Worth recapping old game consoles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worth recapping old game consoles

I have 2 old game consoles, a HD sega genesis/mega drive and a Saturn.
    I hardly use the the genesis but with it being so old and having so many caps I thought about replacing them. All the caps look good. No venting or bulging caps to be seen. and the Saturn almost no electrolytic capacitors to begin with, but I play it alot. and I mean a lot. Too much. I know sega cheep out with the caps on the later Saturn's witch I have and the the early genesis had ok caps but its about 25 years old now.
    I'd rather buy a kit for them, as apposed to finding out every cap I need and buying them. I don't think bad caps even has the caps I would need, could be wrong.

Both consoles show no sings of having bad caps and work fine. But given their age I should think about recapping them. I bet the genesis would have a lot better sound and video output If I recapped it.

What are your thoughts?

Re: Worth recapping old game consoles

25 years, I would recap it as a precaution.... If you care about them anyway. I find consoles not worth any work personally.
    Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by goontron View Post
      25 years, I would recap it as a precaution.... If you care about them anyway. I find consoles not worth any work personally.
      From what I read, recapping a HD sega genesis can make a big difference with the quality of sound and video do to the age. But I don't know.
      Last edited by caper; 12-04-2015, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by caper View Post
        From what I read, recapping a HD sega genesis can make a big difference with the quality of sound and video do to the age. But I don't know.
        I don't doubt it... Filters dry out and are less effective letting out noise on audio and video, Bypass caps dry out and weird things happen. video glitches mainly from what i hear.... Also I've heard freezing can become frequent too!
        Last edited by goontron; 12-04-2015, 12:04 PM.
        Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Anyone know if there are any good cap kits for the Saturn and mega drive? I'd hate to have to buy each one on it's own.

Comment

http://console5.com/store/sega-genes...s-cap-kit.html

Comment

$5 not bad...

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

im not sure what country etc caper is in so postage may cost alot more

Comment

A number of the early SMD aluminium electrolytic capacitors (especially from the late-80s to early-90s) can be problematic, in my experience and elsewhere.
                  My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Working...
                  X