Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad Nichicon HM(M) on Dell Dimension 3000 motherboard.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad Nichicon HM(M) on Dell Dimension 3000 motherboard.

Hi,
    I have a bad Nichicon HM(M) capacitor on my Dell Dimension 3000's motherboard. I'd like to replace it but I've never soldered before and don't even know how to recap, it looks like you just heat up the solder, remove the cap, and install the new cap, cut the leads short and solder it down after checking that the polarity it correct. I am 13, I know a lot about computers and the hardware it self. The date code on the cap is an 05 date code. I cannot find anyone on here with a Dell Dimension 3000 with a bad cap! Am I the only one with a bad cap on a 3000? LOL I'm thinking of replacing it with a Rubycon MCZ or MBZ. I noticed the cap starting to bulge when I started putting it on sleep. Can sleep mode really kill the capacitors? I have an HP Pavilion a420n with all OST, Ltec, and UCC KZE capacitors and not one of them are bad, it goes to sleep all the time like the 3000, I am using the 3000 to post this, it's still as stable as a rock like it always was, if you want pictures I will post pics, the capacitor is leaking. Would I be able to just de-solder the Nichicon and continue using the computer without the cap? I use it in my bedroom as an HTPC.

Thanks,

Austin Cox
    Last edited by ajcox1234; 08-04-2011, 08:53 PM. Reason: Mispellings

Re: Bad Nichicon HM(M) on Dell Dimension 3000 motherboard.

kgzs can be 'bad' without bloating

there are a number of Nichicon HMM's that were overfilled and bloated during this time.

I would not use it without a capicator, replace it, there are plenty of people here willing to help

sleep mode has nothing to do with it
    Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
    ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Thanks, I know about the KZG problem but the ones I'm talking about are the KZE series caps. Thanks, I'll watch one YouTube videos on it, and ead some forums on here on how to recap.

Comment

KZE should be fine as long as not bloated. [Good series.]

The Nichicon are just called HM.
        The following (M) is not part of the series name, it's the uF tolerance.
        HN and HM made from 2001-2004 were defective.
        If your 2005 blew it was probably from heat or a bad PSU.

No, don't run it with a cap missing.

Please break up your thoughts with spaces like I'm doing.
        [Easier to read.]

Sleep mode doesn't stress anything except [maybe] +5vsb.

Yes, a few pics would help.

Minimum to do caps on a mobo. [Opinions will vary.]
        . A 40 to 60 watt iron. [50-60 watt is better. Smallish chisel tip is best.]
        . Some 40/60 or 37/63 'Rosin Core' solder in a small diameter like .020-.024" [5-6mm].
        [Don't get lead-free. Harder to use and not needed for this.]
        . Fluxed Solder Braid [aka: Wick] about .08-.10" [2.03-2.54mm]
        . A needle slightly larger diameter than cap lead - and something to hold it.
        . Sponge to clean tip. [Some kind that doesn't melt easy. Needs to be wet when used.]
        . A SS or Copper scour pad [Tip cleaning - some dollar stores have them cheap.]
        . Flush Cutter, or at least one you can get close to the board. [To clip leads.]
        . Isoprophyl [rubbing] alcohol - at least 70% but over 90% is better. [Final clean-up.]
        . Que-tips [To use with the Isoprophyl for clean-up.]
        --
        Optional:
        . An old tooth brush. [To use with the Isoprophyl for clean-up.]
        . Some liquid or paste flux with a small brush to spread it is handy.
        . Medicated burn cream.

Mann-Made Global Warming.
        - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
        -
        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
        -

Comment

Thanks, I've taken the side off and it isn't even warm at all. I've taken the power supply apart, no caps are bad but it does have Ltec and Lelon caps.

Comment

By the way, the date code for the Nichicon is H0518, 18'th week of 2005? Maybe I just got a bad capacitor, because that thing is very cool. And the PSU is fine.

Comment

Originally posted by ajcox1234 View Post
              Thanks, I've taken the side off and it isn't even warm at all. I've taken the power supply apart, no caps are bad but it does have Ltec and Lelon caps.
              If you have a DMM [something else you should have around] then check the voltages at the ATX plug with the system idling.
              Slide probe tip along the wires into the back of the plug until you hit metal.
              - Be careful!
              It's safer to lay case on it's side for this because you might have to push a little to get far enough into back side of the connector.
              Energized equipment that won't stay put is not much fun...

If the voltages are all in still spec I wouldn't worry too much about the PSU for now. It's not an emergency or anything.

Don't need to check every wire in the main plug. One of each color is enough as they are connected to the same place in the PSU.
              Any black ground wire will do for the negative lead.

You have the older 20-pin. Here's the color codes and pin-out
              http://pinouts.ru/Power/atxpower_pinout.shtml
              - Don't need to check pin 8 or 14. Those are control signals, not power.
              - Pin 18 might not even have a wire. That was for -5v which went away with ISA slots and 16-bit IC chips.

