WestingHouse L2210NW Will not power.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WestingHouse L2210NW Will not power.

So, there I have a Westinghouse L2210NW 22" Monitor that will not power on. It has the "Touch control" buttons, so all of the monitors controls (including power) are of a capacitive touch nature, so I'm hoping this didn't go out on me.

When plugging in the monitor, I can hear a high pitched noise emitting from it (had a similar symptom with a Gateway 22" monitor, turned out to be a bad cap).

I dissembled the unit and saw that the power board had 2 or 3 capacitors that were slightly swolen (the vent had not broken, they were just bowed out a millimeter or two). But the PCB was also discolored near the AC power jack (Not dark brown burned level discolored, just a little browned.) However, all of the solder points and traces on the board appear to be undamaged.

I don't have pictures to post right now, but I will be able to post them later today. I was just wondering if anyone had experience with a discolored power board, and if it was a cause of failure. And also to ask if a capacitor is silghtly swolen, and the vents are not broken, do you think that they have been struck by the plague? Or should they still function at that point.

Just seeing if it's worth throwing $10 in caps into it, or if I should buy a new power board entirely.

Re: WestingHouse L2210NW Will not power.

Originally posted by questionmark425
    So, there I have a Westinghouse L2210NW 22" Monitor that will not power on. It has the "Touch control" buttons, so all of the monitors controls (including power) are of a capacitive touch nature, so I'm hoping this didn't go out on me.

When plugging in the monitor, I can hear a high pitched noise emitting from it (had a similar symptom with a Gateway 22" monitor, turned out to be a bad cap).

I dissembled the unit and saw that the power board had 2 or 3 capacitors that were slightly swolen (the vent had not broken, they were just bowed out a millimeter or two). But the PCB was also discolored near the AC power jack (Not dark brown burned level discolored, just a little browned.) However, all of the solder points and traces on the board appear to be undamaged.

I don't have pictures to post right now, but I will be able to post them later today. I was just wondering if anyone had experience with a discolored power board, and if it was a cause of failure. And also to ask if a capacitor is silghtly swolen, and the vents are not broken, do you think that they have been struck by the plague? Or should they still function at that point.

Just seeing if it's worth throwing $10 in caps into it, or if I should buy a new power board entirely.

I'd say it's worth throwing $10 in caps into it. Anyone with an ESR meter has checked caps that look perfect but have an ESR ten times spec. And I've seen a few with a bulging top (even vented) that still meet spec. The only exception would be if you had a source that would sell you a guaranteed power board for less than $15.

One point; sometimes the problem with the power jack isn't the solder joint to the circuit board. The standard assembly technique is to rivet the center post through the plastic housing and into the tab that gets soldered to the circuit board. If the plastic gets hot or shrinks the center post no longer makes good contact to the tab and you have an erratic connection.

PlainBill
    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Yeah, I'll pick up some caps and give that a shot. They are CapXon caps, so even if that wasn't the issue, since I already busted the monitor open I should probably replace all of those regardless.

I'm mostly just hoping that it isn't the "Touch Controls" that went out.

I'm probably not going to get much farther without pics, and I'll post those in about 4 hours. Just wanted to see if the thread could get a little attention =).

Thanks for the reply =)

Comment

Okay, here are some pictures. The discoloration appears to be minor, but that is just my opinion. you can see that there are two capacitors that are slightly swolen, and I was mistaken about the brand, it is Samxon.

Also, one of the capacitors solder points is about 1mm away from another trace, I'm worried I might mess that up with a solder job.

Let me know what you think.
        Attached Files

Comment

Okay, here are some pictures. The discoloration appears to be minor, but that is just my opinion. you can see that there are two capacitors that are slightly swolen, and I was mistaken about the brand, it is Samxon.

Also, one of the capacitors solder points is about 1mm away from another trace, I'm worried I might mess that up with a solder job.

Let me know what you think.
          That whole board looks kind of unhealthy. I'm going to suggest a series of tests. At this point you haven't really specified what you have tested.

It's late, I'm going to be lazy and just describe what I want tested. If I'm not clear, let me know and I'll mark up some pictures. I'd prefer you didn't electrocute yourself.

