Badcaps.net Forum
Go Back   Badcaps Forums > Motherboards with Bad Capacitors > Other Devices with Bad Capacitors
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2014, 03:06 AM   #1
Almighty1
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: San Francisco, California
My Country: United States
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Default Replacement cap advice needed for Panamax Max 1000+ Surge Protector/Line Conditioner

I have a Panamax Max 1000+ Surge Protector/Line Conditioner that died a few years ago with the overvoltage light which from googling basically says it's a known problem as they use low quality caps and replacing the caps will solve the problem. It basically looks like this inside:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/86-ult...ms-busted.html

The capacitors is as follows:
2 x 50v 4.7uF RGA AE 85C 5mmx13mm indicated by red arrow(s) at C11 and C14
1 x 35v 220uF RGA AE 85C 10mmx19mm indicated by blue arrow at C8
1 x 25v 22uF Panasonic SU 85C 5mmx11mm indicated by green arrow at C12
2 x 350v 10uF RGA AE 85C 10mmx25mm indicated by black arrow(s) at C9 and C18

What would be good options for replacement with long endurance as I should probably go for 105C caps?

I can see that for C11 and C14, the N/UCC KY would probably work, and for C12, perhaps the Panasonic FR 50v 22uF would work, what about for the others? Also, the resistor on the right hand side of the green arrow seems to have some cracks on the paint, how does one test the resistor with a Digital Multimeter to see if it's still good?

Last edited by Almighty1; 10-03-2014 at 03:27 AM..
Almighty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 05:59 PM   #2
ron350

City & State: AL
My Country: USA
Default Re: Replacement cap advice needed for Panamax Max 1000+ Surge Protector/Line Conditio

Did you see this tip?
If the tip is correct then you would want to use the largest voltage 220 uF high temp cap that will fit.

http://www.fixya.com/support/t370198-panamax_1000
ron350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 10:59 PM   #3
Almighty1
Badcaps Veteran

Default Re: Replacement cap advice needed for Panamax Max 1000+ Surge Protector/Line Conditio

Yes, that was what I saw before I even opened the thing but it doesn't say what the guy replaced it with since not sure if ESR matters or not. Not to mention, C8 seems to be the culprit so higher ripple voltage and a cap with a higher voltage than 35v is probably better but I wonder what about raising the capacitance and since this is a 120VAC Surge protector, why would it be a 35v cap that's the problem as that would be a low voltage.
Old 10-06-2014, 12:38 PM   #4
ron350

City & State: AL
My Country: USA

Looks like if want an answer to your cap question you will need to post up at
‘’ General Capacitor Questions & Issues”.
ron350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 03:01 AM   #5
Almighty1
Badcaps Veteran

Thought about that one but it seems this forum would work as well. One thing with replacing caps is that it will void the lifetime surge protection warranty like if a surge destroyed stuff, they won't cover it. The product has a lifetime warranty too and I think what they are doing is basically you pay like $35 and they will give you a new current model replacement. I don't really need the unit so I can sell the replacement.
Old 07-05-2018, 04:45 PM   #6
debellis

City & State: Rio de Janeiro
My Country: Brazil

I recently repaired a Panamax Max 1000+. After replacing all the electrolytic capacitors the unit still refused to work. Then I tested the voltage across ZD1;it was 13V. ZD1 is a 1N4748 zener diode (22V 1W). The zener was then replaced and i brought the unit back into operation. Now that voltage is 22V.
debellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 04:53 PM   #7
petehall347
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: worcester
My Country: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almighty1 View Post
Thought about that one but it seems this forum would work as well. One thing with replacing caps is that it will void the lifetime surge protection warranty like if a surge destroyed stuff, they won't cover it. The product has a lifetime warranty too and I think what they are doing is basically you pay like $35 and they will give you a new current model replacement. I don't really need the unit so I can sell the replacement.
send it back and a get a free new one .. should be free unless small print and you signed it says otherwise ..
petehall347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 04:58 PM   #8
petehall347
Badcaps Veteran

it does look like a real bad warranty to me .. it fails and destroys your equipment but is not covered because you didn't notice it was broken with warning light on .. is there a call back on these units ?
Old 07-05-2018, 04:59 PM   #9
petehall347
Badcaps Veteran

haha just noticed this a 4 year old thread