Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wired networking in an apartment

Originally posted by smason View Post
    It's not that it can cause a fire, it's that if it burns IN a fire, and it's not plenum-rated cable, it can give off very toxic gas.
    And can actually spread a fire that would otherwise be isolated by non-combustible material.

We have to use plenum-rated cable for runs in the drop ceilings of office buildings, because the space above the ceiling tiles is considered a plenum.

That said, I have a few runs of cat 6 in my cold air return. (plenum rated, but might still be against code)
    So how is it better to tack it to a base-board?
    - Or run it through a wall?
    If there is a fire it still gives off the toxins,, only it will catch fire [from the other fire] much more readily.
    And if it catches fire it's still going to follow the wire into the other room and as it's attached directly to flammable materials it will contribute to spreading the fire much more easily.
    That plenum stuff makes sense in big huge buildings when a fire at one end doesn't affect anyone at the other except for ventilation,, but no so much in smaller buildings or a house.
    Last edited by PCBONEZ; 04-20-2011, 10:55 PM.
    Mann-Made Global Warming.
    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
    -
    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
    -

Comment

Myself, I would most likely try something like the Western Digital Livewire. I mentioned that one as it has four Ethernet ports on each device.

Comment

Decision and agreement witht he landlord and the roommates is that we'll be either securing it to the floor wuing tape or hanging ot off the walls using those 3M hooks that can be removed without leaving marks.
        Find Nedry!

Check the Vending machines!!

<----Computer says I need more beer.

Comment

wuing tape ??
          Mann-Made Global Warming.
          - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
          -
          You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
          -

Comment

wuing tape
            what the bloody fu**

Comment

Oh god. The beer was helping me with grammar. :P

*using tape
              Find Nedry!

Check the Vending machines!!

<----Computer says I need more beer.

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                what happens if a mouse chewed it and wire hit duct? short city!
                Only you ratdude! lol.

On a serious note I've run through ducts all the time with no ill effects. Most furnaces are designed with a 135°f outlet temp and all my cable is rated 165°f. Also one apartment I lived in had a structured media closet and my landlord let me cut holes in the walls. Thenagain there were a ton of holes when I moved in and he paid me to fix the place up.

BTW the removable adheasive has a tendancy to pull paint off if its left on over a year so id make sure to get some spare paint to do touchups.

Ps I've had nothing but trouble with ethernet over power but that was years ago and I hear its much better now. Anyone else have real world experience with it?

Comment

Aww crap I arrived too late to this party. Did you get the rats out of the plenum with the duct tape???

Guess I'll just run the post game report. Mad_professor in with the most elegant (but expensive, but portable) solution; never used it myself so I can't really comment on speed vs traditional TP cable. Pentium what re-code-tarded city do you live in??? As others have already pointed out, plenum rated cable is specifically designed for duct work; miles of it installed in NYC everyday. Pretty sure that's an NFPA code; usually only a dillweed building inspector with something to prove (usually how low his IQ is and how much power he can wield) would overrule a national fire code.
                  PCBONEZ comes in with the usual old fart uber rational humor with which I completely concur: if the wires are smoking or on fire, you've got bigger problems than a little toxic gas. If there are vermin running amuck in your airducts, you should be more concerned with things like Black Plague, Hantavirus, various parasites, you know...shit that's gonna kill you!
                  Also, there is a distinction that should be made between Riser and Plenum cables. Riser can be used wherever there is a space that IS NOT used as an air duct. Plenum cable can basically be used ANYWHERE, but is more expensive. I say buy plenum for everything in the walls, through ducts, etc. And leave riser for making patch cables. That way you don't get into trouble at inspection time.

Finally I'll propose the most elegant solution Pentium in your case. Go HERE and see if this fits your budget, works with your baseboard, and is kosher with your landlord. Hope this helps!
                  If you voted for Obama in 2008 to prove you weren't a racist, you'd better vote for someone else in 2012 to prove you're not an idiot!

Comment

Working...
                  X