Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Magnavox 19md357b REPAIRED!!!

Originally posted by Deadbit View Post
    Well...I decided to just replace all the capxon caps. Gotta wait for my 330's to arrive...I was out of stock on them. There's one other problem I forgot to mention. When trying to turn off the tv, it goes off for about 2 or 3 seconds and then turns itself back on. Any way to remedy this (without using my sledge hammer, lol)?
    Jammed power button? You say some of the other buttons don't work right either? Maybe the whole switch-board has some issues... you haven't got some buttons stuck down physically, from getting jammed under the casing somehow? (Seen that before)
    "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
    -David VanHorn

Comment

Hi,
      Just replaced the whole power supply baord and my 19MD357B/37B is still doing the as discribed in the begining posts. Shutting offand on, making high pitched noise,jiggling screen, until it warms up in 10 to 15 min then fine. Need help- Plaese

Comment

Is the replacement PSU brand new? If not, it could have the same problems as the old one.

Though it could well be something else...
        "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
        -David VanHorn

Comment

If you read my post and saw the pictures, the caps that were replaced weren't on the power board but the processor/tuner board. Please take a look back and review those posts.
          The strong-minded rise to the challenge of their goals,the weak-minded BECOME HATERS

Comment

My bad - I'll take TV back apart and look at the right board (green) this time.
            Thanks for the reply. I'll let you know what I find. again TY

Comment

Got the TV apart last Monday and just as you said bad caps on the processor/ tuner board. Ordered all the caps, on Monday, on the list and am waiting for snail mail to get them to me. I'll update if the US postal service ever get's off their buttts, it will only be a week on Monday!

Comment

Dgteck: You rock man!!!!!! got the caps today, from badcaps, and replaced the eleven on your list and like magic the almost trashed TV has come back from the dead just in time for Halloween. How sweet is that!!!! Thanks for your help!

Comment

Had same prob with my Magnavox. Replaced the caps listed at the top of this thread, and so far so good (have yet to plug coax in). No horrendous screeching sound or other wig-out on DVD playback.

My first circuit board soldering attempt. Feeling pretty good about it right now! Thanks a ton for the info on this thread!

Now if I can get my clicker to working again... We gave it to our toddler to play with so he wouldn't put our working TVs clicker in his mouth. Prob have to take it apart and give it an alcohol bath (the clicker, that is!). Thanks again!

Comment

Thanks for this thread everyone. Two years ago, I bought 2 of these TVs for myself and 3 more on behalf of my family and friends because we got a great deal. I really loved the TVs until the first one that I purchased started making the loud screeching noises, the vertical lines and constantly turning on/off a few months ago. Not long after, all of the TVs were acting the same way.

Determined not to throw these TVs in the garbage, I took all of your suggestions and repaired the first TV by replacing the caps on the left side of the green PCB (caps purchased from Digi-key). I found 3 bulging and leaking caps. I also noticed 3 more bulging CapXon 100uF caps at C538, C168 and C169 so I replaced them as well. The TV works great now and I will repair the others.

I am new to electronics repair as a hobby and got interested after successfully repairing my Roomba vacuum last year. Replacing 14 caps in this TV project gave me a lot of practice desoldering and soldering on a PCB.

Comment

If it has more CapXon, replace the lot, they're garbage
                      -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by Agent24 View Post
                        Jammed power button? You say some of the other buttons don't work right either? Maybe the whole switch-board has some issues... you haven't got some buttons stuck down physically, from getting jammed under the casing somehow? (Seen that before)
                        Ok...I got lazy with the tv for a bit. Life side-tracked me, lol. I've checked all the buttons and none of them are jammed or anything. I'm thinking there's a short in the switch or something for the power...as far as the volume up button goes, that's anyone's guess. Never did get around to selling this on ebay since my computer's monitor went out on me shortly after my last post and I just started using this tv as my replacement. I have one other issue relating to that and I've tried everything that I can think of. When I try to use any HD resolution on my system with this tv, it constantly overscans when using hdmi. I've tried getting around it since I can't seem to find a way to turn it off in the TV's menu with no luck. Anyone have any ideas? (other than > > > )

Comment

Hi!

I am thinking of repairing my Magnavox. I am a complete newbie. I would have to get the soldering iron, etc. Do you think I could repair this as long as I learned how to solder correctly? Or, do you think I should just have someone else fix it? If I have somone else fix it, how much would you pay? I get power, the screen is just black.

Comment

Originally posted by BHowdy View Post
                            Hi!

I am thinking of repairing my Magnavox. I am a complete newbie. I would have to get the soldering iron, etc. Do you think I could repair this as long as I learned how to solder correctly? Or, do you think I should just have someone else fix it? If I have somone else fix it, how much would you pay? I get power, the screen is just black.

If it is the same problem, why not try? It will cost you more than it's worth to have someone else fix it. Be safe and have fun with it. Dont let it stress you out even if it doesnt work after your first try with the recap.
                            The strong-minded rise to the challenge of their goals,the weak-minded BECOME HATERS

Comment

Thanks to everyone on the thread and to Badcaps for providing me 6 capacitors which I replaced yesterday over the course of 2 hours. This repair is EASY. I would have been much faster if I had desolder tool. The three bad caps were the 10000uF ones (C112, C117, and C118). I also replaced the 2 470uF and the 330uF (C107, C114, C175). All of the prior 10000uF were CapXon as was one of the 470s. They were plump and obviously bad.

I have a feeling this might get to be addicting. My son has a TV....

Comment

I'm very glad to see that there are still some of these sets out there. I just repaired one of these same sets on superbowl sunday this year for some guys at work to see the game. I know, i'm an enabler.

Comment

Wow it's been awhile, but since my last post I've repaired six of these TV's and all are going strong. TY Dgteck Bob

Comment

Working...
                                  X