Looking for a blow/butane torch to be used for heat shrink tubing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for a blow/butane torch to be used for heat shrink tubing

Up until now I have been using lighter to shrink my tubes While it works, it can get problematic at times. I am looking for a hand held butane blow torch that will get the job done.

I have went on amazon and bought a "cooking" torch. Well, that thing will burn the connector, wire, my hair along with the heat shrink. Flame is way too strong and big.

I am looking for a self igniting hand held torch with small flame. Also, it would be nice if the trigger would release the butane and ignite it at the same time. The one I have, I have to turn up the gas first with one knob and then ignite it with the trigger. Then close the gas valve when done as it does not shut off by itself.

If you have have/used on that would fit the bill, can you link to it?

Thanks.

Re: Looking for a blow/butane torch to be used for heat shrink tubing

I think that will make the work too hot and may even burn. The heat from my soldering iron work perfect for me. However, it's your choice, still.

Comment

I have a $5 butane blow torch I found at Walmart of all places. Found mine in the checkout line. Works great for heatshrink tubes! have a look https://www.walmart.com/ip/Eagle-Jet...hter/213634655
      Last edited by NTkiller7000; 01-22-2018, 03:48 PM.
      Just trying to make these stupid electrons behave!
      ...Not having too much success, they keep flying around those atom thingy-majiggers...

Comment

The blue torch-like flame is an indication of an extremely hot flame. What is making you desire a torch flame? The natural gas flame is equally extremely hot.

Same here I'd rather just use a solder iron or hot air - either a hot air gun or a SMD rework station wand.

Comment

I have used a Weller PSI100K and the Ultratorch UT-100 I think most portable butane solder iron/heat tools have a hot air attachment
          or search "butane heat tool" lots to choose from
          Last edited by R_J; 01-22-2018, 03:59 PM.

Comment

I have a SolderPro by Iroda. It has a hot air attachment that is perfect for heatshrink.

Comment

hot air is best but other methods can and do work satisfactorily . am sure i have used a hair dryer in the past .

Comment

Forgot the link https://www.amazon.com/Iroda-SOLDERP...roda+solderpro

Comment

Originally posted by petehall347 View Post
                  hot air is best but other methods can and do work satisfactorily . am sure i have used a hair dryer in the past .
                  +1

I use my Leister because it lets me tweek the temperature and air flow rate. I can also choose a nozzle that will direct the air/heat to a very specific place -- helpful when heatshrinking wires that are IN a harness and you don't want to toast everything around it!

Or, a suitably sized tip on a soldering iron (with a bit more patience)

If you're doing individual shrinks "in open air", then you can get a heat gun (I think HF has some cheap ones at $10 and you never have to worry about running out of butane/propane) or even a hair dryer.

[These last two tend to put out way too much air and heat so not good if you're patching something with other stuff around it]

I'd be leary about any sort of open flame as its just too easy to fry something (e.g., plastic parts, insulation) before you realize the heat has drifted off target!

Comment

Originally posted by NTkiller7000 View Post
                    I have a $5 butane blow torch I found at Walmart of all places. Found mine in the checkout line. Works great for heatshrink tubes! have a look https://www.walmart.com/ip/Eagle-Jet...hter/213634655
                    That's what I am using and works for me for years. It's god when you using it not too close.
                    Laptops and computers repair.

Comment

Originally posted by gabik111 View Post
                      That's what I am using and works for me for years. It's good when you using it not too close.
                      Yep, works great. Turn the gas all the way down, hold an inch and a half away from target, and heat away. If your're careful, you can even desolder with it. I've used it to pull components off a dead single layer board for another project, just don't focus the heat in one place for too long.
                      Just trying to make these stupid electrons behave!
                      ...Not having too much success, they keep flying around those atom thingy-majiggers...

Comment

Working...
                      X