FSP300-60PNA toasty resistor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FSP300-60PNA toasty resistor

Bit of a odd PSU this, its huge and has a very hefty weight to it yet only 300w.

Has a very meaty 5V rail which would be nice to use with my socket A stuff.

On inspection it has a dead Jamicon and a large resistor that has got very hot.

Anyone any idea if this resistor would be ok to resleeve and use again or does it need to be swapped? I have no idea of what its original rating would be.

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Files

Re: FSB300-60PNA toasty resistor

If it's not open it is likely ok, measure the value with a meter, then replace it.

Comment

pic says 7.4 ohms .. might be 7 or 7.5 ... sort of depends on its job . hard to say without schematic .
      one case scenario its used to monitor current .
      or maybe to limit current . or as well as .
      does supply seem to work ok as is ?

Comment

btw, it's made by FSP.
        FSB is a Russian security agency!

Comment

Originally posted by petehall347 View Post
          pic says 7.4 ohms .. might be 7 or 7.5 ... sort of depends on its job . hard to say without schematic .
          one case scenario its used to monitor current .
          or maybe to limit current . or as well as .
          does supply seem to work ok as is ?
          Haven't fired it up yet was in a lot of old stuff i was given.

I think I will re sleeve it and see what happens, I just wondered as it seems to have got very hot but it hasn't degraded under the paint, seems solid.

Comment

Re: FSP300-60PNA toasty resistor

it will likely run hot as it has a sleeve fitted .

Comment

You can run without it safely. I think that's the minimum load resistor (though don't take my word since it's been a quite long time since I had a FSP of the nearly same design) and it was the same as yours in the problem PLUS dead 5vSB.

Fixed it and powered a 3GHz P4HT then a Pentium E2180 for a long time before it finally got traded for a PC with a S754 Sempron, a R9250, 80GB Maxtor 6Y series, a Delux PSU (which was replaced with a beefy 400W Deer unit recapped).

I remember the original setup I gave was some crappy Celeron w/ a 40GB Maxtor D740x (that didn't even have Windows, just a Ubuntu install) , 512MB DDR2 ,ASRock MB, said FSP PSU (recapped) and a Sony DVDROM that god knows if it worked.

So long story short, you can run it safely without it, but I'd suggest recapping it first. Jamicon and Teapo don't EVER mix well with heat.
              Main rig:
              Gigabyte B75M-D3H
              Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
              Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
              16GB DDR3-1600
              Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
              FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
              120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
              Delux MG760 case

Comment

Will see how it effects the rails and will maybe leave it out in that case.

The Teapos look fine but you are right ideally they would be swapped.

Thanks for the reply

Comment

Working...
                X