1. CAREFULLY measure the voltage across the very large cap with the AC connected. It should be about 1.4 x the AC voltage.

2. At the connector to the logic card, measure the voltage from each pin to ground.

PlainBill
          For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

I'm going to recap the board (because I have new Rubycon caps of the same microfarad rating and greater then or equal voltage just hanging out in my closet, Might as well.)

So, I have a multimeter, but I have no idea what settings to put it on to test the big cap (because I'm a noobie, I've just fixed some easy to solder components in the past). I also don't know what setting to use for the logic card connector pins.

As far as what I have tested: My patience in opening up this monitor (held together by tape instead of screws, I'm totally not joking) and that's about it =(

Sorry for my lack of knowledge, but thanks for the help =)

Comment

I'm going to recap the board (because I have new Rubycon caps of the same microfarad rating and greater then or equal voltage just hanging out in my closet, Might as well.)

So, I have a multimeter, but I have no idea what settings to put it on to test the big cap (because I'm a noobie, I've just fixed some easy to solder components in the past). I also don't know what setting to use for the logic card connector pins.

As far as what I have tested: My patience in opening up this monitor (held together by tape instead of screws, I'm totally not joking) and that's about it =(

Sorry for my lack of knowledge, but thanks for the help =)
              Been there, done that on the patience thing. Try opening a Viewsonic VP211b some time. One point I repeatedly make - there are several small (less than 100 uF caps around the SMPS controller. If those are bad the result will be a dead power supply.

PlainBill

Comment

So, upon looking at the power board, it's just pretty much totally screwed. There are a couple of parts that are physically broken (snapped) and I'm just going to get a new power board off of eBay for $50.

Does anyone maybe have a better recommendation for where to get this power board?

It's a DAC-19M020 AF.

Thanks again.

Comment

I found the board on shopjimmy.com for $29, but I question the legitimacy of the site.

Comment

Hi i have a L2210NW and it powers on and shows video for a second then the screen goes blank. ive taken it apart and looked at the caps and they all look fine. i havnt tested them with a volt meter or anything cus im not sure exactly how to do that. Does anyone know if perhaps the caps arnt the main cause for this issue?

Comment

Originally posted by testas86 View Post
                      Hi i have a L2210NW and it powers on and shows video for a second then the screen goes blank.
                      Start with this

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10419

and ask questions if you need help.

Also post clear focused picture of all your boards (top down view - both sides). Read below before attaching pictures.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1868
                      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Thank you so much for the link to the tutorial on how to test the board a little more then i knew how. So while i was doing the tests it looks like two of the transistors are shorted out. I have the part numbers and ive been looking on the internet now how to find them but so far im at a loss the information on these transistors is:

nec k3113 82ks13

lt 8217 sbf1060ct

lt 8216 stpf1020ct

ill provide pics of the logic board in a few mins

Comment

Comment

also is that line supposed to be one that black box?

Comment

also is that line supposed to be one that black box?
                              No pics posted. Try again.

If your pic is bigger than 2000x2000 you need to resize. There is also a MB restriction. I think each pic can only be around 1.7MB or so.
                              --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

each pic is 1.2 mb, also i see the pics just fine ill put them up again though

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

i was talking about on the first picture top left the rectangle thats black and has yellow trim

Comment

So while i was doing the tests it looks like two of the transistors are shorted out. I have the part numbers and ive been looking on the internet now how to find them but so far im at a loss the information on these transistors is:

nec k3113 82ks13

lt 8217 sbf1060ct

lt 8216 stpf1020ct
                                      Because of the small size and limited area, manufacturers use codes to label their chips. The first one is found at

http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datashe.../2SK3113B.html

For the last 2, I'll need a close up picture to id them.

If you measured them in circuit and found them shorted, remove them and retest them out of circuit to confirm they are shorted. You will have to remove them anyways for the replacements. Just take a picture or mark up the board so you remember which way they are installed.
                                      --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

i was talking about on the first picture top left the rectangle thats black and has yellow trim
                                        Unsure. It could be like that or it could be heat related. It is called a transformer by the way.
                                        --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Working...
                                        X