Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ratdude's Main rig V3.5

Please do, because that's news to me.

Even if you directly port 32bit programs to 64bit executables, you don't get twice the memory usage.... and it's the first time I hear about memory addressing making applications use twice the memory.

For example, let's say an application holds a bitmap or an icon in memory, using 4 bytes (32bits) for each pixel (red,green,blue, alphablending/transparency).. when you port the application to 64bits, you won't suddenly have 8 bytes per pixel, only the one variable holding the location in memory of the bitmap changes from 4 bytes to 8 ... so you get 4 bytes extra per pointer.

Sure, the OS would use a bit more memory as well to keep track of each app's memory pool but there's things like binary trees and so on on, the os doesn't just double the ram it uses and blocks it, that's silly... and even if it does we're talking a few hundred mb at best from 8-16 gigs.

Anyway, I'm gonna stop, like i said it's off topic.

Comment

Moving this thread back on topic...

Anyway, it looks like it's gonna be 8gb @400... 16gb @266 with all the cards installed and all did the same crap 400 did a few minutes ago. Took out 8gb, (one DIMM per channel) and bumped it back to 400 and all is well (so far).

Kinda sucky... but at least I have Spare RAM modules now.

edit- I looked things up, I'm very wrong. (shovenose, you may virtually kick me in the face). My understanding was that x86-64/EMT64 used both 64 bit words and addresses... now that I look, words (or operands specfically) are still 32 bit. Instructions are indeed 64 bit though.

My apologies. Please, if you do hang me, use the long drop (the short drop is far more brutal).
      Last edited by ratdude747; 07-28-2013, 04:12 AM. Reason: Wrong number
      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

May need more VDIMM. Or time to clean the slots.
        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
          Moving this thread back on topic...

Anyway, it looks like it's gonna be 8gb @400... 16gb @266 with all the cards installed and all did the same crap 400 did a few minutes ago. Took out 8gb, (one DIMM per channel) and bumped it back to 400 and all is well (so far).

Kinda sucky... but at least I have Spare RAM modules now.

edit- I looked things up, I'm very wrong. (shovenose, you may virtually kick me in the face). My understanding was that x86-64/EMT64 used both 64 bit words and addresses... now that I look, words (or operands specfically) are still 32 bit. Instructions are indeed 64 bit though.

My apologies. Please, if you do hang me, use the long drop (the short drop is far more brutal).
          I just get the satisfaction of being right. It's all good I'm not going to kick you in the face or hang you ... injured/dead people can't buy stuff from me

Comment

Hdd came in, smart says it has 15 Bad sectors. Wish me luck.
            sigpic

Comment

May be fine, may not be. I have two HDDs with >400 bad sectors and they still work properly. They're both Seagate drives, too.
              Recovering a BEFSR41 v1 and v2 router from solid red DIAG Light
              I have two v2s and one v1.

I am still looking at these boards nearly every day.

What I'm doing: Planning an upgrade of my mining setup from Block Erupters to Red Furys. Though, if the Block Erupters don't sell, I will keep using them for a while.

Comment

they will ether get marked bad and you'll be fine

or its the beginning of some worse problem and its only the tip of the iceberg
                Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

I'm not worried. the drive it's replacing had 27... and given that what killed it wasn't a platter issue, it should be fine.
                  sigpic

Comment

The former- I'm working on that, I know.

The latter- they're legit upgrade discs, since I have a valid student ID (I am a student at the college) I can get win 7 upgrade discs for $20 a pop. The reason I don't just use another disc and skip activation till I find it is since it's an upgrade, the COA key won't work (you have to have had xp/vista on the hdd used for the install when windows setup begins). Not like XP and 2K, when the upgrade disc was a different image and one could be prompted to insert a previous windows disc to prove the upgrade.
                    Take a look at method 2 from here: http://winsupersite.com/article/wind...e-media-128512

That's all you need to do to get Windows 7 upgrade disks activated. A frend of mine worked for MS back in 2009 (when 7 was released) and they pretty much helped everyone who called in for this sort of activation issue. They even used the registry fix found in the link above.
                    CPU: Sempron 2500+ / P4 2.8E / P4 2.6C / A64 x2 4000+ / E6420 / E8500 / i5-3470 / i7-3770
                    GPU: TNT2 M64 / Radeon 9000 / MX 440-SE / 7300GT / Radeon 4670 / GTS 250 / Radeon 7950 / 660 Ti / GTS 450

