Sharp LC60LE660U screen flashes on power on then nothing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sharp LC60LE660U screen flashes on power on then nothing

Ok, thanks Budwich for the explanation it seems pretty clear. Do you think I can just remove the crumpled tab and try it and see? Or do I have to remove all 5 tabs on that side ?

I did read other threads but I get confused, some say to remove the left or right panel. Others have side tabs that seem to be attached to a small board, but I think my crumpled tab is attached directly to the panel. What would you do? Tks.

Comment

the differences have to do with the various types / sizes of set... some have side edge boards others just have "loop tabs" which "daisy chain" internal panel connections. Yours appears to only have the "loop tabs". All tabs along the bad side have to be removed because when you remove one, you break the "chain" resulting in the remaining ones loading down the tabs on the other side.

The tabs pull off like tape. You need to ensure the contacts on the panel are clean of any "stuff" but in general people find that once they are removed, unless obvious large pieces are left behind, its basically done.

Anyways, it is a gamble but based on your work so far, I don't think that there is much else.
      Last edited by budwich; 08-08-2018, 08:34 AM.

Comment

Well, I gave it a try and pulled the 5 tabs on the same side (side where there was a crumpled tab) and no luck. Didn't fix the problem.

Now when I start her up, I just get a longer flash of the backlights (1-2 seconds), nos image white standy led on solid. I disconnected the ribbon cable from the tcon (looking at front side of TV) the right side, same behavior. Tried the other side, same behavior. Funny, I disconnected left side, kept right side connected and disconnected far end right side panel bar (so looking at the tv, it is the 3rd one from the left) and the tv powers on, all I get is a 1/4 of image but only vertical stripes all sorts of colors, and when I hit menu I can see it working but I have no idea where I am in the menu, but the pattern changes when I go left, right, press ok, etc. The image is the 3rd quarter from the left.

Tried all sorts of combinations, like resetting but nothing works. I guess this one is good for the EcoCentre! Will be selling the parts however. Thank you for your help Budm and Budwich and Sam.

Comment

:-(((
          I think I might have screw you by misunderstanding what you reported and the "right left, what cable was connected, etc" descriptions.

first... I should have made it clear that all tcon to panel cables had to be connected. Next, your test of disconnecting "things" should have been at the "half board interconnect". You should have done one side and then the other and checked the result. I am sorry. I still am somewhat unclear as to what you are describing in the previous post. Anyways, please restudy the situation as I truly don't understand what cables are where and when and the result.
          Last edited by budwich; 08-08-2018, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Hey, did some more testing and I finally got an image not very nice and shaky but I can see the menu in the top half, bottom half is rainbow colored.

I changed the 2 ribbon cables that connect the 2 small boards together on each side the left one to the right and vice versa.

This is with everything connected...but that left tab that was becoming hot, is still very hot and I think that is what is causing the remaining problem. What should I do, do I remove the other 5 tabs?
            Attached Files
            Last edited by rddube; 08-08-2018, 11:14 AM.

Comment

No ... you need at least one side of tabs

Comment

I know you got this tv from someone but the initial state was not "solid" in that one doesn't know how the cables were connected in terms of alignment. This might have caused some confusion for the subsequent tests with cables removed / replaced.... especially I believe one post you indicate a picture one time but not when the set was lying down. That might have been a "missed clue" about something not quite right... maybe.

Anyways, you need to put on your glasses and ensure that all the cables AND ribbons / interconnects are seated / align properly.... this is especially true about the interconnect ribbons going between the bottom edge boards... it is very easy to get those mis-aligned... and the fact that you swapped them and got a picture is "funny" as those ribbons are only "wired in tape" so they can't really work one way and then not the other... unless they are truly damaged... look at them closely.

What I am fearing is that one of them was not seated well, when you did one test and got a picture (3/4) by removing it. Before that, you had done the "other side" and got no picture.... that was potentially the other side that was not touched by you yet was not seated well. This meant that the panel was not being powered by either side tabs... one interconnect that you removed and one that was not seated well. When you went about the test and removing the poorly seated cable, you got a picture (3/4) but the far tab was hot. that is an indication that tab could be bad and / or overload. I made a bad assumption about having a display one way versus the other but should have got you to reconfirm your tests... :-)
                Last edited by budwich; 08-08-2018, 11:38 AM.

Comment

OK... am I right that the side that has the vertical multi color lines is the side with the tabs removed? IF so, is you go back to your "disconnect the interconnect ribbon" on those bottom edge boards, what happens... you should get back to a good 3/4 picture like before. Please confirm.

