ASRock k7s41gx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ASRock k7s41gx

I have just recieved this board as a possible replacement for a blown board in my home server, but it has loads of bloated caps

I am going to try replacing them all but wondered if anyone could suggest some suitiable replacements? The spec are as follows.....

20mm high
    About 15mm diameter
    105c
    1000uf
    6.3v

There are 15 of them on the board and they are all bloated, can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Re: ASRock k7s41gx

Sounds rather large for those values. Double check please. 1000uF rarely go larger than 10mm in diameter. Whose make are they?

Off the top, I'd go with these:
    https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...products_id=47

Please indicate where these are located. A picture is worth a 1000 words...

Q

Comment

Maybe 15mm was a bit out, I was trying to measure the diameter with a tape measure. On a second look maybe 10mm is more accurate

I have attached a couple of pics..........
      Attached Files
      Last edited by fusionmax; 10-09-2010, 05:35 AM.

Comment

Looks like a scene from Alien....

Roughly:
        1/4" = 6.3mm
        5/16" = 8mm
        25/64" = 10mm (or 1/2 way between 3/8" and 7/16")

Those look like 8 mm, and the ones around the CPU are 10mm. While your their, might as well do those other 7 too. Couple of dollars well spent. Those should all be available at the site store.

Post back any questions.

Q

Comment

To be SURE about appropriate replacements you need to look up the ESR and Ripple for the old caps.

To look that up you need:
          - Manufacturer and series.
          - Diameter and length.
          - uF and volts [very helpful but not required]

Those look like maybe Taicon HD series. - Are they?

Mann-Made Global Warming.
          - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
          -
          You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
          -

Comment

Looks like you may also have Chemicon KZG series.
            [Would be brown with white lettering saying KZG. I can't see the writing in photo.]
            Those have a habit of failing with no bloating and should be replaced too.

-
            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
            -
            You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
            -

Comment

Those are indeed Taicon HD series. I've seen enough of them to recognize them by the photos. Judging by the size in relation to the PCI slot, they look like 8x11.5 mm. I've also seem loads of the same size/value capacitors on various AsRock boards.

I've never found a Taicon datasheet for them, but according to Taicon's website, they are equivalent to Nichicon HD.

Now...the Nichicon HD datasheet doesn't have 8x11.5 as a size for 6.3V/1000uF, but ESR and ripple are related only to the size so here's what you need to look for:

0.072 ohms, 760 mA...

For these, I usually just replace with Rubycon MBZ as I have lots of them, and they're a slight upgrade in esr and ripple capability.

Comment

Since the MBZ 6.3v/1000uF 8x12mm shows as Discontinued in the Badcaps store, Topcat recommends these:

https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...products_id=46

Rubycon MCZ 10v/1000uF 8x14mm

The change in voltage will not have any effect.

Report the markings or take some pics (after you dust them off) of the other 7 caps. Might as well make it a complete order.

Also, check your power supply for the same cap problems. Let us know what brand, model number, and what wattage its claims to be.

Q

Comment

HD is equivalent to: Chemicon KZE, Rubycon ZL, Sanyo [now Suncon] WX

Given the number of caps and that it's a DDR board using HD seems like under-kill to me.
                  I would at least use FM if not MBZ or comparable. [FJ, FL, WG, HM]

Last edited by PCBONEZ; 10-09-2010, 07:07 PM.

-

- Dr Seuss
                  -
                  -

Comment

Working...
                  X