"Achme" Power Supply from Shuttle SK41G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Achme" Power Supply from Shuttle SK41G

After a recent post on slashdot about bad caps, I found my way here and started reading through everything I found. I have a VP-6 that could be at risk, but it seems okay. However, in more reading, it seems many Shuttles have problems too.

I have an SK41G Shuttle XPC, and I figured it might be a good idea to take a look at it. The board looked fine, but the way the light I was using to check the caps hit the power supply grills, I noticed in the corner of my eye, a cap that didn't look quite right. On closer look, it had yellow stuff coming out of the top. I looked around a bit more and found another with the same condition. I haven't taken the PS apart yet, but I probably should.

I guess I should recap it or replace it eh? Something told me to worry about this PS from day one because even when the unit is off it gets very hot.

I'll try and get some pictures.

Re: "Achme" Power Supply from Shuttle SK41G

I could only get a picture of one of them...
    Attached Files

Comment

looks bad. would be a good idea to recap it indeed. when you dissasemble it can we see some more pics.
      capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

I've completed the "autopsy," and there were a total of 6 puffy caps, but only 2 were leaking electrolyte. The caps affected were black and silver branded capXon.

I am not going to recap simply because its a tiny power supply; everything is really close together. I'm not skilled enough to work with electronics that have such close proximity. It looks like I'd have to remove a lot of stuff to get to the capacitors anyway. There are capacitors in the middle of the bundle of output wires.

At some point I will replace the unit. For now I ghetto rigged a desktop PSU to the shuttle.

Comment

How long did it take for those CapXons to fail... I don't think CapXon is a known trouble maker... Maybe a heat issue.

Comment

Working...
          X