• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Xbox One Blown Mosfet

is this a common problem btw?

Comment

For the xbox one ? No idea, I have only seen it mentioned on the greater Web in the youtube video linked to by vince.

By the way in that video the guy mentions a resistor is missing from the board and mine is missing as well in the same location. Odd.
      Last edited by mmartell; 10-14-2016, 02:37 AM.

Comment

I saw one last week on eBay with a "no power" problem. Could have been the same issue, so who knows.
        I'll take bad MOSFETs any day over doing GPU/RAM like on the Xbox 360 - those things had way too many problems. At least they were easy to take apart, and test as is "barebones". PS3 was the worst, IMO.

Comment

I took off a shit ton of parts including all the components in the phase circuit of the blown mosfet and the main controller and still registers short. Nothing to lose now but to remove more parts. I know this isn't the proper way to do this but truth is I was hoping to get lucky as I have a complete parts board which doesn't appear to have suffered the same affliction.

Where is the board-specific info housed anyway or is that a quick dead-end ?

Comment

Originally posted by mmartell View Post
            I took off a shit ton of parts including all the components in the phase circuit of the blown mosfet and the main controller and still registers short.
            Interesting.
            So none of the "upper" MOSFETs between 12V rail and chip outputs were blown? Perhaps a ceramic cap between 12V and ground is blown then? Or some controller IC that is powered from the 12V rail.

Originally posted by mmartell View Post
            Where is the board-specific info housed anyway or is that a quick dead-end ?
            I would save that as I last resort. Who knows what else is written on that chip that may be specific to the board it's in now. And if it's coupled to the CPU/GPU with a special code, forget it, because then you will also need to move that to the new Xbox board. Of course, I am just saying *IF*.
            I'll be upfront that I know nothing about the Xbox One. I've worked on a ton of Xbox 360s, but not a One. That said, I imagine many parts of the design would be re-used, as I've seen that with many other board manufacturers.
            Last edited by Per Hansson; 10-19-2016, 01:31 AM. Reason: fixed quote

Comment

I haven't tested any of the removed parts I just checked continuously for a short condition at the port, which remains. Seems a somewhat common fault on these for the southbridge to fail by cracked solder joints causing the symptom of "turns on then off". I wonder if repeated attempts at powering up somehow overdrive the phase circuit blowing up mosfets eventually.

Comment

that wouldnt explain your short.
                if the cpu or other large bga chips have ceramic caps on top, meter across the caps for a short.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                  if the cpu or other large bga chips have ceramic caps on top, meter across the caps for a short.
                  That wouldn't help either for two reasons:

1) The caps on top of the large BGA chips are typically across the BGA chip's Vcc/Vdd, or other low voltage supply lines for the chip. Almost guaranteed that there's not a single pin on any of those large BGA chips that connects to the 12V rail directly. So that means, even if one of those caps were shorted, that wouldn't explain the short-circuit on the 12V rail of the Xbox.

2) high-power chips tend to have very low resistance (no uncommon to see 10 Ohms or less). So when you measure those ceramic caps on the BGA chips, you will most certainly get a very low resistance and think they are shorted when they aren't. This is one mistake I see very often when rookies troubleshooting motherboards. So don't fall for that one!

Comment

So I should be looking for a fault common to the 12v and low voltage rails... unless of course the faults are unrelated but that's probably less likely.

Will have another look soon.

Comment

Working...
                    X