Main Driver: Intel i7 3770 | Asus P8H61-MX | MSI GTS 450 | 8GB of NO NAME DDR3 RAM (2x4GB) | 1TB SATA HDD (W.D. Blue) | ASUS DVD-RW | 22" HP Compaq LE2202x (1920x1080) | Seasonic S12II-620 PSU | Antec 300 | Windows 7 Ultimate with SP1

Comment

Originally posted by grss1982 View Post
                      Take a look at method 2 from here: http://winsupersite.com/article/wind...e-media-128512

That's all you need to do to get Windows 7 upgrade disks activated. A frend of mine worked for MS back in 2009 (when 7 was released) and they pretty much helped everyone who called in for this sort of activation issue. They even used the registry fix found in the link above.
                      No biggie, since I need to reinstall it anyway (moving from a 3 disk to a 4 disk RAID 0), I'll get the disc TM (if I can) and go from there. As for activation, I always do a xp install first, as that works all the time.
                      Last edited by ratdude747; 07-31-2013, 08:22 PM.
                      sigpic

Comment

As for activation, I always do a xp install first, as that works all the time.
                        You only need that existing Windows install thing when using the retail upgrade versions, AFAIK.
                        Typical of folks getting Windows from Walmart.....

That's why it was a PITA when I was trying out Vista back in early 2008.

And for the retail version, also be prepared to get treated like a criminal for upgrading your hardware, too.....
                        Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 07-31-2013, 08:44 PM.
                        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                          You only need that existing Windows install thing when using the retail upgrade versions, AFAIK.

And for the retail version, also be prepared to get treated like a criminal for upgrading your hardware, too.....
                          Nope, I tried it w/o once, no dice.
                          sigpic

Comment

Here's some more parts:

I made an offer on this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LG-WH08LS20-...torefresh=true

That's like everything I'd want in a drive. Seriously. My eventual goal was to have both blueray and lightscribe, and given that I already have a SATA burner with neither, IMHO it's a better idea to kill two birds with one stone. Yeah, I probably won't be using blueray all the time (I don't own any BD drives or discs), but I figured it may come in handy down the road... And lightscribe, I have a bunch of lightscirbe DVD+R's that I have a use for... V2 has a lightscribe drive, so I figure V3 ought to as well (other wise I'm stuck using my slow external one).

Ordering this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820176012

I've always been an AFT fan... V2's case and final reader was an AFT. I also considered the $16 more kiosk model, but it's too much $ more, too colorful, and has the annoying connector design in the back (V2's has that, didn't like it).

Comments/ideas? And if you have a SATA burner with lightscribe and/or Blueray (BD-RW is a plus), let me know.
                            sigpic

Comment

Bottom outted off at 45 on the drive. Take it?
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post

I once added a stick of ram to a client desktop. Vista deactivated. The computer shop they brought to previously upgraded them to Ultimate. Not the only time i've seen a computer shop do this. Its not only illegal, it makes things a pain in the ass for people like me

Comment

The discs are weird... they're student/facualty editions of 7 ultimate... but the COA's are upgrade.

I hate to bump, but bump my last post's Q. I only have 48 hours before my offer expires... so if you know if those drives are any good, speak up.
                                  sigpic

Comment

Installed the 4th hdd to the 3ware card, it appears dead. Not even the mobo's own controller detects it.

I'm about to test the card by plugging another drive into port 3 of the card... backign up data first. Let's hope it doesn't die... otherwise I have a drive killer card and only two good drives (and a main rig 3.5 that's presumably cursed).
                                    sigpic

Comment

(drumroll)

The issue is... a faulty drive!

I placed the port 2 drive in port 3, and all was well... I'm going to try for a refund and lok for another drive yet again.

Why does my luck suck so bad?

Edit- Not convinced on the Blu-ray drive... as w/o the software disc, the blu-ray is useless for movies... not even K-lite is any good. Looks like the only way to make it work to buy new (since the used ones with the SW disc are nearly as much $$$) F*ck that, I'll just get a light scribe DVD+RW w/o blu-ray and call it good.
                                      Last edited by ratdude747; 08-02-2013, 01:27 AM.
                                      sigpic

Comment

most of the time blue ray drives come with a copy of a full blown player of some sort, cyberlink or whatnot. Mine did

Comment

Damn, you seem to have horrible luck this time around.
                                          Perhaps the drive was banged around during shipping?

Comment

Working...
                                          X