Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Suggested Caps for Xbox360

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
    Besides, from what I understand, they are on the lower quality end of the polymer caps.
    No they aren't.

In fact they are used on Intel Dual Quad Xeon server boards.
    Last edited by PCBONEZ; 09-12-2010, 11:53 PM.
    Mann-Made Global Warming.
    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
    -
    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
    -

Comment

Yes I've seen them on Asus video cards, Intel motherboards... The Sanyos I got off old VRM modules from Asus A7V motherboards that were never used. I've also seen them in HP DL380 servers (You know the turquoise/bluish caps with the no vent tops).
      "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Yeah I know what OSCON is.

My point is the Fujitsu are not "on the lower quality end" of the polymer caps.

The Fujitsu 'Bumble Bees' are ESR .005-.007.
        Most of the SPEC come in at ESR .007-.011.

Some series of OSCON are on the low end.
        You can beat SEP series OSCON's ESR with a Lytic.

OSCON is famous because they were the first mass produced Solid Polymer and the Patent rights let them be the soul producer for years.

Being first doesn't make them better parts, it just makes them better known.

That said, the first generation of Bumble Bees did have minor [occasional] sealing issues that made them bloat slightly from moisture leakage -IN-.
        But:
        That only affects those made before about 2002.
        Even when they did bloat they usually didn't actually fail.
        The problem has been fixed for ages [in computer years]..

-
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
        -
        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
        -

Comment

Interesting. I always thought the bumblebee caps to be inferior. I think I read here that Fujitsu no longer produces them. Is this the case?
          "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

Fujitsu sold off their polymer business to Nichicon.

www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?p=62943

The Bumblebee's I purchased from KC read >10mΩ [.00] on Blue ESR meter.
            veritas odium parit

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
              Yea but when I found this, the box showed signs that it had been opened before.
              every used xbox360 i'v ever seen has been opened, it's because 95% of them have had the dvd re-flashed.

Comment

The DVD was most certainly not reflashed, because I reflashed it myself, and it was original ROM. I had to reflow my Nforce motherboard just to do this because you can't do the Toshiba drives with an Intel SATA chipset.

Comment

Originally posted by Toasty View Post
                  Fujitsu sold off their polymer business to Nichicon.

www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?p=62943

The Bumblebee's I purchased from KC read >10mΩ [.00] on Blue ESR meter.
                  Saying [Fujitsu] FPCAP is like saying OSCON. [More than one series.]
                  I didn't know any of their series were as low end as SEPC.

At first there was just one Series of 'Bumble Bee' called RE.
                  Never found a data sheet for these because it was a dead series before I got into the caps thing. If memory serves [and it might not, been a while] those I've measured that weren't bloated came in at <.01 ohms. [Bob Parker meter bouncing between .00 and .01.]

In ~2002? they went lead free, dumped the original series, fixed the seal problems and came out with RE-01, RE-S1, and SE-01.
                  [SE-01 was advertised for PSU use. I've never seen one.]

In Feb 2004 RE-01 & RE-S1 were discontinued and then SE-01 in Aug.
                  Those were replaced with RE-0L/SL, RE-L1/V1, RE-0U/SU.

All of those were [supposedly] discontinued in Feb 2006 and replaced with:
                  RE-L8, RE-LS, RE-NS, RE-NU, RE-R5, RE-R7, RE-S8.
                  These were all with the 'normal' polymer can w/no vent and red ink.
                  I said supposedly because apparently they kept making some in the bumble bee cans after that notice. [According to kc8 anyway. I haven't seen any that new.] If they were made then I'm not sure if the bumble bees after Feb 06 are the older series or the new series in the older style cans.

THEN they sold the whole mess to Nichicon who kept at least some of the Series names the same.

Not counting the pre-2002 caps [the first series] of the 'Bumble Bees' -I think- the last digit of what looks like the date code is a code for the series but I don't have a key for the codes - and that's just a guess.
                  [The year is the first digit. - That's consistent with dates on the other brands of caps on the same boards.]

-

- Dr Seuss
                  -
                  -

Comment

I said supposedly because apparently they kept making some in the bumble bee cans after that notice. [According to kc8 anyway. I haven't seen any that new.] If they were made then I'm not sure if the bumble bees after Feb 06 are the older series or the new series in the older style cans.
                    I can confirm this. My XBOX was manufactured in mid-late '06 I think and it's got the bumblebees. Unless they used old stock.

Comment

The dates I gave were the dates of the discontinuation notices.
                      That's to give manufacturers planning to order a heads up.
                      Stopping actual production is probably 6 months to a year after that.

I have 3 Intel S5000PSL boards made sometime in '06 that have the bumble bees.
                      The later built boards of the same model have either the red marked FPCAP's or Chemicon polymers.
                      I don't have any of the later made boards around any more to look at though. - Not sure when they were made.
                      Last edited by PCBONEZ; 09-13-2010, 09:10 PM.

-

- Dr Seuss
                      -
                      -

Comment

My bad, can't keep the symbols straight today. Left is less than...

WRONG!:
                        "The Bumblebee's I purchased from KC read >10mΩ [.00] on Blue ESR meter."

Should be:
                        "The Bumblebee's I purchased from KC read <10mΩ [.00] on Blue ESR meter." LESS THAN 10mΩ

Toast
                        ~needs sleep~
                        veritas odium parit

Comment

Mmm, just so I don't feel so left out, when you say "Bumble Bees"
                          You do mean the yellow Fujitsu solid polymer caps with a vent that are yellow?
                          (Implying they look like a bee if I'm deciphering this correct?)

Please be gentle on the non native English speaking Moose
                          "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Yes, correct.

Now....

Here moosey, moosey, moosey..... [+]

IMPORTED meat!!!

veritas odium parit

Comment

when you say bumblebee cap i think of these.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Nah, those are clearly wasps... LOL

-

- Dr Seuss
                                -
                                -

Comment

Working...
                                X