Sony XBR49X900E no picture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sony XBR49X900E no picture

This is not a TCON, mainboard or power supply issue.

It is an inverter and backlight issue. Try troubleshooting along that line and use back your original boards.

Comment

To limtk55, well if that's the case, then all that needs to be done to prove that is to disconnect the ribbon that connects the LED driver to the main board. If the backlight, inverter or power board aren't working properly then of course no backlight. If they all are however, disconnecting the main board auto turns on the backlight like it does for some of the Samsung LED sets.
      Just that small ribbon between the LED driver and main board, disconnect it, and plug in the TV. If the backlight comes up, then we can rule that out. If not, then we have a new diagnostic direction.*

Comment

Hi dwlee6vn and Nick's TV:

Are there any updates on this TV repair? I'm eager to know what the solution was?

I have a Sony XBR-65X900E with very similar problem, and I understand the 49", 55", 65", and 75" in the X900E series use same mainboard, and experience similar problems.

I got my 65" from someone in non-working condition. TV will turn on (power button, or remote), with backlights, and has a relaxing "spa" sound after a brief startup. Never does an image appear on screen.

The person who sold it to me tried replacing the TCON, and provided me with the original TCON, and the replacement TCON. Both TCON have same problem of backlights on with no display at all. No idea if TCON are working, or not.

Visible fuses on mainboard check out ok, and voltage is present on each fuse. TCON 12V fuse ok. 12V is traceable in multiple locations. AVDD on TCON is 0V at the ribbon connectors going to the panel.

I thought TCON was issue since missing AVDD, but since both TCON are missing AVDD, maybe the mainboard is not sending a signal to the TCON to turn on the RT6931 IC that looks like it controls these things?

Disconnecting ribbon cables form TCON to panel has no effect, not even a flicker.

Disconnecting ribbon cables from mainboard to TCON has no effect, not even a flicker.

I tried installing a software update via USB (plug in TV while holding power button and vol- button, until power LED turns green then release buttons) but there was no change. The LED on my USB stick flickers randomly every so often, but not consistently or for prolonged duration so I doubt the update is being installed.

What is the issue here? mainboard? or TCON?

In assuming problem is on TCON, I located two 6-pin ICs labelled ICA1 and ICB1 which both have 12V at pin 4, but not at pins5&6 which would be the outputs which feed the rest of their circuit paths.

I can get the screen to show some signs of life by jumping pin 4 to adjacent pin 5 with small screwdriver (thereby bridging 12V input to output), the screen lights up bright white (no image, just white). Therefore I doubt the screen is the issue, but rather the TCON, or more likely the mainboard.

Nick's TV: I'm really interested to know what is your experience with these mainboards? What is the culprit? There are some winbond SPI flash chips on mainboard. maybe these get corrupted?

I hope to hear from you or others with information on these SONY android TVs
        Last edited by Unspun01; 03-04-2022, 12:01 AM.

Comment

Can we get a good picture of t-con?
          I assume no responsibility for any stupid suggestions I might post.

Comment

Hi:

My camera and lighting is not suitable for a decent pic, so please see a high quality image of the TCON courtesy of shopjimmy.com

https://www.shopjimmy.com/sony-1-897...c-t-con-board/

Comment

I think we are all having a very similar issue, mine is same except I have no backlight and the orange/green flashing indicator will start up every time I unplug and replug the tv to power, if leave tv in standby, that is not unplug from power then it will just turn on to dim white indicator still no picture or backlight, nobody has been able to figure it out from what I have seen, here's a question, do you have voltage on the bl-error pin? from all I have seen tried, it seems like a firmware issue because it looks like people have covered replacing all the hardware many times???
              Last edited by nomoresonys; 03-04-2022, 03:52 AM.

Comment

Doubt very much if it will work but going to try reflowing the 8 memory chips near the sonyx1 and the x-reality pro chips, will take a least a week to get the needed equipment.

Comment

Need to check for other voltages. VONE, right side of board. VOFF top left. VDD 3.3v
                  I assume no responsibility for any stupid suggestions I might post.

Comment

Thanks Dskall, I'll check them, I have to wait for solder paste, took off 2 ic's a cap and a coil, all real little shit, no fun working with this tiny crap.

Comment

ok, my bad, I realize you were talking to unspun.

Comment

Nomoresonys. In your case your mainboard is not paired, the orange and green blinking lights indicate you need to pair the mainboard.
                        Download the software from sony support onto a flash drive and follow the instructions in comment #2 of the thread.

