Dell Precision 470 Workstation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dell Precision 470 Workstation

bigcape; If you want you can buy the mainboard from me that I recapped in the beginning of this thread, because I don't use it anymore
    It is a version (as you can see) with no Poly caps near the CPU VRM

That version does not support the dual core Xeon processor, which I wanted to use.
    So I bought a later revision of the mainboard, that comes standard with Poly caps... Works great...

If you still want to recap your with Polys I can open up my system and take a look what Poly caps it uses

But it is strange yours would kill the Rubycon capacitors, the reason mine failed was it used the known bad Nichicon HM capacitors
    Rubycon should not fail, and the first capacitors to fail should be the ones near the CPU (if they are electrolytic, and not Poly capacitors)
    On your board you seem to imply that the input VRM caps have failed, that would sound to me that the reason is your powersupply is faulty
    Genuine Rubycon capacitors should not fail on this mainboard (It could also be that your capacitors are not genuine Rubycon capacitors, it is very hard to make out on your photo, the colors look all wrong but that could be to the way you took the photo aswell)
    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Just reread your post again, to clarify;
      The input capacitors that sits in the input of the CPU VRM should not be replaced by poly capacitors, only the ones that sits on the CPU VRM's output should be poly capacitors

Please try to take some better pictures of your actual board so we can get a better understanding of what is wrong, and it wont hurt to open up the powersupply aswell, so long you make sure it has been discharged so you don't kill yourself by the voltages present inside!
      "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Thanks Per Hansson ,,, That's two votes the check the PSU.
        Anyone else?
        Anyone?
        Anyone?
        Mann-Made Global Warming.
        - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
        -
        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
        -

Comment

i see the board was already poly modded... didn't know...
          sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
            i see the board was already poly modded... didn't know...
            That was a picture just taken off the web, not of the actual board

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
              That was a picture just taken off the web, not of the actual board
              What he said.

That's why the post said: "The photo is one that has been poly'ed."

-
              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
              -
              You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
              -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
                We repair broken things.
                We talk about what shows up here broken.
                I get it! I LIKE it too!

Fixing broke things is fun even if costs more in the end. Just some of the equipment I've ended up buying to fix a 5 dollar analog meter ended up costig me A WHOLE WORKSHOP and a new hobby.

Hell just a few weeks ago I set up a darkroom and so far have only had the time to make ONE print! (came out purdy good too!)

Look at my signature pic.... Thats a result of ONE bad harddrive....the rest is "History" as they say, i mean a MESS!

Sean
                Last edited by bigcape; 08-15-2010, 04:59 PM.
                sigpicThe master at blowing away MBR's and replacing Seagates!!!

Comment

bigcape; If you want you can buy the mainboard from me that I recapped in the beginning of this thread, because I don't use it anymore
                  It is a version (as you can see) with no Poly caps near the CPU VRM

That version does not support the dual core Xeon processor, which I wanted to use.
                  So I bought a later revision of the mainboard, that comes standard with Poly caps... Works great...

If you still want to recap your with Polys I can open up my system and take a look what Poly caps it uses

But it is strange yours would kill the Rubycon capacitors, the reason mine failed was it used the known bad Nichicon HM capacitors
                  Rubycon should not fail, and the first capacitors to fail should be the ones near the CPU (if they are electrolytic, and not Poly capacitors)
                  On your board you seem to imply that the input VRM caps have failed, that would sound to me that the reason is your powersupply is faulty
                  Genuine Rubycon capacitors should not fail on this mainboard (It could also be that your capacitors are not genuine Rubycon capacitors, it is very hard to make out on your photo, the colors look all wrong but that could be to the way you took the photo aswell)
                  I see that my white ballance was wayyyy off so I retook the shot:
                  [/IMG]

Comment

Just reread your post again, to clarify;
                    The input capacitors that sits in the input of the CPU VRM should not be replaced by poly capacitors, only the ones that sits on the CPU VRM's output should be poly capacitors

Please try to take some better pictures of your actual board so we can get a better understanding of what is wrong, and it wont hurt to open up the powersupply aswell, so long you make sure it has been discharged so you don't kill yourself by the voltages present inside!
                    Here is my actual board.

Thank you for all your help!

Comment

it already has polys on it... put some good rubycons or panasonics (or samxons if you are daring) on it...
                      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                        it already has polys on it... put some good rubycons or panasonics (or samxons if you are daring) on it...
                        Im guessing the polys are the blue ones?

Why are Samxons "daring", expensive?

