Oven broiler stuck on!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oven broiler stuck on!!!!

Was getting ready to cook dinner and turned the oven on and the display said clean except the door didn't lock and only the broiler element came on. Nothing would turn it off so I hit the breaker. After a few minutes turned it back on and the same so I waited a few hours to try again. This time all looked normal so I hit the bake button and looked normal so shut it off. Well again the broiler came on but the display showed the oven was turned off.

Oven is a 2000ish whirlpool super capacity 465 mod: GR399LXGQ2

Tested temp sensor and it was 1100 so should be good.
    Tested for a short in the broiler element and it was good.

I do see some dry joints on the control board which I assume is why the lock didn't work. They are on wires that do all run over to the limit switch and drive deal for the door lock.

The broil contact looks rough but was open.

I'm not sure how any of this would kick the broiler on element on. Any tips?

Caps are
    Nichicon PR(M) 1000uf 50v brown
    Nichicon KL(k) 10uf 16v orange
    Surge ??? 4.7uf 50v blue
    Surge ??? 33uf 16v blue

Has schematics on the back.
    Attached Files

Re: Oven broiler stuck on!!!!

I would start by resoldering those bad solder connections, was the broiler element actually on or was it just the display saying that?
    That P3 plug does connect to the oven temp sensor
    Last edited by R_J; 12-02-2017, 05:33 PM.

Comment

Display showed it was off the second time and first time said clean. It was definitely on both times.

Resoldered and found another dry joint but washed the board so waiting on it to dry to test.

Comment

After soldering it came on and said cln again. Then gave a EO F2 which should mean shorted key or key tail unplugged.

I did wash it but let it dry a couple days by the heater vent. Also reseated the ribbon.

On the plus side the broiler didn't come on.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by junktv; 12-04-2017, 06:24 PM.

Comment

what is a broiler ? couldn't see it in manual .

Comment

Originally posted by petehall347 View Post
            what is a broiler ?
            A setting on an over that turns on the top element/burner (only) at a very high temperature (usually 500F/260C+).

Comment

Well I may be back in business. Reseated the ribbon but instead of pushing it all the way in I pulled it back a smidgen and all looks good although I still get a EO F2 if I hold the off/cancel button.

I also notice a tick and a constant buzz when I open the door now. No power should be being used since the bulb is burnt. On the plus side the broiler isn't on.

Comment

Originally posted by junktv View Post
                Caps are
                Nichicon PR(M) 1000uf 50v brown
                While this may not be your problem, I suggest you replace all Nichicon PR caps, as they are known to leak electrolyte from the bottom of their bungs without bulging at all. Once the leakage gets bad enough, it will corrode and/or even destroy traces on the board. So definitely get all Nichicon PR caps replaced.

As for Nichicon KL, I don't know if those have any known problems or not, but you might replace them as well if you do replace the Nichicon PR.
                My personal recommendation would be to go with Panasonic FC. I think those recently got certified for automotive use, so probably your best bet for a hot oven/stove controller board.

Comment

Dry joints were the issue I guess. It's working fine now.

Good to know though I'll add them to the list for next digikey order.

Comment

white connector P3 looks like the soldering may be cracking

Comment

The broiler element draws high and constant current. It is likely that the broiler relay needs to be replaced. I imagine that the relay contacts welded themselves together and it will happen again soon. The relays are common and inexpensive. Replace both of them together.
                      Is it plugged in?

Comment

Originally posted by Longbow View Post
                        The broiler element draws high and constant current. It is likely that the broiler relay needs to be replaced. I imagine that the relay contacts welded themselves together and it will happen again soon. The relays are common and inexpensive. Replace both of them together.
                        I concur with longbow. I repair more kitchen equipment than I'd like to, and relay/contactor failure is fairly common in ovens. I'd replace all the caps too while I was at it just because I had the board out.

Comment

It's worked for a couple months so I'd say it was the dry joints. Not really sure how that caused it but it seems to have been the issue.

Btw I think the noise was because the back cover was off and it was away from the wall.
                          Last edited by junktv; 02-13-2018, 03:16 AM.

Comment

Well it's done it again. This time I pulled the back and looked at the contacts. The bottom K2 contact was stuck shut so you 2 were right. Is there anything I can do to that to keep it from sticking?

If I remember correctly I didn't see any part numbers on this.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by junktv; 07-30-2018, 01:32 PM.

Comment

put an arc supressor across the contacts.
                              they look like a film capacitor, but they have a series resistor in them to limit the current.

i used to use them in hifi gear to stop them making a big click through the amplifier.

Comment

Or maybe upgrade the relay to a SSR (Solid State Relay) of appropriate current rating. Probably going to be an expensive "upgrade", though. If not, then maybe just bigger relay / contactor.

I still wonder if those PR caps are somehow making the relay switch intermittently and thus the reason behind the relay going bad so often.

Comment

Not sure but it does arc pretty good when you turn the oven off and on. I don't have a file small enough to fit in there so made a couple passes with fine wet/dry sandpaper.
                                  Last edited by junktv; 07-30-2018, 03:22 PM.

Comment

will keep sticking as coating will be gone .. new contacts is the only way in my opinion . a capacitor across the contacts should reduce arcing but not too sure if the capacitors are a good idea if those relays are for AC as current will likely pass through them when contacts are open ..
                                    Last edited by petehall347; 07-30-2018, 03:28 PM.

Comment

waste of time,
                                      you need a relay with bigger contact gaps to break the arc faster or you need to supress it.

Comment

I was mistaken it is labeled. It's a T90N1D42-24 and newark and mouser has them.

What size suppressor?
                                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                        X