As for everyone else, something else that you can do with these TV sets is disconnect the ribbons from the mainboard going to the T-con board. This should trigger the color pattern test. In doing so you can either confirm the mainboard is the issue or rule it out.
                        At least I am confident that is the case as this is something you can do with the 2015 models and I am pretty sure also works with the 2016 and 2017 as well.
                        If the color pattern test shows up then the T-con, panel, power, LEDs are fine. If the color pattern test doesn't show up at least you can rule out the mainboard as being the fault.

Comment

Thanks Nick's, I tried every which way to load the firmware, last time I plugged usb in, plugged tv on it went green/orange, usb stick lit up and blinked as they do, did it for about 20 seconds then stopped lighting up, then about 30 seconds later tv indicator light went red for a few seconds then yellow for a few then red, that's where it stayed.

Comment

I renamed it, tried it with power off then put in stick, tried with power on and put in stick while blinking, I think I downloaded firmware twice, guess I'll download the firmware with another browser, just can't figure this one out.

Comment

Weird, renaming it should have worked.
                              One more thing you can try is with the flash drive plugged in, and power disconnected press and hold the power and volume down while holding it plug-in power. Don't let go until the update starts taking or the light turns green.
                              This will do both a hard reset and firmware update/pairing. Sometimes if a board gives me trouble this helps but now always.

Comment

Thanks, will try it when I get these very little ic, cap and coil that I took off back in place.

Comment

Originally posted by nomoresonys View Post
                                  I renamed it, tried it with power off then put in stick, tried with power on and put in stick while blinking, I think I downloaded firmware twice, guess I'll download the firmware with another browser, just can't figure this one out.
                                  nomoresonys:

Are you sure you are getting 12V to the TCON?

Unrelated to this thread, I have a different 55" SONY XBR-55X850C that blinks green/yellow as soon as it is plugged in because the TCON isn't getting 12V from the power supply. I accidentally shorted something and lost TCON 12V (which is separate than the 12V supplied to the mainboard on that tv).

Comment

Originally posted by dskall View Post
                                    Need to check for other voltages. VONE, right side of board. VOFF top left. VDD 3.3v
                                    Hi Dskall - thanks for reply.

Do you know what the voltages VONE and VOFF should be?

Comment

Originally posted by Nick's Tvs View Post
                                      Nomoresonys. In your case your mainboard is not paired, the orange and green blinking lights indicate you need to pair the mainboard.

something else that you can do with these TV sets is disconnect the ribbons from the mainboard going to the T-con board. This should trigger the color pattern test. In doing so you can either confirm the mainboard is the issue or rule it out.

If the color pattern test shows up then the T-con, panel, power, LEDs are fine. If the color pattern test doesn't show up at least you can rule out the mainboard as being the fault.
                                      Hi Nick:

When I disconnect the ribbons between the mainboard to the TCON, there is no change. Not even a flicker. No color pattern.

I think the main TCON and the spare TCON I have are both bad, possibly.

Just seems strange that the TV will turn on and off and play relaxing music. For that reason I don't suspect mainboard, but these android sony TVs are strange animals.

Any other advice?

Comment

If you can't get the color pattern test, then it would mean something is probably wrong with the T-con or panel provided you are getting the 12v to your T-con. Are you getting the 12V to your T-con?
                                        Maybe try another T-con. I know it sounds dumb but you are trusting someone else's work and parts. So to rule out any mistakes on their end I would say get a new T-con from a reliable source. If that doesn't do it then it's possible although rare that you have a bad panel.
                                        Have you looked at the surface mount components on the address boards to see if there are any shorted caps or anything like that?
                                        Also, you do get your backlight to turn on right?

Comment

Originally posted by Unspun01 View Post
                                          nomoresonys:

Are you sure you are getting 12V to the TCON?

Unrelated to this thread, I have a different 55" SONY XBR-55X850C that blinks green/yellow as soon as it is plugged in because the TCON isn't getting 12V from the power supply. I accidentally shorted something and lost TCON 12V (which is separate than the 12V supplied to the mainboard on that tv).
                                          Yes, I have this same issue, Diah helped me get 12 volts to the tcon bypassing the mainboard signal and getting it straight from the powerboard, that's the only way I could get it, but there wasn't any change in display or anything still just the spa music, no backlight, no image with torch, on page 8 of my thread: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...=102548&page=8

Comment

Working...
                                          X