Asus A8N-E BIOS settings lost when unplugged

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asus A8N-E BIOS settings lost when unplugged

I finally got this one to boot after removing and replacing the RAM several times.The first boot was really slow. I finally saw the monitor LED stop blinking and after an endless wait it finally booted into the BIOS. After checking the BIOS battery again (fine) it now boots up quickly, but loses the BIOS settings after it's unplugged.

I have another one of these that has the same BIOS loss when unplugged.

Any fix for this?

Re: Asus A8N-E BIOS settings lost when unplugged

could be a bad cmos battery holder. i had a couple of asus boards with that issue. i tried reflowing the two solder pads for the cmos battery holder but no dice. replacing the cmos battery holder with a new one or known working one from a scrap board fixed it. the cmos/bios settings loss that is.

as for the slow sluggishness, that can sometimes happen if the cpu inserted is not supported and u need to update the bios to support the cpu. that is all i know.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbeark View Post
      After checking the BIOS battery again (fine) it now boots up quickly, but loses the BIOS settings after it's unplugged.
      That's what happens with my Asus socket 1366 motherboards, when a Radeon RX 580 is installed. Confirmed that issue to be caused by the Radeon RX 580. (At least the P6T series!)

It was a strange video card compatibility issue when that happened to me.

It's possible that very late Nvidia video cards cause the issue, as well and thus the GeForce GTX 970 or GeForce GTX 980 is possibly the latest you can install without the "CMOS-loss-issue".

For AMD/Radeon, that could be up to R9 290X or before that, maybe as far back as the Radeon HD 7xxx series or before that.

I never saw the CMOS-loss issue with the Asus Strix GeForce GTX 970 installed.
      Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 03-10-2020, 08:31 PM.
      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by ChaosLegionnaire View Post
        could be a bad cmos battery holder. i had a couple of asus boards with that issue. i tried reflowing the two solder pads for the cmos battery holder but no dice. replacing the cmos battery holder with a new one or known working one from a scrap board fixed it. the cmos/bios settings loss that is.

as for the slow sluggishness, that can sometimes happen if the cpu inserted is not supported and u need to update the bios to support the cpu. that is all i know.
        Chaos, thanks for the tip. Replaced the battery holder using one from a dead Acer board, and it worked!

Comment

Working...
        X