Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cleaning Motherboards - ATTN SMOKERS!!

It looks like an era ended!

A mouse in a computer or any electronics, is horrible news!

The American version of hantavirus seems to be getting more common and you must now bleach the system!

Even a mouse nest is dangerous, chiefly, because of the Sin-Nombre strain of hantavirus! As soon as you suspect mouse activity, bleach the entire proximity!

The noob mistake is to sweep or vacuum! You must wet it down with bleach and let it sit for at least 30 minutes!

It's also a noob mistake to use an air compressor!

I'm not kidding, you also need a mask when dealing with suspected materials.

I'm talking N-100 or P-100 filters.
    Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 08-29-2015, 12:16 PM.
    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

i dont know if your joking, but most viruses cant survive long outside of the body.
      so if your host is long gone i wouldnt worry about it.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
        i dont know if your joking, but most viruses cant survive long outside of the body.
        Sadly, he isn't joking...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hantavirus
        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

You're actually majorly lucky you're in Europe! Strains of hantaviruses that cause HCPS don't exist! You'll just get HFRS.

Sin-Nombre and the like wasn't found in Europe.

Getting the American version of hantavirus is like getting influenza in the late-1910s and early-1920s!
          Many die! Possibly dead people commonly hauled in ambulances!

H1N1 is nothing!
          Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 08-29-2015, 02:04 PM.
          ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

Comment

American hantavirus reminds me of this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:1...imsStLouis.jpg
            ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

that virus sounds like a lab mistake.
              i'm always suspicious of "new" diseases that only effect humans.

Comment

H5N2 also looks like nothing!

H7N7 also looks like nothing!
                Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 08-30-2015, 07:23 AM.
                ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

that virus sounds like a lab mistake.
                  i'm always suspicious of "new" diseases that only effect humans.
                  And why is that? Species specific diseases are nothing new or unusual...
                  sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

exactly - they are nothing new because they have been around forever.
                    except the "new " ones!!!!
                    those are the ones i dont trust.

Comment

I have a TV which was in a house fire. It powers on and works fine, but the screen is scratched to hell. I was going to part it out but when I opened it I found every board to be covered with soot. Would this cleaning method be OK on the power supply too? My concern would be water inside the transformer windings.
                      ------------signature starts here------------

Comment

if you bake it dry using a fan heater or hair dryer it should be o.k.

Comment

I'll give it a try then. I've had this thing for about a year already. Thought I was going to need an ultrasonic cleaner for it.

Comment

Sadly, American hantavirus isn't just some hooey being spewed.....

So I get suspicious real fast if I see anything that looks like a mouse turd!!!!!

I lately have been finding a lot of suspicious pellets, I have possible signs of mouse trespassing!

Not a good sign when I see black pellets.

But, there's good news, no suspicious pellets detected on any counter, kitchen shelf or cabinet.

And the home provider didn't freak out about any ripped food packages.
                            No one detected any rips in a potato bag or onion bag.

My allium seed package wasn't torn open.
                            Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 09-15-2015, 04:33 PM.
                            ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

if you want to check for a mouse, just put a few sunflower seeds down and see if they disappear.

mice and other small fluffy things go wild over sunflower seeds.

Comment

Biohazard computer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rG7T3ezHuQ
                                ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

I always get a bunch of mice in the fall. I honestly don't like killing anything, but they leave me no choice. I just keep a bunch of traps set. Peanut butter works best for bait.

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                                    Biohazard computer!
                                    I'll take mice over roaches anyday. This was my nightmare last week.
                                    Attached Files

Comment

OMG

Comment

Vaguely related - I just had an Acer desktop PC survive full immersion in silty river water for a period of 24+ hours in a recent flooding here. The machine had been disconnected and placed upright on a table, but still got immersed above the top of the cabinet. I retrieved it immediately after the water receded to ankle depth, and cleaned off all the exterior deposited mud and sludge within 48 hours of immersion, followed by drying in open sunlight for about 36 hours, followed by indoor drying for a full 3 weeks.

I opened it for the first time about 2 days ago, and it wasn't too bad inside. A bit of dry silt was present on all upward facing surfaces, and I left it alone. Motherboard showed some light corrosion at the terminals of the CR2032 CMOS battery holder. I cleaned and replaced the battery - the submerged battery showed a terminal voltage of 1.72 volts. The fans were a bit sticky, but released quickly when gently rotated by hand. I removed the DDR2 DIMM, cleaned the contacts with IPA and reseated it. I left everything else alone.

I powered it in on, in the hope of getting to the POST screen, but I was certain that the submerged HDD would not even spin up. To my surprise, the only error was the CMOS date/time reset, and after the date and time were set, the machine booted straight into Win7 and all data on the HDD is intact. This is a conventional rotating platter 320GB SATA HDD, not an SSD. It appears that all gaskets worked well and kept the water out, and the small hydrophobic membrane seal that allows air recirculation within the head/platter chamber also worked well and kept the water out.

Other contributing factors are that it had been powered down and disconnected completely before immersion; it was immersed only to about 1 foot above the top of the cabinet (thus keeping the hydrostatic pressure fairly low); the cabinet was upright allowing the sediment to settle harmlessly mainly at the bottom of the cabinet; and the extended dry-out period of 3 weeks that I gave it before powering it on.

In short, PCs from the last decade or so are far more durable that they're given credit for. For reference, the processor is a Core 2 Duo E5700 (Wolfdale-2M), the board is an Acer G31T-M5 v1.0, and the HDD seems to be a Seagate. Capacitors are mostly Sanyo and Rubycon, with a sprinkling of small Teapos at the audio and I/O locations. No electrolytic has bulged in about 4.5 years of normal household use.

The LCD monitor that came with it is also electrically functional, but the screen/polarizer has purple internal splotches all over due to the ingress of water. Maybe the splotches will diminish over time as the water evaporates - we'll see. The DVD-R/W drive is likely to be dead, but I haven't checked it yet - it's a relatively minor expense.

Comment

wow amazing the amount of crap that came off that - nice job!

Comment

Working...
                                          X