about bios and eeprom. So far I managed to remove 1 bios password from a 6570b with the help of Badcaps forum. Thanks!

Comment

Hello all. It is rare that I actually sign up as a member for a forum but I decided to finally do it here. I've been utilizing the information on badcaps for years and years now; my friend first pointed me to you guys very soon after you began, around 2004.

That being said, I'm going to give you an "old school" type of introduction; if I'm going to sign up and post an intro, might as well do it right, right?

The very first computer I owned was the Apple //c I got for Christmas. My grade school had an Apple //e in every classroom and a computer lab with maybe a dozen //e's and later a //gs. In 3rd grade someone brought in a copy of Karateka and I will admit that that game is the ENTIRE reason I wanted my own computer. So thanks Jordan Meschner (sp?) for pretty much determining the course of my life.

So I got my brand-spanking new Apple //c, which was better than a //e in nearly EVERY way ("portable", 128k Ram, etc) but for reasons I just now realized that I never found out, it would NOT RUN KARATEKA. So, I found other things to do with it. My friend introduced me to the modem and once I managed to score a Hayes 300bps from my friend (who's dad just got a 1200Bps) I started calling local BBSs.

My Dad had an IBM PC AT (286-8Mhz) work let him bring home and he would always tell me that I should get into the IBM instead of the Apple, because that was a "real" computer. (He used to do Fortran on mainframes @ Penn State) Being a kid, all the computers everybody used (read: what my school had) were Apple, so I never really paid much attention. Until one Christmas when my dad got me a game for the IBM PC- The Bard's Tale. I actually already had it on the Apple and played it quite a bit, so it was a little while before I decided to give it a go.
        When I finally did figure out how to install it on this hard drive thingy and play, I was BLOWN AWAY. Compared to the apple (which played the games off floppy disks for one thing) the game ran BLAZINGLY fast. I was instantly converted and so I can also thank my dad for re-routing the course of my life.
        So, my first PC was an IBM PC AT 286-8 with a 40 Meg hard drive. We later got a Swan 386-33 with 120Meg hard drive and my dad took the IBM back to work.
        I started using the modem on the PC now, and my Dad brought home a 1200bps modem they were no longer using at work. Wow, instead of one character at a time (300bps), pages would load an entire LINE at a time! Eventually I talked my parents into letting me get a 2nd phone line so I could run my own BBS and we eventually got a 400Meg 2nd hard drive for the Swan. Installing that was basically the first time I opened up a computer to mess with the hardware. The IBM was really belonged to where my dad worked and he really wasn't even supposed to take it home, so we never worked on it.
        The first PC I owned was a 486DX2-66 w/math co-processor I put together myself. At this point I would fix computers for people and have done so ever since.
        I came late into electronics- I really knew VERY little about them until I went to ITT and took their Electrical Engineering Tech course. While I do not actually DO anything in electronics job-wise, I am forever grateful that I went there- do you know how many times my mind was BLOWN by some bit of information concerning electricity and circuits? A few examples- Kirchov(sic)'s voltage law, that you can use boolean algebra to take a real-life circuit, express it in boolean algebra, simplify and then make a circuit that cooresponds to the simplified algebra and the circuit will do the SAME tHING.
        I'm still not very GOOD with electronics; my friend is self-taught and he just GETS it. I, on the other hand, have to think about it in terms of theory, and calculate what should go where. Thankfully, I am with computers as he is with electronics, so at least that's something, right?
        The extent of what I can do with electronics really is mostly soldering. For example, I just fixed my PS3 (maybe FIXED is too strong of a word) which was having the YLOD. Re-flowed the solder with my trusty Heat Gun (learned to do that fixing xbox360s WAY back). I would love to get a hot-air station but all I use it for is video games, so I can't really justify the cost.
        LOL. I've gone on too long already; I'll end with saying that I am actually here right now because I'm fixing this LG 42PC5D Plasma TV my friend was going to throw away. No picture, still has sound. A few months ago I determined what the problem was and I decided to replace the board. Now I have the $ to do so and I can't remember exactly what board it was I determined was the problem. Oddly enough, I can not seem to find the information on Plasma TVs I EASILY found a few months ago. So, I'll probably post a message here and THAT's why I've finally registered here.
        I've been lurking for at least a decade here, though, so thanks to everyone here who's made it such a great resource. Later!

Comment

Hello, this post is to unlock my account. I'm here to figure out how to fix my VIZIO E550i-B2. It passes the flashlight test, but it has zero backlight. I'm thinking it's the connection between the power supply board and the led control driver. Gonna take it apart soon and take a look.

Comment

Hey guys, I have decided to join this website to gain more knowledge and learn new things.

Comment

Hello all, got my first power supply, signal generator, and o-scope today Found this awesome site while searching for schematics on my 40+ year old gear. First task, no power on my Tektronix 5030, currently following the over-tightened screw path to the capacitor board, one is not like the other ones
              Anyway if you all want to join me on this trip - hit me up

Comment

hello

Comment

Videographer/editor/PC nerd from Toronto, would love to learn to repair electronics.

Comment

Hello badcaps! Awesome site!

Comment

Hi, My name is Larry and I am a 71 year old man who was taught to fix anything I could to be frugal. Electronics are harder for me, but help on the internet makes almost anything possible. This is a very informative site. Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

Comment

Hi guys decided to join in, this really help me a lot for my projects and other stuffs. And I'm really happy having this forum.

Comment

Hello from the chilly midwest. I found this forum recommended from another forum. I'm new to troubleshooting icb's and am glad to have found you guys!

Comment

Hello,

Ive just joined

Comment

Hey y'all,
                              I'm just here to look into the archives to figure out what is up with a couple of busted displays I've recently acquired and do my best to fix them.
                              I'll probably just browse but thanks to those of you who figured some stuff out in the first place!
                              (And if anyone has any particularly pertinent advice for the common problems with Dell U3011 and Magnavox 40MF401B/F7, feel free to send me a message or whatever.)
                              Be well.

Comment

Hi from Sweden!

Comment

Hi, I am from the Netherlands.

I already used the forum to repair my YAMAHA RX-497 receiver. I replaced a bad capacitor, and it works fine now. Thx.

Comment

Hi from China, I fixed my Yamaha TSX-130's display by replaced two capacitors followed a post in the forum. Thank you all for sharing your knowledge!

Comment

Hi guys, I just decided to join your famous forums.
                                      I'm Italian, I'm 45, I speak little English, I hope I can learn more about computer electronics and hone my skills in electronics, Thanks.

Comment

Hi,
                                        I am 42 living in Canada with no electronic background, but an computer engineer in networking. My Samsung TV is giving me issues. I decided to see if I can fix this TV before i go out an purchase a new one, I hope this would be a great new way for an Hobby
                                        Lets see if I am cut for this.

Comment

Hello everyone. My interest in electronics began a little over a year ago while setting up an HO model train set. I needed some simple circuits for my layout, so I picked up the book 'Electronics for Dummies' and began learning. I was hooked.

I stumbled across this site while searching for repair information for my Samsung TV. I found its' members to be very knowledgeable and helpful, so I wanted to join and say "THANK YOU" to all of you for taking the time to help out others!

Comment

Working...
                                          X