Sun Ultra 10 Creator 3D 440MHz...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sun Ultra 10 Creator 3D 440MHz...

Just thought I'd share this with the masses, since it happened to me.
    Got a few systems from a friend moving to Europe, including a Sun Ultra 10, an SGI Indy and an SGI Octane. the Indy and Octane are still currently untested, but when i opened the Ultra 10 to pop in a USB card before my first boot of it, I was welcomed with the unsightly bulge of capacitors next to the UltraSPARC IIi CPU card. it seems the fan siezed and the caps went puffy. and one that would have otherwise gone puffy went and pooped its pants!

The CPU for reference is an UltraSPARC IIi 440MHz, the fastest they shipped with it seems Sun has used quite a few different vendors for caps for these Ultra 5 and 10's. The ones I had were IQ, but I've also seen an older Teapo style capacitor and Panasonic-Matsushita caps in various pictures of the same area on the internet-- so it doesn't surprise me that some cheaper capacitors made its way into these.

I replaced the entirety of the capacitors next to the CPU module with some recovered Rubycons from a mid-2003 MSI motherboard saved for just this sort of occasion. the pitch of the legs was off so I did have to bend the legs weird to get them in the holes and soldered up, but they're all in now (picture 2) and the machine works as it should.

So just a warning to anyone browsing the forums here, if you have vintage Sun equipment from the turn of the century, I suggest you check your capacitors. I want to say this may also be the same case for any other Sun Ultra series computer after the 5/10 and onwards to before they went x86. just give them a check and see how cruddy they are.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Sudos; 06-02-2015, 05:04 AM.

Re: Sun Ultra 10 Creator 3D 440MHz...

when you get the octane out, pull the main board and check the part number.
    if it's something under 1000 then it has a design fault and will probably fail.

i cant remember the exact numbers anymore, but the first type had bga problems because of the heatsink design.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
      when you get the octane out, pull the main board and check the part number.
      if it's something under 1000 then it has a design fault and will probably fail.

i cant remember the exact numbers anymore, but the first type had bga problems because of the heatsink design.
      I'll do that once it stops raining... northeastern US is getting hammered with storms this past week so far.
      is this an issue that can be prevented with some sort of modification or is it going to inevitably fail?

Comment

i have no idea, mine failed before i found out.

what it has is a single heatsink across several chips.
        i suspect if you have seperate sinks so there is no problem with expansion or heat re-distribution it may fix the issue.

there was a great forum for sgi:
        http://forums.nekochan.net/

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
          i have no idea, mine failed before i found out.

what it has is a single heatsink across several chips.
          i suspect if you have seperate sinks so there is no problem with expansion or heat re-distribution it may fix the issue.

there was a great forum for sgi:
          http://forums.nekochan.net/
          yep, familiar with it, I've been hanging out in their IRC channel for a while now.

Comment

found out about the Octane, it's the revised motherboard. the Indy in my posession is unknown yet if it needs anything; I just got some 13W3 to VGA adapters so I'll be testing them out sometime soon in the next few weeks. both are as dusty as hell but I should be able to figure it all out in time.

Comment

if the indy psu has panasonic FC series caps in it, dont be surprised if they are leaking from around the negative lead.

Comment

Working...
              X