Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone Experienced with Server 2003 TS & AD ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anyone Experienced with Server 2003 TS & AD ?

HP LaserJet 2100 PCL6

Version: Windows XP and Windows Server 2003, x64

T[/QUOTE]

i don't think there is an XP driver for that, didn't it stop at 2k?
    Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Here: HP LaserJet 2100 PCL 6 Printer Driver

Operating System(s): Microsoft Windows 2000, Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Microsoft Windows XP

T
      veritas odium parit

Comment

ohh, i had DOS to 2k drivers for it, but i needed the XP driver to... as for the server try uninstalling the printer(s) drivers i have seen HP drivers do some wonky things with 2k
        Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Generally pcl6 drivers are a bad idea in server 2003ts environments
          try to see if you can install pcl5 drivers as a test. But if you have macros they will stop working

I'm prettysure you can get pcl5 generic up drivers.

Comment

Btw I installed the hp2200 drivers. They work fine for the 2100

Comment

The Laserjet 2200 and the Laserjet 2100 both support PCL and PS. In addition to that, they are basically the same printer. Most likely the only difference between the drivers is the name.

Comment

Everday requires restarts of the .201 & .202. Clients can't get to either for database (201) or shared files (202). This has gone from mildly amusing to annoying and I can't see why this happens. It all looks fine at 2AM but by 7:30AM it's FUBAR.

Can not "stop" or "restart" the server service... times out, so this is a cold boot/restart of the system(s), DAILY. wtf!

T
                veritas odium parit

Comment

^ after (illegally?) reading the NT source code, i can tell you the registry is a little P.O.S try looking for any bad entries.

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Sure, I have time to go through 250,000 lines looking for "something".... NOT!

T
                    veritas odium parit

Comment

Can you send me the logs
                      System and application logs from 12am before the reboot

Comment

I work on servers daily with my job and been system admin for many many years. I was looking at this thread trying to find out where it stands or what is actually happening. I got confused reading everything but more than happy to try to help.

Comment

I wish I knew... lol!

Shortly after posting about the daily restarts, it was fine for nearly a week!

Then suddenly APP server will get lost in the domain. A client connected to TS will run an application based on TS with it's database server running on APP will get an error. (Can't find data path type of error.) Nor can anyone connect to it ~quickly~ via RDP. It may take 2 - 4 minutes for it to become available. This will have been fine 2 hours before as a backup program runs on TS nightly for the database(s) on APP. Backup program is from the same publisher as the database software. Turning the backup on or off does -not- make a difference.

We get an occasional "Name Resolution failed. Check DNS, Gateway and other settings" message on the SonicWall logs, and that typically kills the servers to cold restarts. MAIN and APP take a loooong time to come back, usually hanging at the "Preparing Network Connections" message. That can last upward of 10 minutes or more at times.

If you try and bring them all back on at once, TS will usually require a restart again as sessions trying to connect can't find the domain.

Another observation is that all the "local" (same building) computers that can (there is a mish-mosh of OS's) are connecting to the domain at startup. The rest use "Workgroup". Whereas the "remote office" computers over the VPN are using Workgroup at their end only and do not connect to the domain until they go to RDP to TS. I think you'll need me to explain that better at some point. I'm fairly certain it's something not set up correctly in the VPN connection(s).

T
                          veritas odium parit

Comment

well I am not sure if you are comfortable with doing this but one major thing with servers i have found that cause issues most of the time with anything are antivirus software on servers and firewall. I have seen when someone used TS and logged in it tripped the stupid antivirus and then lost connectivity.

If people are in a workgroup and named different that will not cause too much trouble as it does not do anything with that when you sign in VPN. That will just affect computers seeing each other not on a domain.

I would disable antivirus and then firewall on that server to make sure none of those are causing conflicts. Also can you post even logs or what errors do you see ? Terminal Servers will tell you right away what is going on if you have the TS server set to capture logs.

I will send a PM with my number if you need to ask specifics.

Comment

So, what is your hardware? Branded servers? PCs pretending to be servers?
                              What network cards do the affected servers have?
                              What switch are you using?

