Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Acer AL2423W LCD Monitor - Bad caps

man i love hearing about this!
    though the OP i am simply amazed you found rubycon and UCC in a "new" monitor
    my bet is it was 4 years old, it was already worked on once before

it seems there are 3 or 4 of this psu/ inverter here in the forums with the same pcb boards

mine is acer x241w sd mid 2007

all the luck to everyone who comes across them in the cheap junk bin
    because i did not check everything it seems i have some other problems
    and now fixing it isnt much of a cost viable option either
    ...unless you have a spare xad306lr you want to ship to me!

ha, yeah taepo and capXcon...
    luckily i can get pico fuses down the road also

well my donated one gets to sit in its box until something else comes up

meanwhile i get to work on a dell BENQ psu next
    yay me with my valuable knowledge and time

Comment

Can someone describe what a "pico" fuse is and what it looks like? I pulled apart my Dell SP2208WFPt, symptoms were no power, no front lights. PSU/inverter board has plenty of CapXon caps, but none look particularly suspect (ie bulging). Should I just change them all out?

Comment

Originally posted by pjt View Post
        Can someone describe what a "pico" fuse is and what it looks like? I pulled apart my Dell SP2208WFPt, symptoms were no power, no front lights.
        A pico fuse is just another type of fuse. It usually looks something like this

http://media.digikey.com/photos/Litt...1%20SERIES.jpg

It will be marked PF on the PCB board. Something like pf500. It could be the main fuse right by the AC input that is bad, but not likely the picofuse. A good fuse should measure 0.3 ohms.

If you are not getting power (no power LED), your problem is unlikely to be a picofuse.

Do you have a multimeter? If yes and you are experienced in electronics, you can measure the DC voltage across the main filter capacitor (the biggest one on the board). That DC voltage should be 1.4 * mains line voltage.

Also post clear focused pictures of your boards (top down view - both sides) after reading

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1868
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I have this same monitor and subsequently the monitor failing is how I came across this forum. Great information! My monitor was experiencing a cross-hatch (read flannel) pattern when I turned it on. When I took the back off I got the same bloated capacitors as shown in the pictures on the thread. I was just going to replace the whole power board if it was cheap enough, but I think I will replace the capacitors at this point so the monitor lasts a fairly long time.

Comment

Originally posted by xfeastonarsex View Post
            When I took the back off I got the same bloated capacitors as shown in the pictures on the thread. I was just going to replace the whole power board if it was cheap enough, but I think I will replace the capacitors at this point so the monitor lasts a fairly long time.
            A power board will probably cost you around $60. New caps will cost no more than $10.

In addition, the power board will likely be used and have used caps.
            --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
              A power board will probably cost you around $60. New caps will cost no more than $10.

In addition, the power board will likely be used and have used caps.
              This is exactly what I was thinking, not to mention I love to tinker, so it should be a fun little project that will save me some money.

Comment

Hello,
                My AL2423 is starting to fail as described here...
                I will take pictures next time it does it...
                Good for me I have a fairly good 50Mhz Scope

Anyone's got recommendation, since it's not totally dead yet ?
                For now, I removed the DPMS power save, so it should live a bit longer...

Comment

Originally posted by pmichel View Post
                  Hello,
                  My AL2423 is starting to fail as described here...
                  I will take pictures next time it does it...
                  Good for me I have a fairly good 50Mhz Scope

Anyone's got recommendation, since it's not totally dead yet ?
                  For now, I removed the DPMS power save, so it should live a bit longer...
                  I would suggest you DO NOT wait until your monitor completely fails. If the current problem are only bad caps, then you'll get away with a $10-$12 fix. By waiting, you're allowing badly filtered DC voltage to reach other components, causing overheating, which can lead to a more costly and time consuming failure.

Comment

Hello Jetadm !
                    You convinced me...
                    and by the time I receive the replacement parts, the monitor had become unusable...