Comment

Originally posted by bigcape View Post
                          Im guessing the polys are the blue ones?
                          Yes

Why are Samxons "daring", expensive?
                          Samxons aren't Japanese and some specific series have had problems.
                          [I think it was GL and [maybe] GS series'. Not too sure on that...]
                          Some people think they're great and others don't trust them.
                          - In some sizes using Samxon is the only way to get around the cheap Chinese and Taiwanese caps due to low/no availability of appropriate sized Japaneses caps. For example if you need to replace 3300uF or 4700uF 10mm caps in a PSU and it HAS to be 10mm then Samxon RS 3300uF is about the only option.

-

- Dr Seuss
                          -
                          -

Comment

I'd give that board a FULL poly-mod. If it gets re-capped in lytics, won't it just happen again, since the busted caps are rubycon?
                            I think that re-capping a board with busted rubycons in lytics is like replacing bad Fuhjyyu caps with more Fuhjyyu. It would fix it at first, but you would have to recap it again in a year or so.
                            I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

If my board is already a poly mod or a later production (im going for the latter because the welds are not human!), the other caps's are the reveled Rubycon's...... Then

How do you test if here is a possibility that the VRM chip is damaged because a FET has shorted and therefore Vcore will be too high?

This type of testing and how is new and unexplored by me!

Comment

That board isn't known to frequently blow caps outside of the VRM Vcore.
                                - VRM Vcore is where the polys are in the pic I uploaded.
                                - That's why Dell changed to polys there.

And, as has been said several times now...
                                Odds are those caps blew because you had bad cooling or a bad PSU.
                                If you haven't checked the PSU then you may be running your new board on a PSU that blows caps.

VRM Poly upgrades are easy.

"Full Poly Mods" aren't that simple.
                                A poorly done full poly mod can lead to an unstable system or even damage the board.
                                - The rule about reducing uF when you lower ESR does not apply to other parts of a motherboard.
                                [That rule wasn't 'invented' out of the blue, it comes from a tech doc about VRM's.]
                                - Some x-mm at x-uF at x-many volts combinations are expensive, hard to find or simply non existent. Poly's max out at about 1800uF/6.3v and 1000/16v. To get higher uF caps you have to go down in volts.
                                - And you can't cheat on [lower] the volts in other areas of the boards like you can in VRM Vcore because, without physically checking, you don't know the actual circuit volts. You will have to have a working board and actually measure the voltage on each cap with the system loaded and running in each operating condition before you know what voltage replacement caps you can get away with in each position. [Yes, check for every cap.]
                                -

-

- Dr Seuss
                                -
                                -

Comment

And, as has been said several times now...
                                  Odds are those caps blew because you had bad cooling or a bad PSU.
                                  If you haven't checked the PSU then you may be running your new board on a PSU that blows caps.

The 470 does not auto shut off if it was caused by bad cooling?

I actualy started by changing the PSU before the blown caps were discovered.

It will be interesting to crack open the OLD PSU!

How do i assure that is not any stored power in it? Are there bleed points where I can short out with a resistor or is it a self beeding PSU?

I never had "operated" on a PSU, just "test n replace"
                                  Last edited by bigcape; 08-15-2010, 11:21 PM. Reason: top line added

Comment

If you haven't checked the PSU then you may.. (have).a PSU that blows caps.
                                    (bold- bigcape)

Dell's pinouts on their PSU's I've been told are a standard of their own. How would you test the old PSU. I've got it setting right here!

Thx

Sean-Bigcape

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                                      I'd give that board a FULL poly-mod. If it gets re-capped in lytics, won't it just happen again, since the busted caps are rubycon?
                                      I think that re-capping a board with busted rubycons in lytics is like replacing bad Fuhjyyu caps with more Fuhjyyu. It would fix it at first, but you would have to recap it again in a year or so.
                                      So where is the lytics to poly conversion chart?

Comment

(bold- bigcape)

Dell's pinouts on their PSU's I've been told are a standard of their own. How would you test the old PSU. I've got it setting right here!

Thx

Sean-Bigcape
                                        First crack it open [*with it unplugged] and look for blown caps and/or charred darkened components or PCB.
                                        * With it energized the heat-sinks can be at 2x line voltage or more.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                        -
                                        -

Comment

First crack it open [*with it unplugged] and look for blown caps and/or charred darkened components or PCB.
                                          * With it energized the heat-sinks can be at 2x line voltage or more.
                                          I'm GOING in!

A power supply with a handle ought to tell one something all by itself. Especialy in a workstation series!
                                          Last edited by bigcape; 08-16-2010, 12:41 AM. Reason: last line

Comment

Working...
                                          X