Planar PL1700-BK - backlights go out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Planar PL1700-BK - backlights go out

Please inspect everything closely, just because a ccfl dose not show dark edges dose not mean that it is not causing problems,
    Look at the return wires where they attach to the bulb very closely for any indication of discoloration, A gentle tug is helpful to find poor soldering,
    I really like ccflwarehouse.com
    They welcome phone orders and there tech support is very knowledge,
    They can look up your panel number and get you exactly what you need.
    I would order some silicone end caps, along with a small amount of kapton tape
    I am unsure on what to tell you on how many to order it looks like they have a 4 lamp kit fof $30.00 plus about $5.00 shipping, that sounds like a good price to me.
    Al
    Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

Originally posted by alexanna View Post
      Please inspect everything closely, just because a ccfl dose not show dark edges dose not mean that it is not causing problems,
      Look at the return wires where they attach to the bulb very closely for any indication of discoloration, A gentle tug is helpful to find poor soldering,
      Post #109 in this thread shows what alexanna is talking about

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...?t=8589&page=6

Funny, 3 bad ccfls cases in the last 24 hours.
      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by alexanna View Post
        I am unsure on what to tell you on how many to order it looks like they have a 4 lamp kit fof $30.00 plus about $5.00 shipping, that sounds like a good price to me.
        Al
        If you decide to just replace the one ccfl, check the overstock stuff for possible deal/match at

http://ccflwarehouse.com/blandovsp.html

http://ccfldirect.com/blowoutlamps.html
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
          If you decide to just replace the one ccfl, check the overstock stuff for possible deal/match at

http://ccflwarehouse.com/blandovsp.html

http://ccfldirect.com/blowoutlamps.html
          Your 2 links didn't have the size I needed. I ordered 2 from ccflwarehouse yesterday, one to replace the burnt one and the other as a spare or to replace the other one that is next to it, or if I screw up replacing the first one.

Thanks for your and PlainBill's and alexanna help. Definitly a learning experince that will be useful. Will post back when I get the ccfl's.

Comment

Finally got the ccfl's and got a chance to relpace the bad one. Good thing I bought 2 cause the first one I installed worked for about an hour then started flickering so I took apart the panel again and found that the end of the ccfl I replaced had broken where the wire was soldered(must have happened when I put the silicon end cap on), replaced it again and it's working great now.

Thanks to retiredcaps, alexanna, PlainBill for the help.

Comment

This is my first post on Badcaps forums. I work for an industrial company we recently had a plague of monitors dying. They were about to hand them off to an E-waste company for free, and I offered to take a couple home and see if they just needed some caps replaced (I replaced caps on several motherboards before with a perfect record).

The (9) Viewsonic VA902s have the same symptoms so I went ahead and ordered enough to fix 10 of them after I got the first one opened and counted up the blown caps. There were a couple other models (1) Planar PL1910 [that had 5 bad caps - also on order] and (1) Planar PL1700. After opening the PL1700 I noted that none of the caps looked damaged (looks just like De3rcr's picture in post #48 in this thread). I reassembled it, and plugged it into my computer and turned it on. The screen came on for about two seconds, but instead of being white the entire screen had a very pink hue. After it went dark, I could still see the text in very bright light (i.e. no backlight at all). What could this possibly have stemmed from? Bad CCFL? Inverter? Caps?

If it's an easy fix/diagnosis I might do it. If it's going to be time-consuming or difficult, I'd sooner just let that one go to the e-wasters (as I'm doing this on my own time). Just trying to save our company a little money, and getting a couple monitors out of the deal (per our IT manager).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by KyleSTL View Post
                This is my first post on Badcaps forums. I work for an industrial company we recently had a plague of monitors dying. They were about to hand them off to an E-waste company for free, and I offered to take a couple home and see if they just needed some caps replaced (I replaced caps on several motherboards before with a perfect record).

The (9) Viewsonic VA902s have the same symptoms so I went ahead and ordered enough to fix 10 of them after I got the first one opened and counted up the blown caps. There were a couple other models (1) Planar PL1910 [that had 5 bad caps - also on order] and (1) Planar PL1700. After opening the PL1700 I noted that none of the caps looked damaged (looks just like De3rcr's picture in post #48 in this thread). I reassembled it, and plugged it into my computer and turned it on. The screen came on for about two seconds, but instead of being white the entire screen had a very pink hue. After it went dark, I could still see the text in very bright light (i.e. no backlight at all). What could this possibly have stemmed from? Bad CCFL? Inverter? Caps?

If it's an easy fix/diagnosis I might do it. If it's going to be time-consuming or difficult, I'd sooner just let that one go to the e-wasters (as I'm doing this on my own time). Just trying to save our company a little money, and getting a couple monitors out of the deal (per our IT manager).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
                Sounds like the CCFL's are failing (pink hue), which in turn are drawing too much current and tripping the protection circuit. To verify if it's the CCFL's: if you still have one of the other monitors lying around, place it next to the Planar and try connecting Planar power supply CCFL outputs to the CCFL's of the good monitor. If it works correctly, then you have verified it's the CCFL's.
                Last edited by jetadm123; 08-29-2011, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Very nice, I'll give that a try. Thanks for your help. I'll post how it goes.

If it is the CCFL's, how much do they usually go for, and how difficult (or risky) are they to replace? Any good websites to buy CCFLs?

EDIT: Nevermind, saw the links posted earlier in the thread.

Comment

Working...
                  X