Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coolermaster Recap

Hey Guys,

Need some advice from the electronic engineers amongst you.

My PC went flaky last night.
    The fan had failed on the PSU and half a dozen caps were bulging.
    It's not a cheapie and has served well for 4 years so I am hoping to redeem it.

I have the correct value caps except for the two new blue Ruby's under the heatsink beside the coil.
    The originals were 680uF x 16V Capxons.
    Would it be OK to use 1000uF x 16V as replacements here?
    I am hoping precise values are not critical.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Brett.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Neo2_000; 03-27-2015, 11:28 AM. Reason: clarification

Re: Coolermaster Recap

what series of caps are you fitting?
    blue ruby's are mcz arent they?

Comment

The two blue Ruby's are MBZ series.

Comment

well the esr on those is way to low for a psu.
        you need something like a panasonic FC,FM,FK or FR preferably FR

mbz should only be used on stuff like motherboards.

Comment

PX are general purpose, not good for SMPS. I can provide you with Samxons RS 3300/16 and Chemi-Cons KYA 3300/6,3, both D10. Than I have KZH 1000/16 D8.
          Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
          Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

1000uF caps will work fine there. And yes, Ruby PX are indeed unsuitable for PSU use. They might work OK for a bit, but it will make the ripple much worse, and they won't last as long. Use Panny FK if you need 2200uF 16V in 10mm diameter (http://au.rs-online.com/web/p/alumin...itors/0571606/)

Also, replace the other two CapXons there, as they won't be far off failing (and may well have already failed without visible showing it these would do fine for them - http://au.rs-online.com/web/p/alumin...itors/7083572/
            Last edited by c_hegge; 03-29-2015, 01:31 AM.
            I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Thanks for all your help guys. Seems I sure could use it. I have been using mobo series caps without realising these were unsuitable.

Just had a bright idea. I no longer recap motherboards and have quite a lot of mostly Ruby's, some Saxon's and Nichicons in popular mobo values. I live in Australia.

Would anyone be interested in doing a swap or alternately purchasing these? (see attachments)

Here is what I need for my current project but I really should stock up on PSU repair caps now so would be interested in acquiring more.

Coolermaster Power Supply Unit (Originals were Capxons)
              Looking for quality replacements such as suggested Panasonics etc.

10mm x35mm
              2- 4700 x10V
              2- 3300 x10V
              4- 2200 x16V

10mm x20mm~
              2- 2200 x10 short

8mm
              4- 680 x16

Thanks again,
              Brett.
              Attached Files

Comment

^
                I'm pretty sure I actually have all of the values you need. I'll check again. By the way, no one actually makes 4700uF 10V caps in 10mm diameter. Someone here actually tested some brand new ones and they were only about 3300uF, so you can safely replace the 4700uF caps with 3300uF 6.3V. I've done it on a similar PSU to yours before.

EDIT: Nope. I don't have enough 2200uF 16V or enough 680uF 16V caps. Looks like I'll have to order some more just in case I get another PSU to recap in the near future. I just noticed, though, that looks like the MBZs you used are on the -12V and 5vsb rails. You can get away with it there. It's more likely to be a problem if you use them on the main rails from which feedback is taken (and even then, some PSUs aren't all that picky). It's the PXs which I'd be more concerned about.

I'm in a pretty similar boat to you when it comes to motherboard recaps, though. These days, the only boards I see with bad caps are pre-C2D era, which are too old to be worth fixing or keeping.
                Last edited by c_hegge; 03-29-2015, 01:34 AM.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

You can use Samxons RS there just fine…

There are still some 754, 939, AM2(+) boards with bloated caps you can use that for, but not really many. They often get bad because of chipset anyway.
                  Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Comment

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
                    You can use Samxons RS there just fine…
                    Not necessarily. Some PSUs will be fine with bumping up the capacitance to 3300uF. Some won't. I've had some PSUs where the feedback loop becomes unstable at high loads (200W+) with Samxon RS 3300uF caps on the main rails. My rule of thumb is that you can bump up the capacitance on really cheap PSUs (as the low capacitance is only used to save cost, not because anything is tuned to it). On a decent PSU like this, though, leave the capacitance as it is on the main rails.
                    Last edited by c_hegge; 03-30-2015, 12:01 AM.

