Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Accelerometer, gyro, compass: Which one for orientation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accelerometer, gyro, compass: Which one for orientation?

Have an iPhone which screen orientation doesn't work and is stuck in one direction. The compass app also doesn't work.

Tried a restore and no change so its hardware related but I don't know which one is responsible for the issue. Do they all work together? I figured it'd be the gyro circuit but since the compass doesn't work as well I'm wondering if it's the compass circuit?
    Attached Files

Re: Accelerometer, gyro, compass: Which one for orientation?

compass, the others detect movement.
    although if they share a databus one could silence the others.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
      compass, the others detect movement.
      although if they share a databus one could silence the others.
      No (I read the OP's post as "his screen is stuck in landscape/portrait mode and won't switch to portrait/landscape when he reorients the phone").

The accelerometer tells the phone which way is DOWN; the compass tells it which way is NORTH!

Comment

Originally posted by Curious.George View Post
        No (I read the OP's post as "his screen is stuck in landscape/portrait mode and won't switch to portrait/landscape when he reorients the phone").

The accelerometer tells the phone which way is DOWN; the compass tells it which way is NORTH!
        Thanks. So the gyro isn't responsible for screen orientation?

Comment

no, the compass indicates actual direction in relation to the planet,
          the gyro detects movement in 3 axis - but not relative to [up] afaik,
          the accelerometer detects how fast you move the phone.

so the gyro and accelerometer are used together to tell if you move the fone, and how fast - but not which way it's facing.

Comment

So the compass and screen orientation issue are separate?

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
              no, the compass indicates actual direction in relation to the planet,
              the gyro detects movement in 3 axis - but not relative to [up] afaik,
              the accelerometer detects how fast you move the phone.

so the gyro and accelerometer are used together to tell if you move the fone, and how fast - but not which way it's facing.
              From https://www.livescience.com/40103-ac...gyroscope.html:

The typical two-axis accelerometer gives users a direction of gravity in an aircraft, smartphone, car or other device. In comparison, a gyroscope is intended to determine an angular position based on the principle of rigidity of space. The applications of each device vary quite drastically despite their similar purpose. A gyroscope, for example, is used in navigation on unmanned aerial vehicles, compasses and large boats, ultimately assisting with stability in navigation. Accelerometers are equally widespread in use and can be found in engineering, machinery, hardware monitoring, building and structural monitoring, navigation, transport and even consumer electronics.

The appearance of the accelerometer in the consumer electronics market, with the introduction of such widespread devices like the iPhone using it for the built-in compass app, has facilitated its overall popularity in all avenues of software. Determining screen orientation, acting as a compass and undoing actions by simply shaking the smartphone are a few basic functions that rely on the presence of an accelerometer. In recent years, its application among consumer electronics extends now to personal laptops.
              [emphasis mine]

Because the designers took pains to ensure the accelerometer was installed in a specific orientation in EVERY phone (of that make/model), they can use that knowledge to deduce which way (orientation) you're holding the phone, currently. But, they can't tell if the microphone is "north" or "south" of the earpiece!
              Last edited by Curious.George; 02-21-2019, 03:42 PM.

Comment

we shall see, an electronic "gyroscope" is not the same as the old spinning ones in a cube in aircraft.

Comment

They still make the mec. ones
                  https://www.amazon.com/TAFULOR-Multi...-3-spons&psc=1

Comment

Speaking of which, what is a cheap electronic compass chip I could buy... ? Yeah chip for a project and SMD is fine...

Comment

you can get pcb's from china for arduino projects that have the whole set on them.
                      they cost peanuts.

Comment

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/GY-2...043504120.html

Comment

hmm.... maybe next is compass plus GPS...

Comment

I replaced the accelerometer and screen orientation was fixed. However compass still doesn’t function. So I suppose they’re not one in the same

Comment

Working...
                            X