ATARI 2600 6 switch WANG CAPACITOR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ATARI 2600 6 switch WANG CAPACITOR

my 4 switch atari had kinda died so i found a used 6 switch and brought it back to life, when i got it, it had no power or video. so far recapped the main 2200uf cap and two small 4.7uf caps, the main was a WANG brand and was replaced with Nichicon and the smallers were also WANG (=====> replaced with ITT which is a brand i have not heard of. Also replaced the power switch with one from my doner 4 switch board and resolded some joints, the ribbon cable between the mainboard and the switch board was problem matic so sand papered the metal prongs and she seems good to go now, working great.
    Attached Files
    My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Re: ATARI 2600 6 switch WANG CAPACITOR

Originally posted by BigTroll View Post
    my 4 switch atari had kinda died so i found a used 6 switch and brought it back to life, when i got it, it had no power or video. so far recapped the main 2200uf cap and two small 4.7uf caps, the main was a WANG brand and was replaced with Nichicon and the smallers were also WANG (=====> replaced with ITT which is a brand i have not heard of. Also replaced the power switch with one from my doner 4 switch board and resolded some joints, the ribbon cable between the mainboard and the switch board was problem matic so sand papered the metal prongs and she seems good to go now, working great.
    Nice!

wang dang sweet poontang!

I think I might have an "ITT" capacitor or two in my cap box. Not sure of the reliability of them, never used them on anything yet. They are just general purpose if I recall correctly.
    Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Nice fix. It's interesting to see that crappy caps were used even in very old electronics.

Originally posted by BigTroll View Post
      replaced with ITT which is a brand i have not heard of.
      My guess is they have nothing to do with ITT Tech University

Comment

Wang, pay attention!
        "I was distracted by that enormous flying..."

The best cap brand I've found was FU-YU.

The leads on that Nichicon cap look unusually thin.

I have seen ITT caps in really old stuff.

Comment

Yikes i hope they are real, I haven't seen to many nichicon axials so its hard to say, either way the WANGs were leaking so I wanted to be proactive, also I plan on replacing the teapos in my other 4 switch, the primary isn't leaking but the tiny 4.7uf 35v caps are showing signs of leakage and the video quality is not nearly as good as my 6 switch.
          My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Comment

Nice save. I used to have such things. I was sad when having to part with them. At one time I had two working Commodore C-64s. Sigh.

Comment

i have an amiga1200

Comment

Could these Taiwanese electrolytics be first or second generation units?
                My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Working...
                X