Comment

I was baulking at ordering from RS Components but now I see that they are offering free delivery for Australia?

Any strings attached to this?

If not, I might give it a go.
                      Last edited by Neo2_000; 04-28-2015, 01:32 AM.

Comment

usually there is a minimum order value for free delivery

Comment

Nope. It's just free delivery for all online orders, no questions asked. I order from RS all the time. Element14 also have free delivery, but only for orders over $50.

Comment

RS sells in lots of 5 so it would be good to be versatile.

Cap voltages generally range from 6.3V to 16V.

Assuming we maintain the minimum voltage spec for a given cap, is there any downside to ordering say five 16V caps to cover lower voltage caps of the same uF value?
                            Last edited by Neo2_000; 04-28-2015, 05:41 AM.

Comment

https://www.mikesarcade.com/cgi-bin/...e=psrepair.txt

Hey, what do you guys think of this. For an engineering illiterate like myself, I found it to be great info.

I am just wondering how pertinent it is today as it is a bit dated. At least it answered my question:

Remember, you can always substitute a capacitor of higher voltage when replacing filter capacitors. E.G. A 1000 microfarad, 16 volt capacitor
                              can be replaced with a 1000 microfarad, 25 volt.
                              But also this: (What are your thoughts?)

I recommend that you order just two different capacitors for use as replacements for the output filter capacitors in the "Peter Chou" style power supply. It helps a great deal when you have the part numbers. For the +5 VDC output, use 3300 microfarad, 16 VDC capacitors. The Nichicon part number is UVX1C332M. Each power supply requires two of these.

To make ordering and stocking easier, I use the same capacitor for both
                              the +12 VDC and the -5 VDC outputs. It's a 1000 microfarad, 25 volt
                              capacitor. The Nichicon part number is UVX1E102M. Although some power
                              supplies use a 2200 microfarad capacitor for the +12 VDC output, I have
                              found the 1000 microfarad to be perfectly satisfactory.

Comment

Re: Coolermaster PSU Recap Help

Originally posted by Neo2_000 View Post
                                It's not a cheapie and has served well for 4 years so I am hoping to redeem it.
                                A code on the transformer shows that it was manufactured in 2006, so a lot older than 4 years old.
                                ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Depends on the units, some can only take D8 caps, some D10.

I can send ya some Samxons RS 3300/16 D10x30 (those you can use instead of 6,3V too as they have same size) and KZH 1000/16 D10x20 mm if you want. These would do for complete recap of this unit you have.

Comment

Re: Coolermaster PSU Recap Help

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                                    A code on the transformer shows that it was manufactured in 2006, so a lot older than 4 years old.
                                    Yeah, was wasting space at work for quite a while till I swapped it for a coral trout

I had replaced the fan once on this but four years service life is better than average.

Speaking of which, any recommendations for a quality fan which will go the distance?

Preferably an Australian source please.
                                    Last edited by Neo2_000; 04-28-2015, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
                                      Depends on the units, some can only take D8 caps, some D10.

I can send ya some Samxons RS 3300/16 D10x30 (those you can use instead of 6,3V too as they have same size) and KZH 1000/16 D10x20 mm if you want. These would do for complete recap of this unit you have.
                                      Sent you a PM Behemot.

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                                        Nope. It's just free delivery for all online orders, no questions asked. I order from RS all the time. Element14 also have free delivery, but only for orders over $50.
                                        Looks like they have finally caught up with the 21st century. Would never order from them in the past because freight was a killer.

Doesn't look like they have the higher values I need in a 10mm can though unfortunately.

Comment

Working...
                                        X