On the primary DC, what DNS server is it using? It should be itself.
                              What is DHCP handing out? It should be the primary or secondary DC.

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
                                Yea, the Standard edition can only address 4GB, as I wrote before:
                                Microsoft having an XP 2002-like 4 GB RAM limit is gay!

("2002" refers to pre-Server 2003 versions) (XP x32 is version 2002)
                                Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 11-08-2013, 05:37 PM.
                                ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

- A/V software has been removed.
                                  - Windows firewall is not operational. The SonicWall devices perform this function.

Servers:
                                  HP Proliant series towers (3)
                                  ML150 G6 (TS)
                                  ML350 G4 (MAIN)
                                  ML350 G6 (ER)
                                  Intel SR1400 1U (APP)
                                  All use as delivered/onboard network cards.

Switch - Dell 24 port 10/100/1000 - can't remember the model.

DNS -
                                  MAIN/202 points to itself as primary and APP/201 as secondary
                                  APP/201 points to itself as primary and MAIN/202 as secondary

Where to check the DHCP? I'm sure it's correct, otherwise there would be nothing working.

T
                                  Last edited by Toasty; 11-08-2013, 11:04 PM.
                                  veritas odium parit

Comment

what does the log file say ? There has to be a log file somewhere that tells us what is actually happening. I mean windows files on both servers. Unless i misunderstood both servers are not talking to each other at one time.
                                    Last edited by mmoore5553; 11-08-2013, 10:59 PM.

Comment

The hangs usually have no problems that I see in the logs. Only when DNS fails is there some activity.

I can remote in at 7:00 am, before anyone arrives, and everything is connected. Programs have run as scheduled and the servers are all available through explorer and RDP.

At 8:05 am I get a call that the program they are trying to run on TS/200 has lost the data pathing on APP/201, plus it took a long time to respond from (1) the domain login to desktop and (2) the desktop to TS via RDP. If all goes well, I can usually restart the APP/201 server and the issue clears. When it goes really bad, it requires a trip in to physically shut everything down (cold) and bring them back up 1 at a time. That can mean at least an hour from trouble call to restart. The real pickle comes when 201/202 decide to do their "Preparing Network Connections" bit as previously mentioned. I've seen that take 15 minutes.

T
                                      veritas odium parit

Comment

This to me without any logs sounds like something with authentication or dns or dhcp. On the dns servers have one point to the active directory server and then secondary address be 4.2.2.2. That points out dns to level 3 communications. I want to see if you have any issues. Also if you go into dns and right click and properties. What do you have setup dns forwarders ?

Sorry I am having a hard time understanding if you can remote to them but then all of a sudden you cant.

Also do you have backup software running at the wrong time taking up bandwidth ?

I could totally be off base here without seeing logs or knowing all the facts though. Any one else have any other thoughts of something i might have missed.
                                        Last edited by mmoore5553; 11-09-2013, 12:02 AM.

Comment

I'm going to clear the logs and wait until the next time it craps out. Then I'll send them to you.

No backups run during business hours. All clients are kicked (scripted) at 11 pm daily. Backups run from 12 midnight until roughly 6 am, and only 1 runs every day.

Understand that this has been an issue for a very long time (prior to my time here). I have resolved quite a few issues over the past 18 months, particularly the slowness of the network.

As i said way back in the beginning of the thread, I did not set up the network and connections nor configure the servers. I'm sure a good purge is in order here.

I am not going to perform that unless it can be proven that it will correct an issue. I only have 1/2 a day on Saturday and most of the day Sunday to do major revamps. One or more persons usually remote in at various time on the weekends to get some work finished. My window is usually very tight and prior notice is generally needed.

>>On the dns servers have one point to the active directory server and then secondary address be 4.2.2.2.<<

Not clear on what you want me to do there? 201 & 202 are both DNS servers and 202 is also AD...?

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...53&postcount=8

Thanks for all the input folks!

T
                                          veritas odium parit

Comment

Working...
                                          X