I changed all the caps of the power board for Panasonic caps (5000h+ endurance),
                    that is:
                    C14,C15 : 1000uf 16v (mine were inflated exactly like shown on some pictures on this thread)
                    C22 : 4.7uf 250v
                    C13, C16 : 100uf 25v (one was severely inflated)
                    C23 : 10uf 50v
                    C24, C25 : 33uf 35v
                    C32 : 22uf 50v
                    C10,C11,C12 : 680uf 25v
                    C30: 22uf, 25v (this one though I didn't like my replacement part, so I installed a 22uf 50v)

I tripled-verified the weldings
                    and then put the power ....
                    ...back like new !!.... (which is an understatement because nowadays LCDs hardly outspec this monitor!)

For now, I didn't change the caps on the video board, they are all teapo ... I read they are bad...
                    but I bought the replacement anyway...for the future...in case problems start again

Thanks for all the info on Badcaps.net
                    ------

Question...
                    In my mind, a 100uf 25v cap will behave exactly the same
                    as a 100uf 100v cap ( with signals <25v )
                    but... I never tried to measure the difference... has any of you experience a difference with caps of different voltages ?

tx

Comment

I just had to recap the inverter board....I turned it on today and about 30 seconds later I heard a loud POP, and the lamps on the left side had gone out (makes for a goofy looking screen)! ...one of the 3 180uF 30v caps had vented, another was swollen, and the last one still looked ok....I changed all 3 and once again, shes back in action.....but lesson to those working on this monitor, just go ahead and recap the inverter board while you're at it.
                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                      http://folding.stanford.edu/
                      Team : 49813
                      Join in!!
                      Team Stats

Comment

On all the monitors I've worked on, the inverter board was part of the PSU
                        I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                          On all the monitors I've worked on, the inverter board was part of the PSU
                          Not on this one....it has a dedicated board for that....its a huge ass board that runs the entire height of the monitor. If you look at the pics, its the board under the metal cover on the side with the vent holes in it.
                          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                          Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                          http://folding.stanford.edu/
                          Team : 49813
                          Join in!!
                          Team Stats

Comment

I should have read this thread first before closing it back up so I would have gone ahead and replaced the caps on the inverter board. Too late now, but i'll probably sell the monitor soon.

My issue was the monitor would be on, but take a while to light up, maybe a good 10-20 seconds of the Acer logo going, sometimes longer. When it finally displayed the image I would get the "No Signal" overlay from the monitor, even though it was still displaying the image perfectly. Every 5 minutes or so, it would finally detect the signal ( mind you its already displaying the image ) and restart and the "No Signal" message would go away. It continues to cycle through this every so often. Seemed like a power issue so I opened it up and found several bad caps. I only had time to replace the ones noticeably bulging, I did not ESR test every single cap.

Replaced the following bulging or pushing up from the bottom :
                            CS16 : 100uF 25V replaced with 220uF 25V
                            CS13: 100uF 25V replaced with 220uF 25V
                            CS14: 1000uF 16V 10mm replaced with 1000uF 16V 8mm

Replaced the two 680uF under the heatsink with 1000uF of same or higher voltage ( don't remember cap positions, I was relying on images on the first post for positions since I already closed her up ).

Obviously my caps weren't ideal replacements but they were all I had at the time. Monitor works fine now and is still extremely bright. Bought it a few weeks ago for $50. Didn't notice it even had speakers since they face down and don't show a grill. Accidently broke wires from the connector when I was trying to pull it off the board so it took a little while to figure out the wiring and resolder speaker wires to the crimps. Couldn't find pics for the wiring so I had to go ahead and just tried all the combinations until speaker worked again, although i have it set to stereo but both speakers go off when I test one or the other.... not sure if its because i rewired it wrong, or my audio cable is not stereo.

Comment

This display is full of crap, besides the first one I got some time ago (with nasty cold joint under freewheeling diode on primary and crap caps on secondary), the second one I just repaired got the rest of caps bad. Namely the 4,7 uF/250 V sitting on primary PWM chip with 120 ohm ESR, than all those 330uF caps on signal board also with one 22uF/25V general purpose cap in there having 13 uF and 15 ohm ESR. Changed every single non-quality cap in there which was terrible work, soldering these Acer signal board is messy job.
                              Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
                              Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Working...
                              X