MacBook Pro (17-inch Mid 2009) 820-2610 MLB Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MacBook Pro (17-inch Mid 2009) 820-2610 MLB Repair

I've recently come across a MacBook Pro (17-inch Mid 2009) in almost pristine condition. The machine owes me nothing so far, but considering its condition, build quality and that incredible 17-inch screen I would like to see what can be done with it.

It didn't power on. The machine did start for a while, but only if I disconnected some auxiliary components to reduce the current draw on the Logic Board. The LED on the front illuminates for a second, then the machine clicks off. Sometimes it will make it half way through boot and then suddenly shut off. In the rare occasion the machine does make it to the desktop, usually after five or six attempts, it will generally stay running without issue. After a while the machine stopped starting up entirely no matter what I tried.

I tested the PM_SLP_S4_L line which is a common failure on these boards and found it was reading at 0.3v, much too low to start the system. I replaced the 330uF 2.5v Poly-Tant capacitor at position C7771 with a Poly-Film capacitor, and with some creative component placement, this resolved the problem. The rail now comes up to 1.1v and the machine powers on.

However it doesn't complete POST. The front sleep LED comes on, the fans spin, the HDD receives power and that's about it. Removing the memory modules results in no change, no memory beeps. The board did work previously, albeit intermittently, which makes me think something went awry in the process of replacing the capacitor.

I would like to probe around the board further and see what went wrong, but I wouldn't know where to start. I have seen some online sources offering schematics (SCHEMATIC,Folsten_MBP17) and board views for the 820-2610 series of boards, but I thought I would ask here first. This board has always been a great resource for hobbyist electronics repairers and if someone does have it, it saves me having to share my credit card details with some rather sketchy websites.

Cheers in advance.

~ iMic.
    Last edited by iMic; 05-22-2016, 11:55 AM.

Re: MacBook Pro (17-inch Mid 2009) 820-2610 MLB Repair

I think some people have had problems with BIOS that was corrupt that caused such issues.

Comment

it's a good job what are you doing, thanks for sharing your experience friend.

Comment

Started the machine yesterday afternoon and she ticked over without a hitch.

I have seen issues before where the alcohol cleaning solvent hadn't fully evaporated from the board causing some anomalies, so I wonder if that was the case here. Been running for about 9 hours stable now including an Apple Service Diagnostic EFI / OS stress test, so it now looks rather promising for this board.

Originally posted by keeney123 View Post
        I think some people have had problems with BIOS that was corrupt that caused such issues.
        I have heard these machines can have some issues with the EFI ROM / BIOS. The chip in question is directly opposite the C7771 capacitor on the opposite side of the board, so sometimes heating the ROM chip can make the board appear to work again - in reality it's the heating of the adjacent capacitor that causes the board to start up.

Still, something to keep in mind if I continue to have issues with it down the track.
        Last edited by iMic; 05-23-2016, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Eventually did manage to track down the necessary schematics and board view files for this model. I've attached them here in case we want to add them to the collective community archive of notebook schematics.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by iMic View Post
            Eventually did manage to track down the necessary schematics and board view files for this model. I've attached them here in case we want to add them to the collective community archive of notebook schematics.
            Thanks for the BV files. Adding them to my collection. Have been working on modifying the OpenBoardView program on linux the last couple of days to add more features/usability.
            YouTube Repair Videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/19PLD73
            FlexBV BoardView software - Linux/OSX/Windows - http://pldaniels.com/flexbv

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/user/rossmanngroup/videos

This man is a genius when it comes to mbp mobo repair. Amazing channel! Definitely take a peek.

Comment

Originally posted by 2andrewd View Post
                https://www.youtube.com/user/rossmanngroup/videos

This man is a genius when it comes to mbp mobo repair. Amazing channel! Definitely take a peek.
                What I really enjoy about his videos is the entertainment value as well. Sure, there's a few things on the technical/purity-side that aren't quite correct but really the guy is fantastic. I'm already subscribed from last week and I see he's just clocked over 150,000. It was only about 24 hours ago I watched the video doing the very repair that was done here (regarding the poor cap issue).
                YouTube Repair Videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/19PLD73
                FlexBV BoardView software - Linux/OSX/Windows - http://pldaniels.com/flexbv

Comment

Just saw a vid of his about reballing and reflowing. Said reflowing is bullshit because it's the chip not the solder balls and explained if you heat it without melting the balls the chip will work again. Seems he forgot about thermal expansion.

Comment

Originally posted by inflex View Post
                    Thanks for the BV files. Adding them to my collection. Have been working on modifying the OpenBoardView program on linux the last couple of days to add more features/usability.
                    Only recently managed to compile OpenBoardView on OS X. Still needs some refinement on an OS X host but it already works a lot better than Landrex Test Link does. Looking forward to seeing what can be done with it as new features are added.

Currently working on sourcing schematics and board views for other boards as well. Starting to build a reasonable collection of them so if you're after any others, throw me a board number (820-****) and I'll see if I can track it down. Probably better to PM as I'll receive an email notification, don't always get to check the forums for new posts consistently otherwise.
                    Last edited by iMic; 06-20-2016, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Thanks iMic for the BoardView and Schematic

Comment

Originally posted by iMic View Post
                        thanks man!

Comment

So responding to this thread since I am having the exact same issue you are having, it seems you have solved yours with waiting. The problem is my logic board is not posting. All the alchohol is evaporated and the Capacitor was replaced. I even replaced the EFi/ROM chip and still no avail. Reset the SMC and still no avail...the fans do turn on, sleep light turns on etc. The only thing is NO CHIME, and even the USB ports do not work, but yet there is 3.4 volts at all proper areas on the board for power. I am mind boggled when I looked at the schematic and just can't seem to pinpoint the issue. I have basic knowledge of this stuff but I can understand board view and the PDF files as well. So I can pin point the location of components if you can help me out here. Also side note, I believe my MacBook Is a 17" Early 2009. Let me know if you have any ideas!
                          sigpic
                          MEOWING IN THE IMPOSSIBLE UNIVERSE!

Comment

Working...
                          X