Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please help me identify which capacitor I need to replace on my Motherboard

Hi All,

I recently bought a Gigabyte GA-7PESH2 Motherboard from the states and was really looking forward to using it. So long story short, I noticed a bent out of shape capacitor and I thought it was the reason I was having an issue (Turned out it wasnt) but in the process of straightening it I snapped it off the mainboard!!

The legs are still there but the cap broke off. I obviously need to replace it. Now the server didnt have any issues to begin with with everything running as it should but now I am trying to install an OS on the machine I am hitting some stability issues and it just crashes loses USB etc random stuff.

So I have the cap which reads 342 and beneath it says SEPC then 820 then 2.5 with a purple tinge to it. (I have attached a picture)

From what I understand with replacements I have

Batch = 342
    Rated capacitance (μF) = 820
    Series = SEPC
    Voltage = 2.5

Now my local supplier has a catalogue which offers 4 or 5 that seem to make these values but with different resistances and other variations ( I have also attached a pic of that too)

the variation seems to be with Size Code, ESR(mΩ) (max) 100kHz to 300kHz/20o & Rated ripple current 100kHz (mArms) at 105℃ DF (% max)

They are all 2.5V, 820uF, DF (%Max) of 10, Leakage Current of 500 uA

Please Please Please can someone help me out with which one I need to get to replace it as I need to get my motherboard back up and running reliably again I have attached pics and charts if that helps with working out which one I need

Code:
    Size Code	Part Number	Rated Voltage (V)	Rated Capacitance (uF)	     ESR(mΩ) (max) 100kHz to 300kHz/20oC	Rated ripple current 100kHz (mArms) at 105℃
    C9	    2SEPC820MW 	2.5	             820	                      7	                        5600
    E7	    2SEPC820MD	2.5	             820                       8	                        5300
    E9	    2SEPC820MX	2.5               820	                      7	                        6100
    E9	    2SEPC820MY	2.5               820	                      5                         7200
    E13  	2R5SEPC820M	2.5	             820	                      7                         6100
    Attached Files
    Last edited by cgtechuk; 04-09-2017, 08:08 PM.

Re: Please help me identify which capacitor I need to replace on my Motherboard

Its a Panasonic 2R5SEPC820M (Os-con) no longer sold at mouser

7mOhm and 6100mArms, 8mmx13mm

2R5SEPC820M is your closest match

hope you know how to unsolder the lead
    Last edited by Uranium-235; 04-10-2017, 10:47 PM.
    Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
    ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Hey there,

Thanks for your reply. That's typical as I ordered one of all. The others and this one is the only one that is not in stock anywhere at all. Damn.

In your reply you have the closest match down as the same model number as the exact match is this deliberate or have I missed something.?

On relation to the soldering the legs are still attached to the board I was really hoping to have someone decent at soldering attach the new cap and feet to the remainder of the old legs or is that not advised?

Thanks

Comment

are the legs above the board or below? can you get a picture?

Comment

Hi there

The legs are above the board. I have attached some pictures. One close up and one to show you position on mb
          Attached Files

Comment

ok, take the ram out and disconnect the atx pin first

You can cut the leads down to a small amount and solder it on there (10mm?). Make sure its on right

If you have the skill, you can apply the iron on the top of the board where the solder is on each lead and pull it up carefully with a pair of needlenose plyers while the solder is hot and liquid (might want to apply flux first). If successful, add some flux and add some leaded solder on the bottom of each hole (nice and shiny) Then make sure the leads are on top of each hole and heat the bottom where you put the solder, it should heat through from the bottom of the hole to the top and _gently_ push each lead down. A little bit at a time, from the right hole to the left, a little bit at a time.

make sure its on the right way (half moon mark on the cap matches the board)

Comment

Thanks again for your reply.

Am I right in thinking that there are two options you describe above or they both part of the same (Sorry for the stupid question) ?

Option 1: Attach it to the legs carefully after trimming them

Option 2: Completely remove the old solder and wick and flow a new one?

Skill wise I have none, my dad can solder but its pretty basic soldering like attaching wires back onto things and electric level soldering but not electronics level. I think he would be up to option 1 as you describe it but not sure about option 2.

In regards to an alternative. Given that these caps are out of stock everywhere globally till July is any of the others above in my original post suitable enough as an alternative or should I just wait for the original to come back in stock? They have the other 2.5v ones with the same capacitance in stock just not that specific one (2R5SEPC820M) The other 3 though are in stock (2SEPC820MW, 2SEPC820MWD, 2SEPC820MWX)

Thanks

WD, 2SEPC820MWX, 2SEPC820MWY

Deffo owe you a beer btw as this is very helpful!
              Last edited by cgtechuk; 04-11-2017, 02:39 AM.

Comment

actually the last one on the list IS the exact matching one. I can't believe I didn't pick up on that

yeah you're better off trying to get it on the legs and being real careful with it.

edit: oh, MX is an exact match too
                Last edited by Uranium-235; 04-11-2017, 03:15 AM.

Comment

The E13 one (2R5SEPC820M) is the one that no one has anymore anywhere lol.

The E9 one (2SEPC820MX) is one of the 4 I did get which is great to hear, I will speak to my dad and see what he says and if he is up for it! im not sure what the differences between the E9 and E13 is mind you

Also not sure what the R means in the model number lol

Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by cgtechuk View Post
                    im not sure what the differences between the E9 and E13 is mind you
                    4mm shorter

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
                      it should heat through from the bottom of the hole to the top and _gently_ push each lead down. A little bit at a time, from the right hole to the left, a little bit at a time.
                      Such way he'd do that the whole day. Just get dental explorer and pierce the hot solder.
                      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dental_explorer

You can get pretty much any similar cap with 2.5 V and same or higher capacitance. Chances are it will work fine even without the cap anyway.
                      Last edited by Behemot; 04-14-2017, 02:50 PM.
                      Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
                      Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Working...
                      X