Biostar Geforce 6100-M9 weird problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Biostar Geforce 6100-M9 weird problem

Motherboard makes a noise like a camera flash charging (although erratically). Once the sound goes away. The fans spin up (without pressing the power button) but nothing else works (no beeps, no lights). I found 3 of the 5 3300uf 6.3v caps near the CPU are swollen. Replaced all 5 of them.

Motherboard still does the exact same thing.

Replacing the power supply gets the same results.
    "...off the record, unnamed government sources
    alluded to unsubstantiated innuendos about
    alleged indiscretions and insinuated that they
    are rumored not to be without basis for further
    speculation..."

Re: Biostar Geforce 6100-M9 weird problem

You have the classic nVidia chipset failure. Reflow it by your favorite method. Infrared (best), hot air gun (cheap) or oven (ghetto). I've fixed a few boards with the oven method (but have switched to the hot air gun since), so if you want me to detail the procedure i will, but i think i already posted it here just a little while ago, try searching for my posts.
    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
    A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
      You have the classic nVidia chipset failure. Reflow it by your favorite method. Infrared (best), hot air gun (cheap) or oven (ghetto). I've fixed a few boards with the oven method (but have switched to the hot air gun since), so if you want me to detail the procedure i will, but i think i already posted it here just a little while ago, try searching for my posts.
      Pulled up all 58 of your posts. Did not find the procedure. Please post it again.
      "...off the record, unnamed government sources
      alluded to unsubstantiated innuendos about
      alleged indiscretions and insinuated that they
      are rumored not to be without basis for further
      speculation..."

Comment

Mmm, that's strange. Anyway, here goes.

Take board out, remove everything from it including chipset heatsink and ALL electrolytics. That is, if you don't fancy capacitor popcorn. On laptop mobos you can get away without removing any caps, coz they're all solid there, but on desktop boards and video cards you have to. If you don't... you'll be replacing them afterwards anyway.

Take cooking tray out of oven. Cover board, except chipset, in aluminum foil. Make 4 foil balls of the same size, large enough so that the bottom of the board is at least 1cm away from the tray. Put foil balls on cooking tray. Seat the board on the foil balls, chipset side up.

Preheat oven to 210C. Use multimeter temperature probe (they're good up to 400C don't worry), or infrared thermometer if you have one. Oven thermostats tend to be unreliable so monitor the temp if you don't want the plastic on SATA and IDE ports melting... I had that happen once.

Put tray in oven. Close oven. Wait 7 minutes while monitoring temperature. After 7 minutes, turn off oven and open door. Let the board cool down to room temp, will take 30 minutes to an hour depending on room temp. Don't be tempted to pull the tray out so that it cools down faster, at this point the components are held by surface tension only, any bump WILL send parts flying. Just let it cool down on its own. Put all caps back in and boot 'er up. 90% chance of working.

That's all. 210C, 7 minutes has always done it for me. 3 mobos, a couple video cards, and even a N73 cellphone board.
        Last edited by Th3_uN1Qu3; 09-03-2010, 08:16 AM.
        Originally posted by PeteS in CA
        Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
        A working TV? How boring!

Comment

hello I have the same problem but my motherboard dont work anymore in this image you woul see what i have made to make it work but its still dead pleas help me,
          http://img3.*************/i/june2010261.jpg/
          some parts of the motherboard get warm maybe it would give a clue of what is wrong but i have no idea.. i will thanks a lot bye

Comment

Working...
          X