Badcaps.net Forum
Go Back   Badcaps Forums > Troubleshooting Hardware & Devices and Electronics Theory > Troubleshooting Audio Equipment
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-31-2017, 08:24 PM   #1
12Bass

City & State: Saskatoon, SK
My Country: Canada
Line Voltage: 120VAC 60Hz
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech
Default TC Impact Twin mods

Hey Everyone,

Recently I modified my TC Impact Twin FireWire audio interface.

These units are known to have problems with failing electrolytic capacitors in the power supply section of the circuit, near the voltage regulators. Although I had not yet experienced such problems, I preemptively replaced the existing electrolytics with high quality 105C Panasonic FRs which will hopefully last the life of the unit.

I also replaced the relatively small electrolytic capacitors at the inputs of the two microphone preamps with much larger Panasonic FR electrolytics. Additionally, I added polypropylene film bypass capacitors in parallel with all electrolytics in the analog signal path and replaced the original NE5532 op amps with OPA2211As with ADA4627-1s on the main 1/2 outputs.

The result is a marked increase in subjective transparency, especially in the microphone preamps. I also have a stock Saffire Pro 40 and the preamps on the modded Impact Twin are much more open sounding, with both more clarity in the highs as well as deeper lows. The Saffire Pro's preamps sound relatively low-midrange focused in comparison.

Included are pictures of the back of the PCB showing the polypropylene bypass capacitors as well as the replacement op amps on the analog outputs on the front of the board.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0037.jpg (947.6 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0039.jpg (573.7 KB, 28 views)
12Bass is offline   Reply With Quote