Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Samsung 216BW - have I already messed it up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung 216BW - have I already messed it up?

Hi everybody, reposting this because I'm stupid and didn't pay attention. Apologies.

Last year my Samsung 216BW died on me. The typical, it seems. It would turn off after a few seconds, over and over. Eventually after a few minutes of 'warming it up' it would stay on. I can't recall 100% how long it was good for or exactly how often I had to do this. Eventually it didnt turn on at all. I took a bunch of pictures back in the day, but they are not the best quality or angle or anything. I didnt know exactly what I was doing and didnt look into getting help on the net back then.

Here is a link to a photo album that contains the pictures. I didnt resize them because I didnt want them to be utterly useless; you might need the larger sizes just to be able to glean anything useful from them.

I have since purchased a repair kit from http://lcdalternatives.com/Samsung-2...aspx?sid=19447, and gone to work trying to repair the capacitors.

I at first replaced only the 3 originally puffy capacitors, but when that didnt work I replaced all of them. In the process I messed up. The last (duuuh) capacitor I had to remove came off with the little connection ring that connects it to the PCB... I did a little googling and found out that this can be rectified by attaching the lead to to next component in line. Here is where I found that advice, although I believe I also saw it elsewhere online as well.

I think I did an ok job on most of the capacitors, but at the end after I messed up the connection, I ran out of wick and was having real trouble getting my iron to consistently melt the solder properly... I kind of gave up on the last one, at least until I get some more patience and maybe some more desolder wick. I swear there is no wiggle to the 'bridge' or the shitty connections around it that you'll see in the last picture, and i tried to coax the solder into the hole around the lead as much as possible.

Basically, the monitor isn't turning on, although at this point I'm not surprised. Am I totally screwed? I don't yet have a voltmeter, or other equipment like that, although at this point I'm willing to go pick one up (for cheap preferrably), as well as anything else I might have to do, like potentially rebuy capacitors.

Thank you for any help you may have, I hope I've kept this in line with what you like in a first post. Try not to laugh too hard at my soldering, first timer
    Attached Files

Re: Samsung 216BW - have I already messed it up?

Have you checked the two fuses red barrel and green torpedo- yes you will need a meter!
    Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

I will try to go find one after work tomorrow, although there is a solid chance I am going away for most of the weekend... I'll get back to you.

That said I don't know what I need to check for or anything if I had one.

Comment

Small bump...

So I need to get a meter, would something like this actually suffice? (http://www.homedepot.ca/product/sper...-tester/963588) I really don't see myself using it for any other applications in the near future and I'd like to avoid spending something like $20 on one. That said, if that one won't do...

Can I get somebody to tell me what I need to check using the meter?

Do I need to provide any more pictures etc?

Comment

Not sufficient, you really need something like one of these

http://www.harborfreight.com/7-funct...ter-98025.html

Very cheap, will do the job.
          Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
          For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

No - it wont do - only measures 80v+
            A basic is something like this
            http://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-LCD-Digit...item3376b22c77

You can get them from china if you want to wait $1 free shipping.
            Didnt know you were in canada - please update your profile with country and voltage. You can get them in USA in some stores for USD5 or so.

Fuses, Voltages Regulators, voltages at connectors, voltages at capacitors.
            Testing batteries.
            Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Thanks. I ordered a multimeter from ebay, hopefully will arrive in not too long. Also updated my profile, sorry about that.

Comment

Hi again! I finally have a multimeter, no thanks to my 30+ day non-arrival from Ebay.

I have looked around at a few FAQS, tried to follow along a bit with regards to measuring a voltage regulator... and I'm pretty lost. Is there anything more comprehensive you can tell me about what I'm supposed to measure?

Do I do any of this while the device is plugged in or is it all strictly unplugged? Any chance of a quick guide to what's what on my board? Maybe some colour coded circles on one of my pictures above - voltage at these points, resistance across here, etc?

I don't want to be a jerk and just have my hand held through the whole process but I'm so lost when it comes to identifying what is what right now and I just want to be able to provide you guys with the necessary info. I will try to adhere as best I can to the reporting format associated with each component, etc.

Edit - I will be attempting to learn more tonight about the whole process by trawling the forums here, but for the next 7 hours I'll be at work. I figured it was worth making a post now and seeing what I'm told when I get home. Thanks for understanding.
                Last edited by dslyecix; 09-19-2012, 07:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X