Comment

Hello, sorry for getting back so late, I was away yesterday. Last night I continued my tests, but bad news, after reconnecting everything and wanting to do the test i.e. disconnect the interconnect ribbon, couldn't get the tv to behave as before.

This time with anything connected, it powers up with the white led, but nothing, absolutely nothing on the screen, no flash of the backlights, nothing. Then I noticed the led is giving an error message one long blink at 2-3 seconds interval. From the service manual, it appears that there is now a lamp/inverter fault. When I totally disconnect the Tcon board, backlights don't come on as before. Gotta get back to diagnosing why I get no backllights........

Comment

:-( 1 step forward... three steps back :-(
                      It doesn't sound good. check the connectors on the power board for the inverter to led strings along with voltages.

Comment

lamp error reset needed? try this, volume up and channel down as well plugging in the TV at the same time

Comment

Budwich: Will be getting on that later tonight.

Vinceroger69: That's an idea, and I tried it but no change. I tried it twice. Could it be another key combination on this model? Tks!

Do you gentlemen think it could be a led that went out? Since I have it on it's back with the frame removed, I could remove the panel and check the led lights pretty easily? Or should I do as what you suggest Budwich, reinstall the metal frame, turn it over (boy this thing is heavy!) and check voltages and connections. I'm tempted to check the leds first. Let me know what you think, thanks!
                          Last edited by rddube; 08-09-2018, 07:35 AM.

Comment

Ok so I decided to follow Budwich's advice and put the frame back, turned it over and took voltage readings. All my voltages seem to be ok and on the led driver LED1+ I get 74.2V and on LED2+ I get 74.2V, but no backlights are on??

Also, when I disconnect the Tcon from the main board, I get a solid standby led white, that doesn't flash and I can see a red led under the optical digital input component on the main board that comes on. I still have 74.2V on my led drivers but no backlights? Not sure what to try next?
                            Last edited by rddube; 08-09-2018, 07:14 PM.

Comment

If I were to hear that description I'd say the LED string has to be open somewhere. Did you pull the panel and check the LED's? If you did, did you make sure they were all plugged in before you dropped the panel back in? Did you pull on the LED harness too hard by accident and maybe one of the plugs came un-done?
                              They call me......."threadkiller"

Comment

Originally posted by DXseekerMO View Post
                                If I were to hear that description I'd say the LED string has to be open somewhere. Did you pull the panel and check the LED's? If you did, did you make sure they were all plugged in before you dropped the panel back in? Did you pull on the LED harness too hard by accident and maybe one of the plugs came un-done?
                                Thanks for your reply. It was the first thing I did, i.e. check the leds and connections to the leds because at first that's what I thought was the initial problem. Turned out leds were fine and connections fine too.

But with the batteries of tests I did since checking the leds (multiple starts, switching off, etc. ) it might of burnt one of the leds, so I guess I'll need to check them again because all connections seem fine. I'll get on that tonight as I have to remove the panel which is not an easy thing on these big monsters! I'll let you know what my results are of checking the leds. Tks again.

Comment

Ok, so I tested the leds and they are all ok. I have 2 strips of 54 leds, they are Samsung 7030 leds 6V. Does that mean I need to have 324V for each strip to light up? I only get 74V at the led connectors when TV is turned on.

So I guess the problem is with the inverter? Will wait for a reply before closing the leds section. Thank you!

Comment

Have I been abandoned? Don't really know what to try next. I did put the panel back together and laid it on face downwards ready to check voltages.

When I plug in the TV, it now comes on by itself with the standby white light flashing slowly, 1 blink at a time.

Comment

Does the lack of response mean that there is nothing else that can be done with this TV? If so, I guess she'll be good for the Ecocentre?

From reading other threads I think it is in locked up mode because of lamp error...and I tried pretty much everything to try and reset it (key combinations and plugged it in, etc.) but it's a little difficult to do when you don't see anything on the screen, even with a flashlight it doesn't seem to be showing anything on the screen.
                                      Last edited by rddube; 08-11-2018, 09:07 PM.

Comment

people have lives beyond the internet. :-)
                                        what is the output voltages when the strings are not connected?

Comment

Hey Budwich! Ok, I have 74.9V on one string and 75.6V on the ohter string....pretty much the same as when they are connected.....

Tks!

Comment

Working...
                                          X