Also check the square 4-pin with the two yellow and two black wires.
              [Checking one yellow to one black is enough.]
              This is the same voltage specs as the +12v [Yellow] in the main plug.

Specs.
              +12v [Yellow] ±5% (±0.60v) [+11.40v to +12.60v]
              +5v [Red] ±5% (±0.25v) [+4.75v to +5.25v]
              +5vsb [Purple] ±5% (±0.25v) [+4.75v to +5.25v]
              +3.3v [Orange] ±5% (±0.165v) [+3.135v to +3.465v]
              −12v [Blue] ±10% (±1.2v) [–10.8v to –13.2v]
              −5v [If there - White] ±10% (±0.50v) [–4.50v to –5.50v]

-
              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
              -
              You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
              -

Comment

Originally posted by ajcox1234 View Post
                By the way, the date code for the Nichicon is H0518, 18'th week of 2005? Maybe I just got a bad capacitor, because that thing is very cool. And the PSU is fine.
                That's the correct date.
                -
                The PSU could have excess Ripple that overheated the cap but that's a bit advanced for you right now - plus I don't know where the cap is yet so that's a pretty wild guess.

-

- Dr Seuss
                -
                -

Comment

Here I stole this from an eBay ad.
                  - Where is the bad cap?

BTW: Nice board.
                  An i865 chipset, a VRM with 8 MOSFETs and most Vcore caps poly already.
                  I'm not surprised there aren't may broke ones.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by PCBONEZ; 08-05-2011, 01:19 AM.

-

- Dr Seuss
                  -
                  -

Comment

Here is the bad cap.
                    Attached Files

Comment

It's a nice board, Rubycon's, Nichicon's and UCC SMG's all over the place and 8 Sanyo solids by the vrm followed by 2 nice Rubycon MBZ's, also saw some Rubycon ZL's on there.

Comment

I can just buy a bad Dimension 3000 board on eBay and steal the cap by the dimm slots on it. LOL

Comment

[Guessing] I think that's on 5v.
                          Short of just a dud cap it probably died due to ripple.
                          If those Lelons in your PSU happen to be on +5v I'd consider replacing them just in case.
                          - Can't actually test it properly with what you have, that's a shot in preemptive dark.
                          - And it's optional.

Other than that just replacing the one mobo cap should be enough at least for a while.
                          [If it blows again go back to looking at the PSU.]
                          Just in case the problem was high Ripple I would use an HN or an MCZ.
                          [They handle more than HM or MBZ.]

-

- Dr Seuss
                          -
                          -

Comment

I'll try an HN, if it blows again, the PSU has got to go.

Comment

Wait, I need the voltage and UF!

Comment

Use the same uF as the old one.
                                Use the same voltage if possible, if not then go up one voltage.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                -
                                -

Comment

I'll get on eBay to buy a 50w soldering iron, leaded solder, and Nichicon HN's.

The HN's will by 16V, 1500 uF
                                  The bad HM on the 3000 board is 10V 1000 uF, the HN will give it some head room in case that HM on the board was over powered.

Here are the HN's I am getting, I only need one but at least I'll have some extra caps inc case the new cap blows, if it does, the PSU is going to meet my hammer.

http://cgi.ebay.com/10pcs-Nichicon-1...ht_2708wt_1031

Comment

I also have an anti-static wrist strap, should I use that?

Comment

Okayyyy...

First going from 1000uF to 1500uF doesn't get you any advantage here and in some cases could case problems.
                                      It's only one cap on 5v or 3.3v and there's other caps so one probably won't hurt anything -this time-.

16v doesn't get you anything either but it won't hurt anything.
                                      The reason I said to go up in volts was - if you couldn't find one in the old voltage.

The lower ESR and higher Ripple do get you some margin but going from HM to HN in the same spec cap was enough to get that.

I can't tell if those are counterfeit caps but A LOT of caps on eBay are.
                                      And I mean A LOT!
                                      [Their color looks off but that could just be a crappy photo.]
                                      They are also coming from China which:
                                      - 1: is where a lot of fakes come from, and
                                      - 2: could take a month.

You can get Nichicons from Badcaps.net and Mouser.com.
                                      You don't have to worry about fakes and you'd get them WAY sooner that way.

I think you lucked out this time, just telling you which pits you almost fell in.

--
                                      For future reference: ON A MOBO: 6.3v and 10v caps are interchangeable.
                                      - Voltages on a mobo are 12v and 5v or less. [Nothing is between 12v and 5v.]
                                      - Neither 6.3v or 10v is used on 12v.
                                      - Both 6.3v and 10v can be used on 5v and less.
                                      If not on a mobo you might run across something weird like 9v so that rule only works on mobos.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                      -
                                      -

Comment

I saw that it was coming from China and said hell no, I found a 100uF 16V Rubycon MCZ, coming from Weymouth, MA, United States.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1000uf-16v-Rubyc...#ht_500wt_1282

Comment

Working...
                                        X