• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ESR meter upgrades

here is your foto of using an LM4040 inplace of the TL431
    Attached Files

Comment

stj ive noticed the last few months some more of these testers have come out i wouldnt mind a colour screen version 16 mhz which one are you recomending at the minute

Comment

there is only one colour unit as a kit / with software.

there are 2 others sold in cases that look interesting - wait a while.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
          there is only one colour unit as a kit / with software.

there are 2 others sold in cases that look interesting - wait a while.
          Cheers will do im in no rush.

Comment

Do you know if an SCR should be possible to read on the transistor tester?
            Specifically a S2514NH. (Attached datasheet).
            It shows up just as a 15ohm resistor. (I am suspecting something is wrong with the SCR).
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Per Hansson; 10-09-2016, 11:51 AM.
            "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

no idea, it may depend on gate current.

i cant tell you that low gate current triacs can be tested - because i tried one yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
                Do you know if an SCR should be possible to read on the transistor tester?
                Specifically a S2514NH. (Attached datasheet).
                It shows up just as a 15ohm resistor. (I am suspecting something is wrong with the SCR).
                That definitely sounds suspect. Check it with your multimeter. It's essentially like a BJT with an extra diode junction on the Collector.
                See SCR Construction @ Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silico...r#Construction

That said, you should get an open-circuit between Anode and Cathode terminals (A and K), and a diode Vf between Gate (G) and Cathode (K).

Good point in asking if the TT can check this component. IIRC, I remember a picture of one showing it testing a TRIAC. Don't remember about SCR, though. I don't think I have any SCRs in my junk box so can't check.
                Last edited by momaka; 10-11-2016, 09:56 PM.

Comment

the test current is very limited.

Comment

Thanks Momaka!
                    Originally posted by momaka View Post
                    That said, you should get an open-circuit between Anode and Cathode terminals (A and K)
                    -I get 7MΩ

and a diode Vf between Gate (G) and Cathode (K).
                    -I get 0.036

Good point in asking if the TT can check this component. IIRC, I remember a picture of one showing it testing a TRIAC. Don't remember about SCR, though. I don't think I have any SCRs in my junk box so can't check.
                    I asked on eevblog too and got this reply:
                    This device is capable of recognizing Thyristors IF the gate current is <~ 5-6mA.
                    Your SCR requires minimum 20mA so cannot be recognized. Your SCR could well be OK.

Graham
                    I reckon it's dead, could this work as a replacement?
                    Thing sits in an electric fence controller...

https://www.elfa.se/en/thyristor-to-...00r/p/17201058

the test current is very limited.
                    I've seen one Chinese version with a booster circuit, I assume that would then have the possibility to measure my SCR?
                    Last edited by Per Hansson; 10-15-2016, 02:15 AM.
                    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

the booster is voltage, not current - it's for zener diodes.

Comment

-I get 0.036
                        That looks like a Gate to Cathode short-circuit.
                        Yup, I think it's bad. I had two big RCA 1884 SCRs from a very old HP DC power supply that were blown the same way. Also, yesterday I just pulled a TRIAC from a home food processor. Was O/C between A and K terminals with a short-circuit between the input A terminal and G . Thankfully, the IC and driving circuitry was undamaged.

I reckon it's dead, could this work as a replacement?

https://www.elfa.se/en/thyristor-to-...00r/p/17201058
                        Well, I am no expert on SCRs and TRIACs, but that looks about right. You got the same current and voltage ratings. The gate current on your replacement part is a little more sensitive, but I think that's a good thing, because then the controller should be able to drive it more easily (kind of like a MOSGET with a lower gate charge/capacitance).

the booster is voltage, not current - it's for zener diodes.
                        Yes, I think I remember readings something like that too.

Then again, all you need to test a Zener diode is a breadboard, a few resistors, and a power supply with a high enough voltage and current.

Comment

about swapping triacs.
                          one thing i learned the hard way - make sure you know if the original and replacement have an isolated tab or one linked to the center pin.

unless you want a live heatsink!!

Comment

A few days ago my Tester DIY Kit arrived. But without any documentation. Only the PCB and the parts.
                            My question is if someone with the same tester can take a picture of it without the LCD installed? That would help a lot.

And i want to ask if it is possible to protect the tester against a charged capacitor. Or better protect the tester in case i forget to discharged a capacitor.
                            That are the parts i got from ebay (the 16Mhz crystal is still in transit but the LM4040 is already here)
                            Attached Files

Comment

i dont know why a foto would help? all the part values are marked.

Comment

The assembly doc and manual are attached here.
                                Perhaps reading this thread will help you further:
                                http://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/$20-lcr-esr-transistor-checker-project/2400/
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by Dutch52; 10-21-2016, 03:42 AM.

Comment

updates.
                                  because i'm probably moving soon due to gentrification and all my shit will be in storage!
                                  Attached Files

Comment

updates.
                                    because i'm probably moving soon due to gentrification and all my shit will be in storage!
                                    Sorry to hear that stj . I absolutely hate moving myself. I hope you don't get dealt a bad card with that. Have you found a new place yet? (perhaps keep us updated in VIP.)

Comment

no idea about anything.

Comment

Thanks for the update, finally put in a 16Mhz crystal to test it, worked fine
                                        Got any firmware built for 20Mhz too?

Comment

no, it cant do it because the delays are carefully tuned for each crystal speed.

Comment

Working...
                                          X