Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RCA 65" LED65G55R120Q backlights are blinking.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RCA 65" LED65G55R120Q backlights are blinking.

RCA 65" LED65G55R120Q backlight LEDs were blinking. After I changed four LEDs. TV backlight panel works fine but when I drop the led test current to 1mA. there is one LED (very dim) not works. If I drop led test current down to 0.5mA. There are 5 LEDs no light up.

Panel No: T650HVN05.502-12V

My question is ...will low current can test LED Life Expectancy and should I change all the weak LEDs ?

Is weak PN Junction can be detect by current?

-----------------------------------------------

a PN Junction Diode which can be biased by an external voltage to either block or allow the flow of current through it. Semiconductor Basics. PN Junction Diode.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by capwizard; 01-07-2019, 11:27 AM.

Re: RCA 65" LED65G55R120Q backlights are blinking.

This is an easy one. Go ahead and change all the LED backlight strips, whether they have LEDs that light normal or are dim. The normal few will eventually go bad in the short term as they would have taken some strain and you won't want to open that pussy again.

Comment

....change all the LED backlight strips....
      All the backlight strips we can get are used from eBay or took out from broken screen tv. They are the same bad quality led strips. The same problems will happen again. As long as manufacturer does not provide updated new LED strips.

If we can predict which LEDs will go bad in the feature. Isn't that be good?
      Last edited by capwizard; 01-07-2019, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Yeah, you can sorta. If you have a string with quite a few LED's out, replace all LED strips. Not worth friggin with. As more LED's fail, the remaining LED's get over volted and they don't like that at all. So always to the backlights down some. If it is just a few LED's you'll get away with it no problem. All in a nutshell, it depends on how many LED's in the string are bad. It also depends of course how big the LED string is.

Just because there are some LEDs already turning on, while others are not, means not much. It's like FET's. Yes you can get them matched pair or matched how many you like but it cost $$$. Not worth in that application.
        Last edited by CapLeaker; 01-07-2019, 05:59 PM.

Comment

What's why. A LG tv, within one year, has 5 recalls of Which I never change LED strips.

Do you thing. Is the LEDs has Manufacturing problems or LED strips has Heat dissipation problems. I mean: Whose fault?

Comment

With the RCA's, go into the service menu (TV on: Settings - 1 - 1 - 4 - 7) and turn down the backlight level to 50 or 60. After LED replacement on any brand, I make sure the owner knows to not run at maximum backlight level and check every input (and app on a smart TV). Only had one tv come back with a second failure so far. The RCA's have an "aging" mode in the service mode which cranks the backlight to 100% and cycles through color patterns.

Comment

just some TV's are never getting out of that damn "aging mode". Same as the MICOM upgrade, once your in, you never get out of it.

Comment

I accidentally put one into aging mode. Turning the tv off and on by remote didn't get it out. Had to use the physical power button on the tv.

The one RCA I had replaced the LEDs on had come back. I had reused LEDs from another RCA TV and the repaired LED failed so I put in a new LG 3V LED but had to offset it about a mm. Also didn't know at the time how to get into the service menu to turn down the backlight level. Default was 80 I think.
                Last edited by neilc6; 01-07-2019, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Unless you buy the universal LED strips from China as new you would get used LED strips on e-bay. I have been using them on several TVs and I mean many, many TVs in the past and have had no regrets or call backs.

Comment

Another RCA (55" 4K) I got, the original owner said he got a deal since it was a store demo. I was expecting a lot of failed LEDs so preordered a full set of replacement strips expecting to do a full replacement. When I got the parts in and opened up the TV, there was only one failed LED so replaced the single strip and lowered the backlight level in the service menu.

Comment

Andrew...thank you....the universal LED strips!......this is the first time I've ever known about this universal LED strips.

Questions for you.
                      1. How about the lens focus distance? Is there any white spots on the screen?
                      2. LED strips are different lengths might have problems with latitude and longitude to the opening of LED holes.
                      3. Does installing universal LED strips to the case, double tape might cause dissipating heat problems?
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by capwizard; 01-07-2019, 11:16 PM.

Comment

Those are the exact strips I use. Each LED work at 3V each on the strip so I work out the math and place the strips in. They will not match the holes on the reflector paper so I cut new holes. If it is a larger screen I just stager the strips layout. It works for me thus far

Comment

Mr. Ali thanks for your tips....but is that ganna leave customer could notice marks on the screen?
                          I did one tv change all the different LED strips that is a lot work and screen did has marks. Is the reflector paper can change to white paint?

If the aftermarket led strips are in good quality that will be the best way to do like Sharp and LG..... junk model tv sets have more than 20 leds no work. You're right about this.
                          Last edited by capwizard; 01-08-2019, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Thanks. Finally tv is ready. But look the picture what's wrong with screen st bottom part of tv.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Thanks. Finally tv is ready. But look the picture what's wrong with screen at bottom part of tv.
                              Is my tv screen broken?

The TV is getting bigger and bigger. More and more difficult to handle.

Does anyone have a better way to deal with this situation?
                              Last edited by capwizard; 01-10-2019, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Shop Jimmy has a lot of strips also got the led tester from them works great

Comment

Originally posted by spotty123 View Post
                                  Shop Jimmy has a lot of strips also got the led tester from them works great
                                  Thank you, I still like to make led tester myself and I never buy any led strips yet.

Comment

Originally posted by capwizard View Post
                                    Thanks. Finally tv is ready. But look the picture what's wrong
                                    with screen at bottom part of tv.
                                    Is my tv screen broken?

The TV is getting bigger and bigger. More and more difficult to handle.

Does anyone have a better way to deal with this situation?
                                    I found a very useful video. This RCA TV must be laid flat on the desktop to work on, Be very careful and see if there is glue on the screen.

at 4:13
                                    How to troubleshoot and repair RCA LED65G55R120Q not starting
                                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z89Bnev0p7s
                                    Last edited by capwizard; 01-11-2019, 07:43 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                    X