Dell W1700 LCD Rev00

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dell W1700 LCD Rev00

That that high frequency whine is from the inverter.

Too low a frequency on the inverter probably (in the range of human hearing). Adjusting the brightness adjusted the pulses from the PWM and either reduced the whining frequency or reduced the vibrations from a loose winding on one of the inverter transformers.

Moniserv charges way too much for those inverters probably got them from China for 10 bucks.

I could buy a generic inverter and splice it in there for less than half the price but where's the fun in that .

The first thing to check with a blown fuse in any electronic circuit is for shorted semis. The inverter driver transistors should always be the first suspect with either a blown fuse or a backlights on for a second then off.
    Last edited by Krankshaft; 01-29-2010, 07:48 AM.
    Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Thanks for the driver transistor sub War6763.

Another post like that saved my butt on SMD component identification on a monitor I was repairing. A whole year after the original poster posted .
      Last edited by Krankshaft; 01-29-2010, 07:55 AM.
      Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

No problem! Glad it helped!!

Comment

Hello Everybody, Glad I found this thread, I too have the Dell W1700 LCD TV Monitor and had sound but no video, I replaced 2 bulging caps. and yes like an the newb that I am puddled over f1 and f2 just until the fuses come it. Now I get a back-light, but no picture, or menu's or anything. I can look in there and don't see any image at all, but at least the lights are on...lol. Any way does anyone have an idea of what this could be?
          Thank you all in advance for your help. Lite
          39 Soldering Iron burns And Counting

Comment

I just don't believe it, I just forgot to plug in the darn board under the metal frame it has 3 small silver screws not sure what it is but DUH
            39 Soldering Iron burns And Counting

Comment

Just fixed my W1700 for $10.64!!! Bought my monitor from Dell as a refurb a couple years ago and was hoping that they had fixed the issue. Yesterday I got the dreaded black screen and was going to order a replacement inverter until I came across this site.

I could not locate the Littlefuse so went to my local ESCO and he provided a pack of pico 2amp fuses with axial leads. I did not bother to desolder the old surface mount fuses but instead just soldered the axial leads to the solder joints on top of the blown fuses. He also told me that the radio shack capacitor is not much better than the one on the inverter as it is not a true low ESR capacitor. He sold me two a-35V 220UF, low ESRs for $1.59 each. Took all of 5 minutes to solder everying in. The screen works 100%.

THANKS to those that posted about the repair method!

Comment

Originally posted by Luv2Camp
                I could not locate the Littlefuse so went to my local ESCO and he provided a pack of pico 2amp fuses with axial leads. I did not bother to desolder the old surface mount fuses but instead just soldered the axial leads to the solder joints on top of the blown fuses.
                My F1 fuse was blown, replaced it the same way, except I went from the lead of the first cap after the fuse, to the fuse (for easier soldering)... SUCCESS!! Thanks for all your input, everyone!

Comment

Hi,

This is a great thread, happy I found it.

My Dell W1700 went dark, yet still has sound. I put it to the side for about a year and recently decided to dig into it.

After taking the monitor apart I found that the Caps, marked "GL", 220uf 25v were indeed bulging! The two 2A fuses, blown.

One option was to replace the entire inverter board with a "re- engineered" model from lcdparts/net (T501045.00MSS) however the price is a bit high when it may be possible to fix the old board -- so I ordered the parts required in order to try and resurrect this monitor.

I found the replacement parts on DigiKey,

Caps:
                  220uf 25v rated for 7000 hours at 105 degrees c
                  DigiKey P/N: 493-1549-ND

Fuses -
                  Littelfuse DiigKey P/N: F2885CT-ND
                  Tyco DigiKey P/N: 1206SFF200F/63CT-ND
                  Littelfuse DigiKey P/N: F1457CT-ND (Not SMD but should work if others are not available)

As for the MOSFETs - I didn't order them yet however I guess if the above replacements do not do trick I will swap them as well.

I will post on the outcome of the swapped parts after I get them on the board.
                  Last edited by DARPA-LABS; 05-20-2010, 08:03 PM.

