Bad caps found on two Soltek SL-75DRV5 boards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad caps found on two Soltek SL-75DRV5 boards

A friend an I bought identical hardware in 2003. For mobo we picked the Soltek SL-75DRV5. Recently, he was having some flaky behavior with his video card, and he noticed several bad caps on his board. At least 5 were bulged and leaking yellowish residue at the top. I took a look at my board and noticed 2 that are bulged and leaking residue.

Well get some caps from Topcat and get crackin!!

MD
    Ya'll think us folk from the country's real funny-like, dontcha?

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of BADCAPS.NET or any of their affiliates.

Comment

Just a quick update...

I re-inspected my motherboard last night and found that all 4 caps nearest to the CPU are bulging, but only 2 show any residue of leakage. The two that aren't leaking yet aren't nearly as bad, but they are obviously beginning to form the bulge. These caps are 2200 uF 6.3 V. At the angle in my case, I was unable to read the brand, but I think it might be GSC (known to be prone to failing, and known to be used on other soltek boards of this era). The other caps on my board appear to be different smaller sizes, and likely from the same company, but they all appear to be intact so far.

My friend's board has the same problem with those 4 nearest the CPU, though his show even more leakage. He also has a smaller one that is near the AGP slot that is bulging and leaking. He couldn't read the size of that one with the video card plugged in, but he will be taking that out soon to get a closer look.

Comment

Working...
      X