This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

hello, back from issues i had mentally and physically, hope to be back in business soon. Greetings from CA

Comment

Good forum, thanks for admins.

Comment

Hi there - I'm a hobbyist from the UK. Having fun and doing bad solders since 2001!

Comment

Hi.
          Hopefully, I will find some help here troubleshooting TV power supply issue

Comment

hi. novice electronics old guy here. found a hitachi hdtv in garbage. i would like to try to repair. where can i go to post pictures and search for advice. i tried to look up hitachi LE42h508 but no luck so far.
            thanks

Comment

Hi. I am Todd. old guy that likes to tinker with electronic stuff. not the best at it.
              I found an HDTV in the garbage. It turns on but looks bad. thought it might be a neat project to see if i can find out what's wrong and if i might fix it. Hitachi LE42H508. I think someone dropped it. anyway i found your site which looks cool so this is my intro so i can send pictures of tv.

Comment

i am joining to fix psu's and learn about the internals. hi all.

Comment

Hi I am CharlieBird I have been in electronic s for the past 50 years. i am now retired but
                  enjoy servicing all flat panel Tv's as a hobby.https://www.badcaps.net/forum/images/smilies/rockon.gif

Comment

Hi, needed a help about my acer aspire v5. No display. hmmmm, no technician as been able to fix it. Anyways, I am from West Africa, Ghana a civil Engineer but I love computers.

Comment

Saludos desde Ecuador, contento de formar parte de este Grupo.

Originally posted by petabyte View Post
                      As this is a brand new forum, I thought I'd open up a thread to encourage new members to introduce themselves a bit.. now hey.. let's not get too personal.. ok ?

And if you wouldn't mind to keep this thread "clean" let's try to keep the the chitchat (i.e. even the welcome to the board replies) to a minimum or this thread may get to 100 pages fast

So I'll start things off :

My name is petabyte and I'm a forum junkie. :oops: I've been off the wagon for a number of years and countless times I've tried to stop but it's useless.. I need to feed my learning addiction.. :!:

Now just a bit about me.. I'm a fairly secretive guy in terms of privacy on the net.. especially when the things you write are visable to anyone with a net connection. But I love to share the info and knowledge I have, so that's why I'm here, to share and learn.

my formal education is that of an electronic engineer and I held a field service position with a firm for over 20 years.. that job is gone now along with company car and laptop <cry> oh well..
                      So needless to say (but i will) I've always tinkered with things.. yes, a hacker.. (too bad that term lost it's orignal meaning) a hardware hacker mostly.. hacking fixes in whatever I find that breaks.. (except for cars, I have friends for that) I got started a little late into the computers, my first box was an ibm pc-xt with a whopping 10meg HD,blazing fast 4.66mhz 8086 processor, 640k mem running dos 3.3.. man was I cool back then.. :roll: nevermind..

so these days, I'm forced to be a software guy as well.. as I fix pc's for friends and that usually means cleaning virus/trojan/adware and reinstalling OS's.. yeah hardware breaks but not that often :cry: so as a result, I keep up on my software knowledge by visting a few security forums.. and trolling around a few hardware forums as well.

now I found this place from a thread at motherboards.org/forums
                      where I've been hanging out lately.. it's a nice friendly place with some pretty smart people.. mostly, of course, it's about mobo's.. So this person mentioned badcaps.net and I recalled reading articles a year or so ago about the faulty caps and was curious as to what you guys were up to.. and I said "w00t.. they have a forum"..

and so now.. you're stuck with me :P

so what's your story ? come on.. give it up..

Comment

Saludos desde Ecuador, gracias por dejarme formar parte de este valioso grupo.

Comment

G'Day,
                          Playing with test equipment, repairs and building my own equipment is the way I get my kicks.
                          Andrew VK3KIS

Comment

My Name is Jaff
                            I am new on this forum and I am also newbies in field.
                            I working on hard disk to learn how to repair and recovery so it will be very great full for me to learn new things in the forum. Hope for Best
                            Best Regards to All Members

Comment

Good morning. Looking for information on fixing a Panasonic plasma TC-P50G10 8 blink problem. I will have a look around but wanted to make my first post.

Comment

Hi all,
                                This is Scott, Just had a lightning hit and took out 3 cable boxes and the tv's connected to them. Mainly want to get the Samsung PN60F5500AFXZA working again 1st.

Comment

just sayin 'hi" got a lot of problems with tech lately and hope to get some answers. mainly a Asus monitor and a Magnavox TV (which i will be askin help on first, lol)

Comment

Hi all its agmar from morocco 30 years
                                    i do repair some ink jets
                                    best regrades for u all

Comment

hello

Comment

hello

Comment

Hi friends The story why:

Seaman: "- Capt'ain, we're fine on your linux boat, but the crew needs some entertainment at times. They drink, they sleep, too much: we need games cap'tain."

Capitain: "- My good fellow, I could ask a virtual machine to the king: what about installing a Windows in there and plenty of games?"

Seaman: "- That's a reasonable idea Cap'tain, but you know how slow it will be. Virtualized graphics processor units are so slow. I found a map describing how to reach the GPU-passthrough gates. If we reach there, the gaming experience promises to be great. 95% of the native performance"

Capitain: "- Fun is not about computing power and nice graphics young boy, it's about gameplay. That virtual GPU can kick your ass with the hardest old NES games. Forget about messing with the engines."

Seaman: "- I'm not a philosopher Cap'tain, let's go back to the VM topic please. The barmaid is a trendy kind of woman, how could I impress her with Mario Bros 3 or Ninja Turtles? I couldn't. We need to boot Fortnite and we'll never achieve this with a virtual GPU!"

Capitain: "- Ok boy, promises for a lady wins it all. We'll do that. But be prepared: our boat is a solid linux but is not the master of oceans. Currently, we're in the HpZbook15MobileWorkstation creek. It's not an easy one. Did you ever heard of its Optimus technology? Are you knowledged about discrete GPUs?"

Seaman: "- What do you mean Cap'tain?"

Capitain: "- I mean we'll need KVM virtualization. That one needs to be parameterized with a dump of the GPU BIOS."

Seaman: "- Haha, it's newbie stuff Cap'tain. How weak is that. We have them all in our TechPowerup chest."

Capitain: "- You don't know Optimus yet, it's an ocean of pain: the system BIOS and the VGA BIOS are mixed into a single BIOS file. They work together to switch between low and high graphics power. KVM is not prepared to this. We'll need to find a way to extract the VGA bios out of that jungle.."

Seaman: "- Oh no, it can't be. How.. How.. I'm terrified Cap'tain."

Capitain: "- Don't be, my good fellow. You see this point on the map?: it's Badcaps Island. Old friends of mine live there, and they know how to unveil a manufacturer BIOS secrets. Let's head there. Full engines, poweeeer UP!"

Seaman: "- Will they help for free? I'm now experienced with Java and web development. But I know nothing about embedded devices, low level programming or soldering Cap'tain.."

Capitain: "- (the kid needs to be confident..) Full engines, poweeeer UP!""

* The journey begins *

Comment

Working...
                                          X