Comment

@DARPA-LABS
                    Or To anyone who's nice enough and have the spare time to reply,
                    May I know what happened to your project.I also have one w1700 junked.I am thinking of reviving it @minimal cost.Do you need to replace the whole backlight inverter or only the fuses and capacitors?Please enlighten me since HDMI monitors are quite cheaper nowadays.If the repair will cost a lot better dispose the w1700 to other buyers.thanks in advance.

Comment

Dell W1700 update 2011

First do your research here:

http://www.osnews.com/story/17414/Followup_Dell_w1700

Now we find that capacitors do NOT HAVE TO BULGE OR LEAK but can fail out of their tolerance and even fail but continue to conduct enough energy to power most of the other components on any board we find!

The reason is that a healthy enthusiast needs to be reminded that even the best capacitors can fail on the shelf within 15 years. They are chemicals. That is why you are here. You looked up your model number and this is the way to fix it in 2011.

Because there are companies that recognize this, we will most likely always have Rubicon, Nicichon, and Samxon. Panasonic, Sanyo, and Sony are always good too because they buy their lots from those suppliers.

Because of hot flaming lawsuits I can only say that the basic equivalent was like a daughter business...Sony is Rubicon, Panasonic is Nichichon, and Sanyo is Samxon. You buy your business that way, mostly in the hot equipment like car stereos and boom boxes...

When those competitors get blindsided by fires and consumer complaints they have to take out larger insurance amounts which makes their product go up in price.

So now it is basically two cents per dollar in insurance.

Here is my experience with the Dell W1700.

This is the board, then, that you are probably coming to this site about:

http://www.lcdrepair.us/w1700inverter.html

Now you probably realize that at some point you'd have to solder a couple of capacitors, that is why you came to this site. If you were a moron without a solder gun you wouldn't be here.

Good caps are more hearty than your momma. They'll take all her bitchin' and still dish out more, waiting for you to crumble...

Happy Labor Day 2011!

In 15 years you wouldn't care or have a warranty.

What I discovered in this journey for the first time was that power supplies have the most copper on the board. In the first revision of the board that Dell supplied they compared the UL listing for fires and compromised their boards so that they could make the most money and fee their families.

It is because in China/Taiwan, two $0.02 cent parts that satisfy the UL listing in N.America...do not equivocate to a $0.08 capacitor in bulk that would satisfy the same need, to fail or injure anyone. These things are studied. So just like America, they pay their engineers a salary to live on, to make the cheapest circuit they can make. It is a bit of a conundrum and a basic thought into further marketing, shelf life, and overall name an quality.

My girlfriend works in insurance, and she says that two cents in production is the equivalent if not better than one house fire that is linked to poor components. As in war they consider that acceptable loss and compatible or collateral damage, as if you never wanted the P4 to ever go beyond a socket 478.

I have a dual socket 370 Abit BP-6. I can overclock it and learn. I recapped the entire board but someone let it go so much that it blew the USB 1.0 port... big deal. Technology is expendable. I can get a PCI to USB 2.0 card with six inputs for less than $10 shipped on Ebay.

THE BIG DEAL HERE IS THAT DELL OPTED FOR THE CHEAPEST BID.

So just go into all their junk and install the best caps you can. All the regular equipment will work until 2020...

IT IS A BIG SECRET...here, but you are the forefront as technology collapses.

I saw a pirate on Ebay selling IBM T42 laptops with Windows 7.

and finally our subject line which leads into my first link.

_______________________________________________________________

Here are the picture that got me there:

MOST POWER CIRCUITS:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4304

as you can see most power comes off a common rail, and the USA with our UL listed makes sure every circuit has it's power breaker, a fuse.

So if you bypass this failed circuit and bead the entire power supply AFTER you replace your two capacitors with Nichichon 35v 220u LFX you'll be fine with bridging the power supply like they do in car amps. Thanks.

Attached Files
                      Last edited by SchoolDaGeek; 05-28-2011, 12:25 AM. Reason: Second view while working...

Comment

Bridging the Dell W1700 with Nichichon 35v replacements.
                        Attached Files

Comment

First do your research here:

Now we find that capacitors do NOT HAVE TO BULGE OR LEAK but can fail out of their tolerance and even fail but continue to conduct enough energy to power most of the other components on any board we find!

