Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: done with m$ windho's

Originally posted by kaboom View Post
    One thing to watch is that you've truly "started clean." If this HDD came out of a name brand PC, make sure you remove all partitions, such as those "hiddn recovery" ones- a la HP, Dell, etc.

Edit- it's too late for this, but couldn't you download and then burn an .ISO to CD-R?
    1 I got rid of the old drive put in new bigger ones.
    2 I wanted to support them!
    Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
      Xtra Pissy
      LOL! Yes, even when Windows XP is normally a good Windows version, it rightly developed a reputation of getting pissed off at the user. It's pickier than Windows 2000. This mostly comes from the fact that it's known to demand product activation immediately, and thus refuses grace period and punishes you for not having ethernet. Post-Windows-2000-versions-of-Windows, seems to hate anyone who attempts to activate Windows on 56K.

And that's even when Windows 2000 has an annoying bug that makes Windows 2000 hang on logoff and cause a "Windows cannot unload the profile" error in the event log, when you don't have an ethernet controller installed or enabled, IIRC. That bug doesn't exist in XP, BTW.
      Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 10-31-2019, 05:57 PM.
      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
        I don't and I'm running both on comparable hardware....I think its in your head..

If 7 were better, I'd be running it. Its just not though. its a huge resource hog, its invasive, intrusive, and way too idiot-proofed.
        And people back in the early-2010s, thought 7 was bad! We now have worse, despite it's usually tolerable for me! (Windows 10) (Unless the date is wrong, that was before VTel FTTH was even ready, LOL!)
        Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 10-31-2019, 06:09 PM.
        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
          And people back in the early-2010s, thought 7 was bad! We now have worse, despite it's usually tolerable for me! (Windows 10) (Unless the date is wrong, that was before VTel FTTH was even ready, LOL!)
          ...and you thought this was worthy of waking up a nearly 8 year old thread? As I've said on many occasions, after SP1 for Win7, I backed off the hatred....

FWIW, I still haven't warmed up to W10. The interface is bearable with some modding to not make it look like a Fisher Price Toy named 'My First Operating System'....I swear the interface was tailored for toddlers or Millennials, take your pick...they're on-par with eachother with intellect these days. However, even when I completely disable all WSUS & telemetry related stuff, it still won't shut up.....
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
          Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
          http://folding.stanford.edu/
          Team : 49813
          Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

...and you thought this was worthy of waking up a nearly 8 year old thread? As I've said on many occasions, after SP1 for Win7, I backed off the hatred....

FWIW, I still haven't warmed up to W10. The interface is bearable with some modding to not make it look like a Fisher Price Toy named 'My First Operating System'....I swear the interface was tailored for toddlers or Millennials, take your pick...they're on-par with eachother with intellect these days. However, even when I completely disable all WSUS & telemetry related stuff, it still won't shut up.....
            I made it shut up completely with DBAN and a Ubuntu disc. Made the switch 1/2015 and haven't looked back.
            Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
            RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
            Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
            - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
            - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
            - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
            - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TechGeek View Post
              I made it shut up completely with DBAN and a Ubuntu disc. Made the switch 1/2015 and haven't looked back.
              You do realize Ubuntu is owned by Microsoft, right?
              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
              Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by TechGeek View Post
                The last MS product that I "paid money for" was Visual C++ 1.0. (I don't pay money for their OSs as I can just use an OEM install disk and get the license "for free")

When, out-of-the-box, it had numerable flaws, I returned it and moved all of my software development over to NetBSD. That was 26 years ago (1993). I've had stints with FreeBSD and Slowaris in the intervening years but never revisited those toolchains under Windows.

Unfortunately, with the exception of software development tools, FOSS offerings have sorely been lacking -- often a decade or more behind the times! As a result, I am "forced" to run Windows (though I stop at 7even) to support those tools (EDA, CAD, DTP, graphics, multimedia, etc.)

Comment

As I've said on many occasions, after SP1 for Win7, I backed off the hatred....
                  Well, Windows 7 post-beta, seemed slow to me!

I swore that Windows 7 beta build 7000 was really like a lightning bolt on my "poor man's Core 2 Duo" (actually a Pentium E2180) Especially when I had it at 2.90 Ghz. (when I had the Asus P5QL Pro motherboard)
                  ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

Ahhh, yes. Finding a thread from years ago when you were young and (really) stupid dug up makes you realize just how bad you were.... I wonder if i grew more mature, or just more cynical? Maybe ive just grown tired of giving a hoot....

As for 10's interface, why hasn't anyone ported ReactOS's shell to it? You can get it to run on XP - 7 already.
                    I would, but none of my machines have NT on them.
                    Last edited by goontron; 11-07-2019, 12:32 AM.
                    Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

When I was young and stupid tvs had vacuum tubes in them , pre net days . I am safe there . I got turned on th Linux a few years ago and only use windows for the few programs that will only run under windows .

Comment

https://fossbytes.com/microsoft-buys...linux-forever/

Comment

Honestly, which alt-right conspiracy website did this come from ?

Comment

Originally posted by mmartell View Post
                            Honestly, which alt-right conspiracy website did this come from ?
                            When it comes to tech conspiracies, they tend to be from more left "alt" versus the right "alt"....
                            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                            Team Stats

Comment

If you'll post your source then we can determine their bias.

Only reference I can find to Microsoft owning Ubuntu (or Canonical really unless they spun off Ubuntu) is an April Fools article from three and a half years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by mmartell View Post
                                If you'll post your source then we can determine their bias.

Only reference I can find to Microsoft owning Ubuntu (or Canonical really unless they spun off Ubuntu) is an April Fools article from three and a half years ago.

Before replying again, look down at your keyboard, paying special attention to the space bar....then tell me what keys are on either side of it..... ALT+Left and ALT+Right....how this spawned into a political thing is beyond me.

Ok, with that out of the way; https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...6&postcount=43 It's a long-running gag.
                                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                Team Stats

Comment

wow 7 years ago and I was pretty correct about win7
                                  Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                                  ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
                                    wow 7 years ago and I was pretty correct about win7
                                    M$ learned from XP though, sadly.... They had such a hard time killing off XP, they revamped their model about how they'll force 10 upon us 'for our own good'....you know, waking up some morning and your W7 OS has been magically replaced with 10, odds are without your permission...and likely without your knowledge until it was too late. Tragically, W7 won't hang in as long after EOL as XP did.....of course I deem an OS obsolete when there's no longer modern browser support....that's when it's time to part ways with an OS for anything beyond a novelty.....for example, this post was created from Firefox 2.0.0.20 on NT4. Awesomesauce!
                                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                    Team Stats

Comment

Win 7 is EOL to us plebs very soon but there is paid for support available to business for 3 years.
                                      I don't imagine it will take too long for those patches to be released in other ways.

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
                                        Win 7 is EOL to us plebs very soon but there is paid for support available to business for 3 years.
                                        I don't imagine it will take too long for those patches to be released in other ways.
                                        It's like Microsoft is provoking people to go to Linux, I've received words before that even XP with a blacklisted product key, would treat users a lot better than that, at least allow security updates.
                                        (But that was of course when XP wasn't EOL'ed yet.) This treatment against non-aristocrats of using Windows 7, is worse than the Ballmer era!
                                        Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 11-12-2019, 06:28 PM.
                                        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

Working...
                                        X