Samsung Syncmaster 225BW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Samsung Syncmaster 225BW

I suspect the bad caps have corrupted the eeprom, you would need to find a way to enter the service menu and reset it.
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Thanks for your reply.
      Don't know how to enter the service menu without the menu and brightnes buttons working. I tought the procedure is setting contrast and brightnes to 0 and pushing the power button 5 secs.

Comment

Has anyone else experienced the same problem as mine? When it cools sufficiently, I turn on the monitor and it starts out not as bright as normal. It flickers a little bit and gets somewhat brighter, but it cuts off before it get's back to the normal brightness and the screen appears black (though it is working as can be seen with a front light) and the blue light stays on solid. Then, cycling the power off and on will just allow the screen to be displayed at full brightness for a split second before it goes dark and the blue power light stays on. Eventually, after cycling LOT of times, it will eventually come on normally and stay on. I ordered new caps as a few were bulging, but I just want to make sure this sounds like a caps problem and not something else. The fact that it will eventually come on and work fine has me hoping that it is just a caps problem. Thank you all for this awesome informative thread.

Comment

I've experienced similar problems on Samsung 40" TVs - the EEPROM gets corrupted and causes flickering brightness settings, colours messed up, etc.
          Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
          For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Last edited by bblancobrnx; 10-10-2012, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Well tom66 I did a search in the thread on eeprom and found this:

1. Press "down arrow" key.
              2. Hold down the "enter" key for 10 seconds.
              3. Turn off and back on. The redness disappears.

Point 1 and 2 did the trick.
              Everything seems to be alright now. Strange readings in the service menu though. Will look in to it further tomorrow.
              You guys are awsome. THNX!!!

Comment

Glad you fixed it. I guess that is the reset mode, at least Samsung included it... On the 40" Samsungs you have to wire a jumper across the EEPROM chip!

Comment

Follow up.

When I checked the readings in the service menu last evening powered up and one back light showed in the miljons of houres. I then did set everything to zero but the panel change went to 2 .
                  This morning when I powered up everything the screen showed green only so I repeated the steps as mentioned in my last post but added step 3. Screen went back to normal and everything in both menus was reset exept for the panel change.
                  The monitor however doesn't start up right away after a power down. So to get into the boot menu I have to restart without a power down. Anyway I'm happy with the results so far.

Another thing I noticed checking other pictures of the power board in this thread is that they are all very clean.
                  Mine shows that typical dirt near the transformer as you see in crt's.
                  Don't know what that means.
                  The picture is after replacing the 0.47 mu cap.I forgot to clean that up after reassembling. Don't know if that matters.

I think the best video how to disassemble the monitor is :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLrrcKdJLyw

To detache the plug from the video board as shown you have to push the clip upwards while pulling. Also it makes desoldering the caps easyer when you first ad some 60/40 lead solder to the joints.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Well, My caps came in today. Wow do these panasonic caps look a hell of a lot better than the CrapXCon Caps. I am going to install them beginning of next week and I will post the results here. Thank you all for the help!

Comment

Ok, I am getting ready to do this, but one question. Do I need a specific kind of solder? There is one that has a high sliver content. Is that the one I want? Thank you for any help you can give me on this!

EDIT: Also, I have an old WEN model 450 soldering gun (450 Watt). Will this be all right for my purposes replacing these caps? Thank you.
                      Last edited by bblancobrnx; 10-16-2012, 07:45 AM.

Comment

I adviced to ad a little 60/40 lead solder to the solder points before desoldering the old caps that way it's easier to romove them because the lead free solder is hard to work with due to a higher melting point. Same for soldering in the new ones.

Since you use a high wattage soldering gun I gues you won't need to do that. Be carefull though with that gun you wil easely heat things to much up. You better use a 30 à 60 w soldering iron.

Comment

I was considering buying a new cordless soldering iron they have for like $30 at home depot. I think they said it goes up to 950 degrees. I am nervous with the gun because it is high watt and I don't have a whole lot of experience with it. Maybye i would be better off buying a new iron. The last thing I want to do is melt the board. I say some solder that was 96%/4%. Is that the solder I want?

Comment

Soldering should be at least 40Watts, I myself use 60 Watts Weller. Spend the money and buy the good soldering iron. 700 Degree is good for lead soldr, 800 if yiu are goijg to do lead free stuff which I will not use.
                            Never stop learning
                            Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                            http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

OK, the stuff with lead is suitable for use with a circuit board? I believe the brand was weller that they had at home depot, though I am not sure if they said how many WATTS, they just said it goes to 950 degrees. What is the % of the solder i want to use on this circuit board? I don't have it, so i might as well buy the best stuff

Comment

Just wanted to let everyone here know. YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME! I did this procedure with no soldering experience and the monitor is working perfectly once again. Thank you to everyone who contributed to this thread.

Comment

Strange, I just recapped this monitor. It would have to be on for about 6 hours for it to shut off. It just had one bad CapXon in it, 470uF 25V. It was strange because it was the farthest away from all the heat, and yet all the ones next to the output rectifier and the ones only millimeters away from the transformer were just fine. 8/9 CapXon, 1 Samwha

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
                                    Strange, I just recapped this monitor. It would have to be on for about 6 hours for it to shut off. It just had one bad CapXon in it, 470uF 25V. It was strange because it was the farthest away from all the heat, and yet all the ones next to the output rectifier and the ones only millimeters away from the transformer were just fine. 8/9 CapXon, 1 Samwha
                                    Just goes to show you that you can't make any assumptions with poor quality caps. If you're going to replace them, then do a complete job and replace them all (except for the large main cap, which rarely fails). Saves a lot of time and guesswork and gives you a good starting point if replacing the caps doesn't solve the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by jetadm123 View Post
                                      Just goes to show you that you can't make any assumptions with poor quality caps. If you're going to replace them, then do a complete job and replace them all (except for the large main cap, which rarely fails). Saves a lot of time and guesswork and gives you a good starting point if replacing the caps doesn't solve the problem.
                                      Yep, of course I replaced them all. I don't trust those brands

Comment

Posted in error to wrong thread.
                                        Attached Files
                                        Last edited by roseorufa; 11-11-2012, 12:51 PM. Reason: Posted in error

Comment

Roseofura -is yours a 225BW - if it is please edit your post.
                                          If it is not Please start a new thread or find a thread for the 205BW
                                          and edit all this one out and put " posted in error"
                                          Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
                                          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Working...
                                          X