The reason is that a healthy enthusiast needs to be reminded that even the best capacitors can fail on the shelf within 15 years. They are chemicals. That is why you are here. You looked up your model number and this is the way to fix it in 2011.

Because there are companies that recognize this, we will most likely always have Rubicon, Nicichon, and Samxon. Panasonic, Sanyo, and Sony are always good too because they buy their lots from those suppliers.

Because of hot flaming lawsuits I can only say that the basic equivalent was like a daughter business...Sony is Rubicon, Panasonic is Nichichon, and Sanyo is Samxon. You buy your business that way, mostly in the hot equipment like car stereos and boom boxes...

When those competitors get blindsided by fires and consumer complaints they have to take out larger insurance amounts which makes their product go up in price.

So now it is basically two cents per dollar in insurance.

Here is my experience with the Dell W1700.

This is the board, then, that you are probably coming to this site about:

http://www.lcdrepair.us/w1700inverter.html

Now you probably realize that at some point you'd have to solder a couple of capacitors, that is why you came to this site. If you were a moron without a solder gun you wouldn't be here.

Good caps are more hearty than your momma. They'll take all her bitchin' and still dish out more, waiting for you to crumble...

Happy Labor Day 2011!

In 15 years you wouldn't care or have a warranty.

What I discovered in this journey for the first time was that power supplies have the most copper on the board. In the first revision of the board that Dell supplied they compared the UL listing for fires and compromised their boards so that they could make the most money and fee their families.

It is because in China/Taiwan, two $0.02 cent parts that satisfy the UL listing in N.America...do not equivocate to a $0.08 capacitor in bulk that would satisfy the same need, to fail or injure anyone. These things are studied. So just like America, they pay their engineers a salary to live on, to make the cheapest circuit they can make. It is a bit of a conundrum and a basic thought into further marketing, shelf life, and overall name an quality.

My girlfriend works in insurance, and she says that two cents in production is the equivalent if not better than one house fire that is linked to poor components. As in war they consider that acceptable loss and compatible or collateral damage, as if you never wanted the P4 to ever go beyond a socket 478.

I have a dual socket 370 Abit BP-6. I can overclock it and learn. I recapped the entire board but someone let it go so much that it blew the USB 1.0 port... big deal. Technology is expendable. I can get a PCI to USB 2.0 card with six inputs for less than $10 shipped on Ebay.

THE BIG DEAL HERE IS THAT DELL OPTED FOR THE CHEAPEST BID.

So just go into all their junk and install the best caps you can. All the regular equipment will work until 2020...

IT IS A BIG SECRET...here, but you are the forefront as technology collapses.

I saw a pirate on Ebay selling IBM T42 laptops with Windows 7.

and finally our subject line which leads into my first link.

__________________________________________________ _____________

Here are the picture that got me there:

MOST POWER CIRCUITS:

as you can see most power comes off a common rail, and the USA with our UL listed makes sure every circuit has it's power breaker, a fuse.

So if you bypass this failed circuit and bead the entire power supply AFTER you replace your two capacitors with Nichichon 35v 220u LFX you'll be fine with bridging the power supply like they do in car amps. Thanks.

Just like this:
                          Last edited by SchoolDaGeek; 05-28-2011, 12:43 AM. Reason: timeout

Comment

Bridging an inverter is the least of my worries for a fire. Millions of audio afficionados do it in their car withougt worrry. It is only a power amplifier, PMP.

Comment

i have this same tv and it is nice but now no picture but i have sound i checked the inverter and i have a part on it that is burnt can someone send me a link to buy the board i cant see good enough to do the work myself.thanks

Comment

this is funny i got this w1700 used and someone has already done the work once but instead of installing new fuses they just installed two wires instead now not only do i have to replace the two caps and two fuses i also have to replace a chip to the right of the caps but the bad thing is the chip has no markings on it does anyone know the part number for this chip?all help is welcome.it is q40a on the circuit board.thanks.
                                Last edited by fisherman7499; 08-16-2011, 11:21 PM. Reason: forgot to tell people exactly where it is on the circuit board

Comment

Does anyone have a photo of the LVDS cable? the 30 pin side? thanks

Comment

Working...
                                  X